China third quarter growth meets expectations at 6.8%
China's economy grew 6.8% between July and September according to official data released Thursday, slowing slightly from the previous quarter.
The growth rate, which compares expansion with the same three months in the previous year, met forecasts.
The latest GDP figures are still above Beijing's annual growth target of 6.5% for 2017.
The world's second-largest economy is trying to rein in debt and contain a housing bubble without hurting growth.
Those efforts are expected to have weighed on economic activity in some parts of China, but growth has been supported by higher-than-expected rise in trade and bank lending.
The result followed growth of 6.9% in the first and second quarters of the year.
"A less supportive fiscal policy stance and slower credit growth should result in a slowdown over the coming months," said Capital Economics China economist Julian Evans-Pritchard.
The figures come as China holds its Communist Party congress to determine the country's direction for the next term. President Xi Jinping said the country will deepen economic and financial reforms and further open its markets to foreign investors, amid disappointment from some foreign executives and analysts about the pace of reform.
"China's economy has been transitioning from a phase of rapid growth to a stage of high-quality development," Xi said when he opened the congress on Wednesday.
The country wants to wean its dependence away from export-led growth and toward domestic consumption. Since the global financial crisis, China's economic growth has slowed, from an average of 10% a year in the previous three decades to a rate of 6.7% last year.
Some are slightly more optimistic about the path ahead. The country's central bank governor said earlier this week that the Chinese economy could grow 7% in the second half of this year, while emphasizing that more needed to be done to reduce the risks from a rapid increase in debt levels.
Other data providing insight on the health of China's economy was also released on Thursday.
Retail sales rose 10.3% in September from a year earlier, edging down slightly from analysts' expectations for a 10.2% rise. China's factory output grew 6.6% in September from a year earlier, beating expectations, while fixed investment disappointed with a 7.5% expansion in the first nine months of the year.
- India’s Choice: Saintliness Vs Efficiency
- Commercial Credit Japanese Firm moves in
- Man shot dead at Punchi Borella
- SAITM still exists, claims GMFSPA Group to meet Maha Sangha
- Lanka tour operators to visit Pakistan
- Fake sms on petrol shortage again! Leads to panic buying in Kandy
- Zimbabwe's ruling party sacks Mugabe
- Ranil before PCoI today
- Gintota clash masterminded by ex-PS member-Police
- BBS Chief in fiery row with scribe Alleged threat to slap Chandraprema
- SL has executed 76% of the proposals by UPR
- Gintota Unrest:PM calls for official report from IGP
- Action against COPE MPs caught talking to Aloysius Speaker to meet party leaders this week
- UNP furious over phone tapping CID, AG’s Dept blamed for ‘media show’
- Treasury Bonds Probe AG to question PM
- Gintota clashes 19 remanded Govt on desperate mission to arrest extremists
- ‘A prisoner in Indian jail on Eelam soil’
- Sagala vows to crush Aava group Police deployed in full strength
- Politico’s son-in-law in school frock drama Teacher threatened after student is reprimanded
- Lanka alarmed over increased smuggling of ‘KG’
- SC to hear Tangalle ASP assault case
- 656 kg Glyphosate nabbed
- FPTP opens gate for undesirables, warns Amunugama
- EC to issue nomination notice on 27th
- NPC Education Minister shuns national flag Sarveshwaran was Chief Guest at school event
- Kandy SC in runaway win
- SLC clarifies Dilruwan’s actions
- India take 49 run lead
- Six-year-old wins two Silvers in shooting events
- Renown rout Blue Stars 4-0
- MAS Unichela emerge champions
- Senkadagala Rally
- Air Force SC in 15-7 win over Police SC
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Malshan scores century
- Afghanistan U-19 create history Youth U-19 Asia Cup 2017
- Mahinda College move on to all-island stage
- Glitz Cric Quiz back for its fifth year
- Pogba drives Man Utd fightback
- England in emphatic win
- Neuville wins Rally Australia
- CEB and Air Force emerge volleyball champs
- Angelo, Lahiru prop Sri Lanka
- Ritzbury Sir John Tarbat Junior School Athletic Championship 2017 Janadhipathi BV and St. Joseph’s emerge champions
- Air Force, Police look for first win
- Navy defeat lethargic Havies
- Power plant delays cost Rs 51 B
- 200 to 300 HYDROPOWER PROJECTS ON HOLD
- DSI MD calls for protectionism
- SL to produce sea wave energy
- WB moots PPPs for gender parity
- Menik Farm refugee village gets apparel factory
- Reserves strengthened by $ 74M
- Asian markets end quiet week mixed
- Treasury guarantees of Rs 8,55B sustain 22 public entities
- Will retail apocalypse hit Britain next?
- Huawei creates ‘Smart City Nervous System’
- NDB Capital Scholarship Programme marks 4th year
- Abans wins top retailer and service awards
- How to get rich and mobile banking going social
- A minimalist approach to social media marketing
- Why Moody’s is no longer singing the blues on India
- Women breach world of big oil
- SriLankan Airlines’ marketing activations rewarded
- iflix Sri Lanka opens new office in Colombo
- Aviation sector to be liberalized
- The National Flag A Muddled Tamil voice
- Rohingya children Face a bleak future
- New Constitution:National perspective versus political aspirations
- Pyramid Selling
- Centenary of the October Revolution: 1917 – 2017
- China and Vietnam: Beyond Diplomacy
- Middle East: Kurdish Pawn Sacrificed
- Concretes and abstracts Two comics at the Savoy in London
- Row over beer tax
- Illegal mining Muttur’s sandy secret Hundreds of tons of sand taken away at night
- eLECTRIC AND HYBRID CARS MUST BE PRICED REASONABLY
- Wigneswaran’s claim Devanampiya Tissa was a Tamil king An academically naïve proposition Prof Raj Somadeva
- There is no journey with the UNP
- Core values of the UNP are eroding - Pradeep Jayewardene
- UN compensation for Kuwait workers Rs 3.2 B on migrant worker welfare
- An argument for a new Constitution
- ‘Otriachchi’, ‘Orumiththa Nadu’, ‘Aekeeya Rajya’ and unitary state
- A Constitutional Framework for Sri Lanka
- PAST LIFE AND RULING PLANETS IN KRISHNAMURTHI PADHDHATHI
- Build before onset of Kona Masa
- Palms of road accident victims
- Want to get rid of malefic Saturn ?
- Installing doors and windows according to Vastu
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Vibrancy of classical Sinhala poetry
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Conquering Fashion
- Gavin Ryan’s Salon Professionalism to the next level
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE THE CRANBERRY ADVENTURES
- Calamitous Earthquake in Iran
- Scientists warn of ‘giant leap backward’ at climate talks
- Death of Ananda Senaratne