Treasury Bonds Auction Probe PTL’s ex-Chief dealer makes startling revelation Says over Rs 90 M paid as bribes for Info
BY Kavindya Chris Thomas
Startling new evidence surfaced at the Presidential Commission of Inquiry (PCoI) probing the Treasury Bond auctions of the Central Bank, yesterday. It was revealed that Perpetual Treasuries Ltd., had been bribing informants in order to receive confidential information from State institutions.
Returning to the dock once again, the former chief dealer of PTL, Nuwan Salgado, conceded that, since its inception, PTL has made payments of over Rs 90 million, to several informants, in exchange for price sensitive confidential information from several State institutions, including the Employees Provident Fund (EPF).
Salgado was giving evidence based on a document, provided by the Attorney General's Department, showing a number of payments made by Perpetual Treasuries Ltd., (PTL) to its other companies in the group. Salgado capitulated that he had updated and maintained this document during his tenure at the PTL, on the verbal instructions from Kasun Palisena - the CEO of PTL.
The document also records payments made to three individuals under the aliases 'Charlie', 'Car' and 'Tango', who had been referred to as informants. Salgado noted that he had entered this reference. He added that Palisena had also seen the document but claimed he was unaware that the three individuals were informants.
Here, Salgado identified the individual referred to as 'Charlie' as PTL's primary contact at EPF. He noted that the code name had not changed even though the primary contact had been replaced twice and added that the code names were used to ensure anonymity. Salgado added: "I don't know why the payments were paid. Many things gave me the idea that they would have given sensitive and confidential information in exchange."
The document also records 18 such payments between 17 July 2014 and 30 December 2014.
Commissioner, Supreme Court Justice Prasanna Jayawardene, at this point noted that according to this information, the PTL has paid over Rs 90 million to informants since the establishment of the company. Salgado agreed.
Commissioner Jayawardene: "From this information, it appears that PTL has bribed informants for confidential information since its inception."
Salgado: "It would seem so, my lord."
Salgado was also asked if he knew the identities of 'Tango' and Car' and whether they refer to other State institutions, which he was unaware of.
He noted that the previously discussed alias 'Little Johnny' was a reference to Employee's Trust Fund and its primary contact while the alias 'Wolverine' was in reference to the National Savings Bank and its primary contact.
PTL counsellor Kalinga Indatissa will cross-examine Salgado on the new evidence today.
Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- India joins Wassenaar Arrangement
- A story of two blockades New York City and Yemen
- Merkel’s Germany: Shaper or Taker of a United Europe?
- Wiggy request voters to elect honest politicians
- No Natural Disasters but man-made ones –Prof. Gomes
- Rejected nomination lists SLPP packed with incompetent people – Sagala
- ‘Samurdhi Shakthi’ to be launched To showcase Samurdhi families’ talents
- Chinese worker plunges to his death at Mahabage
- Garbage mounts at Gampaha Hospital Row over incinerator
- LG Elections JVP offers protection to ‘clean’ officials
- SLFP to launch manifesto this week
- President at SLMA
- Scuffle inside temple premises Chief Monk, two others injured
- Postal Unions threaten to Strike Demand for a ‘Closed Service’
- Russian ban on Lankan tea Govt ignored earlier warning - Udayanga
- Govt has no foreign policy - Namal
- CEB unions in strike threat Over simmering bonus issue
- Malaysian PM arrives
- Russian tea row President to contact Putin
- Beetle in Lankan tea shipment to Russia Exporter to be spared says Pethiyagoda
- Canadian Police probe ‘suspicious’ deaths of billionaire couple
- Stock Market Investor losses extend to Rs 94B
- Use of polythene in political rallies CEA to take on offenders
- Draft Legislation HRCSL advice not sought – UN Experts
- Drugs and drug users on the increase
- Sri Lanka dismissed for 215 in 3rd ODI
- Dialog Champions League Java Lane beat Navy SC
- Russia making progress over doping says Coe
- Australia close to Ashes glory
- County grind 'sucks pace' out of England quicks Finn
- Nidahas Trophy 2018 SL skipper formally invites India SLC
- One dead as fans clash after Algeria derby
- Real retains Club World Cup
- Ronaldo wants to retire at Real
- 31st NYSC-Rupavahini Volleyball Tournament CEB and SLAF win men’s/women’s titles
- City make it 16 in a row
- Dialog President’s Gold Cup Volleyball Championship finals commence today
- Premier League Inter Club Cricket Tournament High scoring draw at CCC
- Dhawan, spinners seal series for India
- Premier League – Tier ‘B’ Navy and Air Force win
- Visakhapatnam will favour the home team Batsmen to dominate decider
- Jadeja hits six sixes in an over
- Ntini’s son Thando in SA U-19 World Cup squad
- Neves stunner guides Wolves
- Westbrook nets triple double for Thunder
- Commercial agriculture in Wet Zone will reap high rice yields CBSL Governor Dry Zone yields low, measures needed to arrest disturbing trend
- Treasury sells dollars to CBSL From H’tota Port proceeds
- Unions go back on their word - SriLankan Chairman
- Make up your minds – Harsha tells businessmen
- Recognition for SL power supplier
- Rupee down 2.54-2.61% YoY
- GDP rate shows positive trend
- Asian stocks come under pressure as dollar struggles
- Way forward for village power producers Team Up With Large Developers WB
- Workplace practices not fit for the New Year
- Brexit deal proves critics wrong - Theresa May
- WINNING GLOBAL CEO AWARD, MY SIGNATURE HONOUR Retired Kahawatte Plantations Plc Deputy Chairman and Watawala Plantations Plc Ceo, Dr. Daniel Vasanthakumar Seevaratnam reminisces
- IPM Sri Lanka crowned overall winner at NBEA 2017
- Desktop FriMi wins global Award
- CMA Sri Lanka graduation ceremony 2017
- LOLC Micro Credit felicitates Grade 5 scholarship high-flyers
- The Singing Christmas Tree comes alive once again at MLH
- Com Bank’s Vocational Training flagship CSR project
- Govt backtracks on anti-coal policy Two 600MW coal plants coming up
- Lankan company in pioneering global innovation
- Changing Political Horizons in Sri Lanka?
- Modi’s Gujarat:Installing a Rahul Gandhi Government
- Protect Wilpattu Movement set in motion 5K strong turnout march in peaceful protest to UN office & handover petition
- Concretes & Abstracts Faith, Wayside Shrines & Urban Sprawl
- TGTE using Lawyers to challenge SL’s 6th amendment
- Nat Assets during Prabhakaran’s and Ranil’s heydays
- Mexican drug wars:Women murders on the rise
- Ahead of the LG Polls Identifying 500,000 untagged Lankans!
- Indian movie moguls Avoiding the Weinstein effect
- New Land Draft BiLL Political wrangling hinders ironing out complex land issues
- Maithri should not sit in a Cabinet sans SLFPers
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- Sirisena Presidency - A Parallax View As foretold by Sobhitha Hamuduruwo
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Kemadruma Yoga An evil yoga cancelling all other favourable yogas
- Sun into Sagittarius ‘Kona Month’ has just begun
- Inviting wrath of goddess Lakshmi
- Five Yoga Poses to Calm Your Mind
- Rahu in 7th House and marriage
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- I don’t get asked out
- Homemade apple & Chocolate Bodywash
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES Grinch Cupcakes
- New York Blast Terror charges filed against NY bomber
- Saga of Kohukumbure Rate Rala
- Attygalle murder and John Kotelawala Senior’s suicide