China third quarter growth meets expectations at 6.8%
China's economy grew 6.8% between July and September according to official data released Thursday, slowing slightly from the previous quarter.
The growth rate, which compares expansion with the same three months in the previous year, met forecasts.
The latest GDP figures are still above Beijing's annual growth target of 6.5% for 2017.
The world's second-largest economy is trying to rein in debt and contain a housing bubble without hurting growth.
Those efforts are expected to have weighed on economic activity in some parts of China, but growth has been supported by higher-than-expected rise in trade and bank lending.
The result followed growth of 6.9% in the first and second quarters of the year.
"A less supportive fiscal policy stance and slower credit growth should result in a slowdown over the coming months," said Capital Economics China economist Julian Evans-Pritchard.
The figures come as China holds its Communist Party congress to determine the country's direction for the next term. President Xi Jinping said the country will deepen economic and financial reforms and further open its markets to foreign investors, amid disappointment from some foreign executives and analysts about the pace of reform.
"China's economy has been transitioning from a phase of rapid growth to a stage of high-quality development," Xi said when he opened the congress on Wednesday.
The country wants to wean its dependence away from export-led growth and toward domestic consumption. Since the global financial crisis, China's economic growth has slowed, from an average of 10% a year in the previous three decades to a rate of 6.7% last year.
Some are slightly more optimistic about the path ahead. The country's central bank governor said earlier this week that the Chinese economy could grow 7% in the second half of this year, while emphasizing that more needed to be done to reduce the risks from a rapid increase in debt levels.
Other data providing insight on the health of China's economy was also released on Thursday.
Retail sales rose 10.3% in September from a year earlier, edging down slightly from analysts' expectations for a 10.2% rise. China's factory output grew 6.6% in September from a year earlier, beating expectations, while fixed investment disappointed with a 7.5% expansion in the first nine months of the year.
- Angry President says Enough is enough
- Sirisena tells Cabinet why SC opinion sought To plan development projects accordingly
- BASL to meet Prez and PM Regarding detrimental statements made by politicos
- Tipsy tussle Cabinet withdraws gazette notification Ban on sale of alcohol to women to remain
- DWC, Police & Armed Forces unite National plan to tackle wildlife related crimes
- NCPA employees union claims: Protector of children employing abuser EANCPA urges Govt to put in place a Child Protection System
- 88-year -old mother of 4 left for dead Bandaragama Police saves the day
- Rejection of SLPP Maharagama MC nominations Court to hear petitions on 19th
- National Child Protection Authority Certain officials under-qualified – Employees Union
- Puzzled by electoral system & disillusioned Public not keen on voting – SANASA
- Malik visits Geneva SL to engage with WEF
- Bond scam debate debacle COPE Chair criticizes Govt
- Threat of further inflationary pressure MER at its lowest
- Edu, info and outreach essential in legislation to ban FGC - Sahiyo
- Cooperation in IT & Electronics Govt signs MoU with India
- Police arrest school bus driver Sans licence, with disabled elbow and hearing defect
- Indian Minister calls on President
- PR Anthonis Memorial Oration on 22 Jan
- LG polls Rival candidate disrupts TNA meeting
- Navy nab 16 Indian fishers
- `Jallicut’ in Kilinochchi
- Thanks giving to reservoir
- Students mark Thai Pongal
- APPGT calls on SL Govt Implement UNHRC resolution
- Aussie U’grads visit SEUSL
- Havies dominate Army
- Djokovic and Sharapova back in business
- Mahrez worth over £100m to Leicester Puel
- Man United put Sanchez saga aside to see off Stoke
- Stokes charged with affray over nightclub fight
- Kiwis win again
- Death of K.Mathivanan’s mother
- Jithara wins double crown
- SLC provides equipment to 14 Clubs
- MCA ‘C’ Division – 50 Overs League Chandula shines for Kanrich Finance
- KDHA 7-a-side hockey Old Kingswoodians emerge champions
- Virat Kohli fined
- Royal Rugby Fiesta on 21 January
- ‘Chandika can’t score runs or take wickets’
- Sri Lanka eying new era
- Du Plessis makes slow progress
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup v
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Gurukula home for lunch
- Parents and coaches criticize SLTT Failure to distribute Rs 1.2 million
- Selection of volleyball coaches Law violators to attend Interview?
- India and Sri Lanka expand IT cooperation
- edotco launches Sri Lanka’s first Smart Lamp Pole on Marine Drive
- Sri Lanka’s e-Commerce transactions up 28% YoY in December: Visa
- Say Hello to 2018 with Emirates
- AIA Real Rewards sees over 7,000 winners in 2017
- Arpico’s ‘Insurance for the living’
- Germany to add China’s yuan to currency reserves
- Lanka Tiles awarded for Social Dialogue and Workplace Collaboration
- The digitization of marketing: A closer look
- eZ Cash rolls out first phase of ATMs in the North
- Islamic Finance Forum, South Asia HNB Al Najaah bags 3 awards
- PickMe recognized at e-Swabhimani Awards
- Ultimate Motorworks launches workshop for high-end vehicles
- Allianz Sisu Diriya scholarships for Grade 5 exam toppers
- Ceylon Leather Products relaunches DI brand
- CATIC holds New Year sports function for China - SL friendship
- NDB relocates Ratnapura branch
- Most Asian markets edge higher
- 2017 apparel earnings to hit $4.7 B Rishad
- SL fails to stick to two IMF benchmarks
- Imposing Civic Liability for the Bond Scam
- With rebel ceasefire in tatters Fears of fresh displacement in Colombia –UN
- The March of Folly Dr. Ranjith Atapattu, an exemplary figure
- Liberia’s development at risk
- Politicos’ image plummets to lowest ebb
- What’s up with the weather?
- Gay and intersex asylum seekers Britain safe haven from persecution
- ‘We don’t want to fool the Sinhalese and get our dues’
- Rohingya insurgents say 10 found in Myanmar grave ‘innocent civilians’
- Thalaivar’s New Avatar
- Upcoming LG Elections a referendum
- No political solution for Tamil grievances in sight – Ananthy Sasitharan
- Division in SLFP main reason for UNP victory
- We don’t endorse Basil’s leadership
- Rogues in all Govts should be punished- Akila Viraj Kariyawasam
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Planetary combines that foreshadow misfortune for father
- Pirith chants for abundant harvest
- Venus into Capricorn
- Vastu and Domestic Animals
- Yoga for Children and Adults with Disabilities
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Trump’s ‘madman’ ACT scared N. Korea to talks
- Calls for ‘revenge’ Israeli settler killed in attack
- Banning of Colombo Journal First English Newspaper
- Sri Lankan author publishes for the world
- Broadway brought to our own shores
- Celebrating the harvest