PlushBox An exclusive gift curation service
By Zainab Faizal
Whether it's for a member of your family or for that special someone, we want to go the extra mile to make sure that everything is perfect for a special occasion! Yet, how often do you come across an exclusive curated gifting service in Sri Lanka that goes beyond the generic combo of chocolates, flowers and cakes?
PlushBox is Sri Lanka's newest gifting experience, founded by two dynamic women who are childhood friends. Their passion and background in design and gift-giving has made them innovators in the local gifting scene (which has been stagnant for much more than a decade now). And with that, the secret's out - PlushBox is your go to, for customized, personal and thoughtful gifting!
So you've got yourself a decent budget and you know what you want to get her/him, but you want to go that extra mile. Perhaps a beautifully wrapped pouch of her favourite marshmallows or his much loved shower gel, will do the trick. Incorporate all that, with a few more goodies, your favourite things and exclusive packaging that'll melt your heart, (like it did mine!).
PlushBox created the coolest box for me, and I wondered how they did it? It was simply by offering me a quick questionnaire to finds out some personal information!
Here are the questions I put forward to the ladies behind PlushBox:
1. Tell me a little about
We are career driven, creative women.
Alee – I'm a loud, fun, people's person who loves to sing and binge watch TV series. I enjoy thinking beyond the norm, doodling and can eat a 14" cheese pizza in one sitting. No really.
Naf – And I'm more of the introvert who loves spending my free time at home with my cat and watching a ton of YouTube (thankfully this does count as research for PlushBox!). I'm a bit of a baker, artist and dreamer. We are opposites and tend to balance out each other's personalities very well.
2. What inspires you?
We are both inspired by the small things. Our favourite however, is being surrounded by creative, like-minded people who are full of support, ideas and unique perspectives. We feed off positive energy and anyone who is down to have an open chat can really get us going!
3. What initiated PlushBox?
Alee – Being in a long-distance relationship, I was often let down by other gifting services that had your typical gift options- nothing unique and inspirational. I constantly felt as though gifting services in Sri Lanka could do much more.
Naf – Furthermore, having lived abroad most of my life, I struggled with finding local online gifting services that I could use for my loved ones in Sri Lanka. I love giving gifts, particularly going the extra mile with personalisation and packaging and to me, gifting something generic has always been a no-no. In many ways finding gifting options locally that resonated with my style has always been a challenge.
We developed PlushBox not only because we saw a significant gap in the market, but also because we wanted to make peoples' lives easier! Expressing your love to family and friends, shouldn't be as hard at it has become. We want our clients to take pleasure in making a loved one smile!
4. How has the response been so far?
Naf – Extremely positive. Our customers inspire and teach us something new every day and we love them for it! We've heard wonderful, touching stories from our clients who used a PlushBox to make a loved one smile and it is these stories that get us through the day.
Alee – We are new in Sri Lanka and are therefore constantly learning and growing. We have incredibly supportive family backing us and have met amazing people who have guided us along with way.
5. Where do you see PlushBox in
Naf – While we will always continue to create gorgeous personalised gifts for our customers, we also aim to dominate corporate gifting in Sri Lanka.
Alee – Furthermore, in 5 years we hope to be promoting an extensive list of cult local products and working with several great local SMEs. Our aim is that in 5 years, we can curate using exclusively local products.
6. What would you like to tell young female entrepreneurs in Sri Lanka?
This is our time! Look around you, draw inspiration, just as we do, from other Sri Lankan ladies who have ventured into running their own businesses and starting empires. Be strong, stand your ground and persevere! There's so much that can be done if you love what you do.
7. What kind of products do you focus on boxing?
While we do curate using internationally sourced products, we are always on the hunt for equally great local products. We tend to prefer brands that are under-dogs, the ones who aren't hyped up enough. Further, we support small scale local businesses and promote products that are organic, fair trade and sustainable.
It is always important to us and we would be more than happy to receive the PlushBoxs we send out. Therefore, one of the key parts of our process is testing and using the products that we box. If we don't like it, it doesn't go in!
8. What has been the greatest challenge you've come across?
As a start up, it has been challenging to balance time, resources and cost. We initially just divided tasks and got them done, but as we grow, we've had to learn how to prioritize and manage time efficiently. There is a point where you feel like your capacity has to increase and you have to keep an eye on cost to ensure it is in line with finances. Figuring out this equation has been quite daunting.
Want to know what's inside my box in detail? Check out the vlog I posted on my Instagram! @queen_bae_1926
PS – Plushbox also has precurated boxes if you're too lazy to curate one or wish to purchase a box immediately!
You can follow them on [email protected]
Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- India joins Wassenaar Arrangement
- A story of two blockades New York City and Yemen
- Merkel’s Germany: Shaper or Taker of a United Europe?
- Wiggy request voters to elect honest politicians
- No Natural Disasters but man-made ones –Prof. Gomes
- Rejected nomination lists SLPP packed with incompetent people – Sagala
- ‘Samurdhi Shakthi’ to be launched To showcase Samurdhi families’ talents
- Chinese worker plunges to his death at Mahabage
- Garbage mounts at Gampaha Hospital Row over incinerator
- LG Elections JVP offers protection to ‘clean’ officials
- SLFP to launch manifesto this week
- President at SLMA
- Scuffle inside temple premises Chief Monk, two others injured
- Postal Unions threaten to Strike Demand for a ‘Closed Service’
- Russian ban on Lankan tea Govt ignored earlier warning - Udayanga
- Govt has no foreign policy - Namal
- CEB unions in strike threat Over simmering bonus issue
- Malaysian PM arrives
- Russian tea row President to contact Putin
- Beetle in Lankan tea shipment to Russia Exporter to be spared says Pethiyagoda
- Canadian Police probe ‘suspicious’ deaths of billionaire couple
- Stock Market Investor losses extend to Rs 94B
- Use of polythene in political rallies CEA to take on offenders
- Draft Legislation HRCSL advice not sought – UN Experts
- Drugs and drug users on the increase
- Sri Lanka dismissed for 215 in 3rd ODI
- Bowling in T10 can help T20 skills - Amir
- Dialog Champions League Java Lane beat Navy SC
- Army in nerve racking win
- Russia making progress over doping says Coe
- Australia close to Ashes glory
- County grind 'sucks pace' out of England quicks Finn
- Nidahas Trophy 2018 SL skipper formally invites India SLC
- One dead as fans clash after Algeria derby
- Real retains Club World Cup
- Ronaldo wants to retire at Real
- 31st NYSC-Rupavahini Volleyball Tournament CEB and SLAF win men’s/women’s titles
- City make it 16 in a row
- Dialog President’s Gold Cup Volleyball Championship finals commence today
- Premier League Inter Club Cricket Tournament High scoring draw at CCC
- Dhawan, spinners seal series for India
- Premier League – Tier ‘B’ Navy and Air Force win
- Visakhapatnam will favour the home team Batsmen to dominate decider
- Jadeja hits six sixes in an over
- Ntini’s son Thando in SA U-19 World Cup squad
- SLTB AND TEA CHAIRMEN ENDORSE NO PERIL, BUT AUCTION PRICES COULD DIP
- Commercial agriculture in Wet Zone will reap high rice yields CBSL Governor Dry Zone yields low, measures needed to arrest disturbing trend
- Treasury sells dollars to CBSL From H’tota Port proceeds
- Unions go back on their word - SriLankan Chairman
- Make up your minds – Harsha tells businessmen
- Recognition for SL power supplier
- Rupee down 2.54-2.61% YoY
- GDP rate shows positive trend
- Asian stocks come under pressure as dollar struggles
- IPM Sri Lanka crowned overall winner at NBEA 2017
- CMA Sri Lanka graduation ceremony 2017
- LOLC Micro Credit felicitates Grade 5 scholarship high-flyers
- The Singing Christmas Tree comes alive once again at MLH
- Com Bank’s Vocational Training flagship CSR project
- Govt backtracks on anti-coal policy Two 600MW coal plants coming up
- Lankan company in pioneering global innovation
- Increasing worker remittances: Not a sign of prosperity
- Russian ban on Sri Lankan tea imports Navin to rush to Russia Ban comes into effect tomorrow, despite preventive efforts
- Dialog, RPC in CSE’s S&P SL20
- ADB loans Government US$ 270 million
- Changing Political Horizons in Sri Lanka?
- Modi’s Gujarat:Installing a Rahul Gandhi Government
- Protect Wilpattu Movement set in motion 5K strong turnout march in peaceful protest to UN office & handover petition
- Concretes & Abstracts Faith, Wayside Shrines & Urban Sprawl
- TGTE using Lawyers to challenge SL’s 6th amendment
- Nat Assets during Prabhakaran’s and Ranil’s heydays
- Mexican drug wars:Women murders on the rise
- Ahead of the LG Polls Identifying 500,000 untagged Lankans!
- Indian movie moguls Avoiding the Weinstein effect
- New Land Draft BiLL Political wrangling hinders ironing out complex land issues
- Maithri should not sit in a Cabinet sans SLFPers
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- Sirisena Presidency - A Parallax View As foretold by Sobhitha Hamuduruwo
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Kemadruma Yoga An evil yoga cancelling all other favourable yogas
- Sun into Sagittarius ‘Kona Month’ has just begun
- Inviting wrath of goddess Lakshmi
- Five Yoga Poses to Calm Your Mind
- Rahu in 7th House and marriage
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- I don’t get asked out
- Homemade apple & Chocolate Bodywash
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES Grinch Cupcakes
- New York Blast Terror charges filed against NY bomber
- Saga of Kohukumbure Rate Rala
- Attygalle murder and John Kotelawala Senior’s suicide