A rendezvous with Gerald Solomons
By Shanith Fernando
Gerald Solomons is a name synonymous in the beauty industry. A man who has styled who's who of the world from beauty pageants winners around the globe to being a trainer, a proprietor and a successful hair stylist who operates the brand name Chagall Salon at Crescat Boulevard and Mount Lavinia Hotel.
Describe yourself in three sentences?
Very different from typical Sri Lankan or foreign males
Innovative; I don't believe in anybody's style but my own.
Too trustworthy; I give people too many chances
What's your motivating
The people who have failed in the beginning and tried and tried and succeeded, all of a sudden, because of their hard work or innovative nature like Richard Branson. These are the people that motivate me.
Biggest lesson you learnt in life?
Don't even trust your best friend in life
What's your success formula?
Hard work, the only way to be successful
The most beautiful and breathtaking destination you been to?
Sri Lanka has everything close together. Within an hour or so it's all different. I am not saying because I am Sri Lankan but this is my opinion.
Three vices you wish to get rid of?
Addiction to clothes
Workaholic, so need to wind down a bit
Favourite dress code, designer label, favourite drink and favourite cuisine, and music?
To be different – colourful garments, a hat, male jewellery
Marc Jacobs, Dior for more formal attire, Versace new range
More subdued listenable music
Most embarrassing moment in your life?
Yelling at somebody in New Zealand – and it was my next door neighbour, it was later after the shouting I realized it was not their music but a band that was playing in a close-by ground..
Your immediate three items in your bucket list?
Go to South America
To open my school of hair dressing
To be alive forever
Advice to your younger crowd?
For Sri Lankans – learn English, work hard, put your heart and soul into whatever you want to be, even if you are a road sweeper, do it well and then own the company. Follow your dreams, they do come true eventually.
- One Final Offer From the EU to the UK
- Anti-Dumping Bill Gazetted Protection for Local Industries
- Tourism Statistics SLTDA disputes CCC
- Smugglers detained at BIA
- SI injured during hooch raid Falls from third floor balcony
- 1070 traffic fatalities in 2017 121 murders during same period - Police
- Rattota Police OIC suspended
- Technical error in Diversity Visa Programme DV-2019 US Embassy says re-register
- Dr. Rajitha Senaratne addressing the WHC in Berlin:Effective NC Disease control by 2020
- Janjua meets Ranil
- UNP Annual Convention after the Budget
- Speaker instructs Finance Ministry:Appoint team to act on COPE findings
- Villagers ask for return of Iranaitheevu
- Mezhivanam Villagers face severe hardships Malnourishment on the increase
- UNP is drifting like a rudderless ship Pradeep
- Meteoroid crash over southern coast
- Speaker instructs Finance Ministry: Appoint team to act on COPE findings
- New Constitution People mislead by false propaganda AFRIEL
- Death threats to Bonds Probe witness CID launches probe
- Kiriella reveals he has Rs 400 M in bank accounts
- Festering SAITM issue President to address the nation
- Ransomware could affect smartphones – SLCERT
- Ranil slams media on Prelate’s statement Diyawadana Nilame to be questioned
- Corruption, fraud and misappropriation COPE finds 15 State bodies guilty Losses to Govt runs into billions
- Quo Vadis, China?
- Sadeera’s inclusion will strengthen batting Sri Lanka face uphill task
- Anika into semis in Singapore
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Schools Cricket 15-year-old Pawan scores century
- Sheoran takes Sri Lanka Golf title in thriller
- Century-makers on ODI debut
- Hazard rescues Chelsea
- Hamilton in driving seat for fourth world title
- The best I can do is answer with my bat : Imam-ul-Haq
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Div.I Schools Cricket Ehelepola scores century
- 15th Blue and Gold Hockey Sevens next weekend
- All Island Schools U-20 Hockey Championship Seethadevi emerge champions
- AVIC Powers Astoria Women’s Futures Tennis
- Kusal Perera ruled out from Pakistan T20Is
- De Villiers hits thrilling century
- Sri Lanka ‘A’ tour of West Indies 2nd Four day match starts today
- Sluggish Sri Lanka move slowly
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Schools Cricket St. John’s Jaffna create major upset
- SL women’s tour of WIndies T20 matches start today
- Sri Lanka approaching Pakistan visit cautiously
- Wattala Antonian Sixes 2017 this weekend
- Sustainability a priority for Port City Project
- National Chamber hosts Iranian Ambassador
- Fair demand for Ceylon Tea from Japan, China
- China third quarter growth meets expectations at 6.8%
- The rise of consumerism Thorstein Veblen’s conspicuous consumption now a global phenomenon
- HNB announces seasonal discounts
- Janashakthi takes home Gold at Effie Awards
- Standard Chartered running seasonal promo
- Dialog launches first TIER III Certified Data Centre in Sri Lanka
- CSE to add dollar-denominated board
- SAP benefits in tea industry
- Palladium Holdings aims to spur infrastructure development
- CA Sri Lanka National Conference acquires top industry sponsors
- CDB Sisudiri celebrates 10th anniversary
- Mobitel debuts NB-IoT Network at Techno 2017
- Tobacco farmers seek divine assistance To avert imminent tobacco cultivation ban
- Another Effie Gold win by MullenLowe
- Asian shares trade mixed After China GDP meets expectations
- Economy hurt by poor collaboration and extensive state involvement
- BOI defends Indian footwear giant Veekesy’s Sri Lankan presence
- LAW OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE Part XIX Joinder of Charges III
- Implications of Provincial Police Departments
- Cairo: Most dangerous megacity for women
- Proxy Waiting
- Shortage of Science Graduates
- Fall of Raqqa
- UN urges B’desh to move Rohingya refugees
- Flu shots are the greatest medical fraud in the history of the world
- Sucking it up
- Ahikuntika community of Sri Lanka Diminishing cultural traits
- Large Industrial Zone for Thulhiriya
- Even the PM should be in Prison for the frauds
- Would like more Pradeshiya Sabhas for N’Eliya-Radhakrishnan
- Skills mismatch a massive economic cost Education system must be reformed
- Federalism is the antithesis of separatism Wiggy
- UNHRC Resolution 30/1 Implications for Sri Lanka (Part II) (Based on a presentation to the OPA)
- Electoral Reforms are for People’s Benefit
- Managing perception with international community
- Salient points of horoscope Assessment
- KARMIC CONNECTIONS IN THE BIRTH CHARTS 2
- Dream of travelling abroad?
- Mystery behind Osama bin Laden explained
- Three poses to relieve trauma
- Socio-economic developments from critical perspective
- KAZUO ISHIGURO – THE NEW NOBEL LAUREATE
- The Fairway Galle Literary Festival 2018 –Internationally acclaimed authors to take part
- Portrayal of country and nature
- Resonant Field Imaging - a Marvel in Technology
- Shankar’s International Children’s Competition 2018
- Hindustani Violin recital
- Classical rendering of a masterly-crafted musical
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Making plus-sized clothing trendy
- Pyjamas go viral as well - Sharmila Srikumar
- Giving back to Society
- Double treat at Pinnawala
- Mental illness a health issue Replacing stigma with compassion
- Studying to be ahead