Treasury Bonds Probe Mahendran’s evidence examination ends
The examination of former Central Bank Governor Arjuna Mahendran's evidence was finalized yesterday, after seven days of cross examination.
Former Governor Mahendran's evidence was re-examined by his counsel Romesh de Silva, PC yesterday and maintained to challenge several accusations and suggestions made against Mahendran during his cross examination.
During the re-examination of evidence Mahendran was questioned regarding the breakfast meeting of 26 February 2015, where a Rs 15 billion fund requirement for road......development projects, was noted. He was also inquired as to the procedure that was followed at the 27 February Treasury Bonds auction.
Mahendran, responding to this, claimed that correct procedures were followed where Rs 10 billion was accepted by the Public Debt Department, despite his suggestion to keep Rs 20 billion which had been collected through bids. He noted that the accepted sum had not been challenged by the CBSL Tender board and the monetary board.
On the matter of the conflict of interest between Mahendran and his son-in-law Arjun Aloysius of Perpetual Treasuries Ltd., Mahendran maintained absolute innocence.
Here, Mahendran's counsel claimed that the group from the Attorney General's Department, which provide legal advice to the CBSL, could have pointed out this conflict of interest between the CBSL Governor and a primary dealer who happens to be his son-in-law.
This was met with mocking laughter by the representatives of the AG's Department.
Mahendran continued to maintain that he did nothing wrong and that he did not give information to Arjun Aloysius or the PTL.
He claimed that he had ensured the correct procedure during the Treasury Bonds auction and added that the removal of the five percent penal rate had been according the due process. As his counsel highlighted, Mahendran had "worked tor the best of his ability for the best of the CSBL and the country."
Following this, Commissioner, Supreme Court Judge Prasanna Jayawardene put several questions to Mahendran regarding the accounting standards maintained by the CBSL and a number of transfers he had signed during his tenure.
- Quo Vadis, China?
- Why Americans are no longer dynamic
- Pardon and release the 158 Tamil remand prisoners
- Workshops to develop tourism in the East
- SWOAD promotes rights of migrant workers
- PAFFREL seeks Gazetting of Elections Amendment Bill
- CMB Port City: Work will be completed by 2019– Sagala Ratnayaka
- AKD’s RTI request from TRC pending a reply
- Alliance Française gets new library & information corner
- Give more women & youth a chance – March 12 Movt
- SL and Pakistan to consolidate bilateral relations
- Missing girls surrender to Police Three charged with abduction
- Amaraweera claims life in danger
- For energy security SL to enter into agreement with Qatar
- Sex spray puts 3 girls in hospital
- JVP to sue Johnnie for Rs 500 M
- Hosting SAARC Summit Pakistan assured of SL’s support
- International Conventions and Debasement of Legislative Process Part II
- Developing education sector Will take tough decisions – Akila Viraj
- Guangzhou looking for investment opportunities – Tu Hongze
- Three women go missing in Orugodawatte
- Awareness on violence against women Mahela and Kumar address students
- Foreign Secretary’s visit to Sri Lanka Pakistan commits to stronger ties
- Sashi to take Ranjan to Court
- allegedly defrauded more than Rs 100mn Employment fraudster remanded
- Kusal Perera ruled out from Pakistan T20Is
- De Villiers hits thrilling century
- Sri Lanka ‘A’ tour of West Indies 2nd Four day match starts today
- Sluggish Sri Lanka move slowly
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Schools Cricket St. John’s Jaffna create major upset
- SL women’s tour of WIndies T20 matches start today
- Sri Lanka approaching Pakistan visit cautiously
- Wattala Antonian Sixes 2017 this weekend
- Golf ‘really healthy’ even without Tiger, says Rose
- Lanka Lions Tag Rugby Sevens Trinity wins cup for fifth time in UAE
- TTSC Softball Cricket ‘Sixes’ 2017 51 Men’s, 7 Women’s teams battle for honours
- Kuldeep cements place in Indian attack
- SL out to save series Batsmen aren’t fulfilling their responsibilities - Managers and Coach Kapugedera likely to play today
- Gunathilaka’s ban revised - SLC Ex-Co
- Sadeera to be included in ODI team
- 130 SRI LANKA AMATEUR GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP 2017 at NUWARA ELIYA Chalitha Pushpika topples indian top seed Sri Lanka 3 out of 4 in SEMI-FINAL
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Schools Cricket Kamindu Mendis scores third ton
- Royal regain E.F.C. Pereira Challenge Trophy
- DSI Supersport Schools Volleyball Championship 2017 Finals just around the corner
- All Blacks coach backs Sonny Bill Williams
- SL remains too protectionist
- Govt. aims $1.6B FDI next year, $2B in 2019
- 70% growth from consumption and investment
- ADB debuts risk sharing to support trade in developing Asia
- SL GDP to grow 7% from 2020 - Mangala
- Retail sector asks for Govt support to boost retail tourism
- Dr. coom in for good times!
- ‘Excon 2017’ Road Show to highlight SL construction sector
- Sri Lanka impresses investors in New York
- West Coast beach front soaring in value
- Asia markets tread water Investors scrutinize China’s Party Congress
- SL among Asia’s fastest adopters of cloud computing
- Hosted by Sri Lanka-China Business Cooperation Council
- Toyota Lanka contributes Hybrid Learning Centre to AETI
- Value of social networking yet to be determined
- Sri Lanka to inaugurate performance art center for tourists
- Guangzhou Govt representatives positive about investing
- Lanka Hospitals & Sri Lanka Heart Association to mark World Heart Day
- BBDO Lanka strikes gold at Effies
- Sampath Bank celebrates ‘Thrift Month’ with eco-friendly gifts
- Implications of Provincial Police Departments
- Cairo: Most dangerous megacity for women
- Proxy Waiting
- Shortage of Science Graduates
- Rice Revolution Simply a Catalyst or more…?
- Fall of Raqqa
- UN urges B’desh to move Rohingya refugees
- Flu shots are the greatest medical fraud in the history of the world
- Sucking it up
- Ahikuntika community of Sri Lanka Diminishing cultural traits
- Even the PM should be in Prison for the frauds
- Would like more Pradeshiya Sabhas for N’Eliya-Radhakrishnan
- Skills mismatch a massive economic cost Education system must be reformed
- Federalism is the antithesis of separatism Wiggy
- Kiriella has no right to ask me not to speak-Handunnetti
- UNHRC Resolution 30/1 Implications for Sri Lanka (Part II) (Based on a presentation to the OPA)
- Electoral Reforms are for People’s Benefit
- Managing perception with international community
- Salient points of horoscope Assessment
- KARMIC CONNECTIONS IN THE BIRTH CHARTS 2
- Dream of travelling abroad?
- Mystery behind Osama bin Laden explained
- Three poses to relieve trauma
- Socio-economic developments from critical perspective
- KAZUO ISHIGURO – THE NEW NOBEL LAUREATE
- The Fairway Galle Literary Festival 2018 –Internationally acclaimed authors to take part
- Portrayal of country and nature
- Resonant Field Imaging - a Marvel in Technology
- Shankar’s International Children’s Competition 2018
- Hindustani Violin recital
- Classical rendering of a masterly-crafted musical
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Making plus-sized clothing trendy
- Pyjamas go viral as well - Sharmila Srikumar
- Giving back to Society
- Double treat at Pinnawala
- Mental illness a health issue Replacing stigma with compassion
- Studying to be ahead