Making plus-sized clothing trendy
By Menaka Indrakumar
Adhisha Dahanayake has created a unique concept of clothing with her brand 'Double XL.' After finding it difficult to get clothes in plus sizes, she decided to start this label to fill a void in the fashion scene. Together with her partners, she created many unique designs and the brand caters to different plus sizes. The journey, however, wasn't easy as she had her fair shares of struggles to make it this far. In conversation with Ceylon Today, Adhisha shares her views on banking, business, fashion and plus size acceptance.
From banking to fashion, what made you change
Destiny in fact took quite a whimsical turn when I unexpectedly realized that I actually have not been engaging in what I am passionate about in my regular 8-5 job in the private sector. I strongly felt that I needed to unleash my inner potential into something which I am passionate about. Something that was dear to me and something through which I can have a significant impact on society.
What have you learnt this far in your journey?
One of the main lessons learnt throughout my journey is to be true to yourself and your market segment. Genuinely try to relate to it and try to speak their language. This is the clear path to success! However, I must add that engaging in a profession that you are passionate in, is much more rewarding than wasting time on something that does not feel quite right. Engaging in an activity one likes is much more satisfying and rewarding than merely engaging in something you clearly don't relate to.
What inspired you to venture into plus size clothing?
I realized that there was a market gap. Honestly speaking, I realized that there was not a single outlet to cater to the plus sized community in Sri Lanka. Curvy has always been the new sexy of course! To bridge this gap, Double XL had to come in to the scene!
Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
In the course of the past 7 years, Double XL has been successful in introducing the hottest trends in keeping with the global fashion arena. We at Double XL have earned quite a reputation as a premier plus size boutique. We want to reach more people and touch their lives! Our plans to expand locally as well as internationally will be revealed to you in due course.
What is your personal size?
Size is relative and should not inconvenience anyone I believe. Big or small, anyone can look quite the bombshell in the right clothing. As long as you're comfortable and confident in your choice of clothing, the world I believe is your ramp! So strut your stuff and walk the walk!
Who is your biggest support and inspiration?
My parents. My late father still remains my biggest source of inspiration and I can still hear his kind words of wisdom and advice as I advance in my journey as a female entrepreneur.
My mother too has been an enormous source of strength and support to me, comforting me in moments of despair and frustration.
On the other hand, my husband and brother, my partners in the business, continue to be my motivation in taking the business towards excellence.
What would you like to say to those who are plus sized?
Being plus size is not being different, plus size is yet another size among other sizes. What makes YOU is being YOU and selecting the right clothing and accessories to compliment your size and build. So my advice is to enjoy and celebrate your size.
How does it feel to be a young and successful businesswoman?
I truly am proud of myself that I am a change wave in a male dominated world. I want to further encourage women to follow their dreams and achieve excellence in their own capacity and conquer the world! I truly feel liberated and empowered. It is actually a nice feeling to know that you are a part of a massive change process that in turn will impact the world in a positive way!
Have you faced body shaming?
As I stated above, size and body shape is simply not being different. We are one among the many diverse sizes and shapes in this world. And I strongly believe that the society should not ridicule or ill-treat humans based on size.
Finally, what does fashion and plus size mean to you?
I strive to provide for the plus sized population of Sri Lanka, to preserve their identity by offering comfortable, trendy, stylish and up-to-date clothing. This will not only boost their confidence, but also make the world aware of the fact that plus size does not compromise on anything, just like a size zero!
Ministry Secretaries should be appointed on Best interest of Public not Minister Lethargy blocking change
- Action against COPE MPs caught talking to Aloysius Speaker to meet party leaders this week
- UNP furious over phone tapping CID, AG’s Dept blamed for ‘media show’
- Treasury Bonds Probe AG to question PM
- Gintota clashes 19 remanded Govt on desperate mission to arrest extremists
- ‘A prisoner in Indian jail on Eelam soil’
- Sagala vows to crush Aava group Police deployed in full strength
- Politico’s son-in-law in school frock drama Teacher threatened after student is reprimanded
- Lanka alarmed over increased smuggling of ‘KG’
- SC to hear Tangalle ASP assault case
- 656 kg Glyphosate nabbed
- FPTP opens gate for undesirables, warns Amunugama
- EC to issue nomination notice on 27th
- NPC Education Minister shuns national flag Sarveshwaran was Chief Guest at school event
- Geological changes in Jaffna – Academics
- Violence against children World Vision launches campaign
- Females from soldier families on SLPP list
- JO goes to CIABOC against five COPE members
- Warrant issued on Jaliya Wickramasuriya For failure to appear in court
- Appuhamy admits to communicating with Aloysius Denies wrongdoing
- Gota’s objections thrown out Avant Garde case to go ahead
- JVP to team up with the devil! Vows to defeat LG polls gazette case
- UNP and JO in ‘secret deal’ to tarnish SLFP – Dayasiri
- CID evidence on COPE members and Aloysius JO urges Speaker to investigate
- An Inconsistent US Assertive China and Asia’s Hobbesian Order
- Jorge Sharp and Citizen Movements:New Momentum for Chilean Left?
- Angelo, Lahiru prop Sri Lanka
- Ritzbury Sir John Tarbat Junior School Athletic Championship 2017 Janadhipathi BV and St. Joseph’s emerge champions
- Air Force, Police look for first win
- Navy defeat lethargic Havies
- CEB emerge Super League Champs
- Rambukwella scores ton
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Buddila steers St. Aloysius
- Pelican SC win
- HNB clinch two titles
- Nadal wins defamation case
- One-legged footballer melts hearts
- Paine handed shock recall for Australia
- Italy's stars fall back to earth in Serie A
- 20th Army Para Athletic Meet 700 Servicemen and 5 Koreans in the fray 2 Korean Olympians provide international flavour
- 47 successful at AASL Technical Officers exam
- England’s May up to speed for Wallabies
- MCA Premier League 2018 MAS and DIMO into Semis
- 34th MBA Inter-Firm Team Badminton Championships 2017 McLarens Group are overall champions
- Fourteen teams for beach tag rugby
- CH in vigorous win over CR
- Aviation sector to be liberalized
- Telcos to lobby against levy
- How 5 massive Trade Deals Have Fared under Trump
- Securing the social licence to operate
- China stealthily pouring money into India
- Managing taxpayer money: Targets, promises and real achievements
- LB Finance reports solid 1H results
- HNB Group posts Rs 16.8 B PBT
- Study on the Non-Banking Financial Industry
- People’s Bank installs ATM at Ella Railway Station
- World’s fastest car redefining education
- Abans Homes Instyle: Furniture of the future
- Transforming Sri Lanka’s real estate landscape
- Access Engineering lays new road along Beira
- Should Sri Lanka become a Tea Hub?
- Amãna Takaful wins at SLIM NASCO 2017
- Glow Skincare aids flood victims through ‘Purple Fashionista’
- Seylan rewards monthly draw winners
- Turkish Airlines to offer stopover in Istanbul
- taxpayer revolt if Republicans kill deduction?
- Best Wishes
- Remembering ‘Dictionary Johnson’
- Budgetary design of blue green enterprise
- A Time of Gifts Different Perspectives
- We were forced to work like animals
- Concretes and abstracts Two comics at the Savoy in London
- Row over beer tax
- Illegal mining Muttur’s sandy secret Hundreds of tons of sand taken away at night
- PM before Bond Commission tomorrow
- BREXIT Impact on free movement of people
- Wigneswaran’s claim Devanampiya Tissa was a Tamil king An academically naïve proposition Prof Raj Somadeva
- There is no journey with the UNP
- Core values of the UNP are eroding - Pradeep Jayewardene
- UN compensation for Kuwait workers Rs 3.2 B on migrant worker welfare
- Professor Matteo Legrenzi says: Gulf States are not keen on all-out war
- An argument for a new Constitution
- ‘Otriachchi’, ‘Orumiththa Nadu’, ‘Aekeeya Rajya’ and unitary state
- A Constitutional Framework for Sri Lanka
- PAST LIFE AND RULING PLANETS IN KRISHNAMURTHI PADHDHATHI
- Build before onset of Kona Masa
- Palms of road accident victims
- Want to get rid of malefic Saturn ?
- Installing doors and windows according to Vastu
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Vibrancy of classical Sinhala poetry
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Conquering Fashion
- Gavin Ryan’s Salon Professionalism to the next level
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE THE CRANBERRY ADVENTURES
- Calamitous Earthquake in Iran
- Scientists warn of ‘giant leap backward’ at climate talks
- Death of Ananda Senaratne