Eating egg local style
By Yashasvi Kannangara
Scrambled eggs are a simple dish. A simple dish of lightly whisked eggs seasoned with a pinch of salt that is heated and cooked in a shallow pan with melted butter for about a minute or so before being stirred or broken apart and served warm, while still somewhat moist and fluffy, with a side of toast. Well, at least, that is what it used to be.
Since they were first mentioned in the 14th century Italian book Libro Della Cucina, this seemingly basic egg dish has evolved in leaps and bounds, spreading across continents (thanks to the Europeans and their colonial conquests), taking on flavours and characteristic of various indigenous cuisines finally becoming a multi-cultural breakfast special that is spiced with regional fare and a host of colourful ingredients.
Today the humble scrambled egg is made in so many different ways that it's quite difficult to assign a recipe to it. But, I thought I'd share with you my most recent take on it; which I made on a monsoon-kissed morning at home. You can play with the ingredients of the dish as I too have done to make it your own and not let leftovers go to waste (in this instance I have used leftover chickpea).
I hope you have fun creating your own version of my Lankan Scrambled Eggs and enjoy it on a blissful morning at home.
Lankan Scrambled Eggs
• 1 tbsp Virgin Coconut Oil
• 4 large Eggs
• 1/3 cup boiled Chickpeas
• 1 Onion, sliced
• 4 cloves Garlic, crushed
• 2 Curry Leaves
• 1/3 cup baby Shrimp
• Splash of Milk
• 1 Green Chilli, sliced
• Pinch of Chilli Flakes
• Squeeze of Naarang (Mandarin) Juice
• Salt to taste
1. Heat the coconut oil on a shallow skillet and add the onion, garlic and curry leaves to it.
2. When they begin to sweat and slightly brown, add the chickpea.
3. Now add the shrimp and fry until it takes on a bright pink hue.
4. To this, add the eggs (break them in, one at a time) and milk. Season with salt.
5. Let the eggs slightly form before stirring the mixture and combining all ingredients together.
6. Take off the heat immediately and serve on a slice of toast.
7. Sprinkle green chilli and red chilli flakes on top, add a squeeze of fresh naarang juice and dig in!
*Chef's note: You can replace the shrimp with any meat and the chickpea with a legume of your choice. If you do add tomatoes to the dish, the naarang juice at the end is unnecessary.
- Khaleda Zia’s conviction and its repercussions
- China is biggest impediment to Korean reunification
- Trump’s Budget Priorities: Crimes Against Humanity?
- Mahanayake Thera of Asgiriya Chapter says Unity Govt should be scrapped
- Corruption case against Wimal on 16 May
- Govt won’t last till next General Election - JO
- Lankan fisherman yearns to return home
- EU awards 18 schols To promote sustainable consumption and production
- Ready for a rally
- Harassing tribal woman Lankan held in Andhra Pradesh
- People are very angry says Mavai
- Awards for bright religious students
- Delimitation Committee Report Govt must hold APC CaFFE
- Father of two requires urgent kidney transplant Seeks public help to raise Rs 1.5 M
- 2014 Aluthgama riot Govt to compensate victims in March & April
- Gajaba Regiment hands out schols
- Leadership training for principals suspended
- PAFFREL urges Appoint maximum number of women possible
- Tender irregularities hinted at A/L Tab Project temporarily suspended Project is being re-evaluated Rajitha
- CID wants INTERPOL ‘Red Notice’ on Mahendran
- Inquest into Bellanwila thera’s death Coroner complains to IGP Claims Boralesgamuwa Police ignored warnings
- 14 Hump Nosed Lizards born at Dehiwala Zoo
- EC informs party secys and ind group leaders 25% of 8,356 elected must be women Speaker says 25% quota not scrapped
- SL bidder for EAP Group chastises CBSL Over negotiation process
- Non-renewal of MoU Unity Govt cannot continue – Opposition
- In form CR to try and outmatch Kandy
- Havelocks face Navy SC at Race Course
- Madushanka doubtful for Nidahas Trophy
- SLSRFA to conduct workshop
- Trinity close on heels of St. Aloysius
- Khan leads Afghanistan to thumping series win
- Sri Lanka face India in the curtain raiser
- Third doping scandal hits Games
- Bayliss willing to step aside as T20 coach
- Brazilian match abandoned after brawl
- Shirantha promises transparency and accountability in NOC
- Rashid, Bumrah joint No.1 in ODI rankings
- Wigan shock Man City
- Black Caps coach rejects call to scrap T20
- Richmond in comprehensive win
- Arsenal announce record shirt deal with Emirates
- Olympics reels as ‘clean’ Russian curler hit by doping case
- Kandy SC too good for Airmen
- Red Stars SC emerge division I champions
- Hundreds participate in CISM Run
- Sampath Bank reports Profit After Tax above Rs 12B
- Dfcc Bank records impressive performance in 2017
- Hayleys Advantis partners IRONMAN 70.3 Colombo
- SL troops facelift Sakkotei tourist attraction
- Pantum becomes distributor for EWIS Peripherals
- Hyundai Lanka appoints AutoMaasters as authorized dealer in Jaffna
- Will online retailing outdo traditional retailing?
- Sarvodaya Finance joins LankaPay Common ATM Network
- JLanka Technologies to participate at Architect 2018
- Edirisinghe Brothers’ Hybrid Hub, SLIC to open Hybrid Vehicle Clinics
- NDB holds all-night Pirith ceremony
- AI-powered Dialog Voice Agent now on Google Assistant
- SLIM represents SL at prestigious conference in Asia
- NTB American Express travel around the world winners to visit five cities
- Munchee Super Cream Crackers ranks on top
- Ceylinco Life donates High Dependency Unit to Kalubowila Hospital
- Asian shares slip as dollar firms
- Cabinet approval underway for National Audit Bill Bill to be tabled in Parliament shortly
- Unpoliticized Maritime Promotion Bureau required: Ports Authority Chairman
- ComBank licensed for Microfinance operations in Myanmar
- Subramanian Swamy’s love-hate relationship with Sri Lanka
- Tea, haircuts and fish bones Letting the light into Pakistan
- REVISITING SRI LANKA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- Howlers that wreck language
- Pursuing Peace The UN’s lack of accountability
- Welcome to Earth
- Can nuclear technology zap hunger?
- Bouncing back from LG election drubbing
- Trapped by the system Ethiopian workers in Lebanon see no freedom
- Current Marketing Practices Customer is King! Does it really apply to us?
- Gota is Lankan Putin – Gammanpila
- President and PM are responsible for the election results
- Basil says…Await the return of ‘Spiritual Leader’ MR
- Rajapaksas’ Presidential hopeful is Gota
- Sins of the past Govt cannot be forgotten- Anura Kumara
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- REV. PROF BELLANWILA WIMALARATANA THERA
- Why Masses Brought Victory to Past President
- White Sapphire absorbs the power of Venus
- Partial eclipse that occurred on Feb 16
- Effects of Sun in Aquarius
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Never say never to anything!
- What’s In My Bag I want to carry my dog Ricky Ruchira
- Indian Elegance Raaya Clothing & Accessories
- Election promises that took people for a ride
- 7 killed in Florida school shooting by former student: sheriff
- Man with moustache who went to Rajarata a thousand times in a ramshackle Jeep