Google’s parent company leads $1 billion investment in Lyft
By Seth Fiegerman
The ride-hailing wars just got even messier.
Alphabet (GOOGL, Tech30), the parent company of Google, is leading a $1 billion investment round in Lyft, the two companies announced Thursday. Google previously invested in Lyft's chief rival, Uber.
The influx of capital has the potential to further boost Lyft's momentum in the US while Uber tries to recover from a year full of PR crises, executive changes and legal scrutiny.
Lyft remains a distant second to Uber, both in terms of market share and valuation. The latest funding round values Lyft at $11 billion, up from a $7.5 billion valuation in April.
Uber, by comparison, was last valued at $70 billion. It's also close to raising what could be more than $1 billion from SoftBank (SFTBF), a Japanese conglomerate.
Alphabet invested in Lyft through CapitalG, its growth equity investment arm. David Lawee, a partner at CapitalG, will join Lyft's board.
"CapitalG is honored to work with Lyft's compelling founders and strong leadership team," Lawee said in a statement.
"Ridesharing is still in its early days and we look forward to seeing Lyft continue its impressive growth."
In 2013, Google invested $258 million in Uber through a different venture capital arm called Google Ventures, which was later rebranded under Alphabet as GV. Patrick Lenihan, a spokesman for Google, told CNN Tech these two investments are 'operated separately.'
Translation: It's totally not awkward at all. Really.
Google served as an early and powerful ally for Uber by investing a large sum, getting one of its top execs on the startup's board and promoting the app in Google Maps.
The relationship began to crumble as Uber invested in self-driving cars, a key area of interest for Google, and Google began to experiment with ride-sharing, Uber's bread and butter.
David Drummond, an SVP at Alphabet, left Uber's board in 2016 citing 'the overlap between the two companies.' This year, the two companies have faced off in court over allegations Uber used self-driving car technology stolen by a former Google employee.
Even before the investment, Google had begun to align itself with Lyft. Waymo, Alphabet›s self-driving car division, has been working with Lyft on an autonomous car pilot programme.
- Maldives:President Yameen’s relationship with India and the US
- (UN)TRAFFICKED: A platform to combat trafficking in India
- IDPs and Military occupation of Northern land Why correlation between caste and land is ignored
- Three die as car rams into train
- KG discovery in Point Pedro sea 150kg in 60 bags - Navy
- Symposium on alcohol menace
- Tax concessions on used electric cars Extend period to three years – VIASL
- Refusal to hoist National Flag Cooray to seek AG’s opinion
- Gintota mayhem Police to crackdown on rumour mongers
- Lanka Marine Services scandal Vasu flays Govt for delay in probe
- Dedicated Courts to hear sleaze cases Start with Bond issue says JVP
- O/L exam to commence on 12 December
- Ajith P. Perera writes to PCoI Denies conversing with Aloysius
- In the wake of violence Gintota divided into 3 for security – Police Preventable if Police acted sooner -IGP
- Fuel Crisis Hoax CPC goes to the CID
- Only 10 detained under PTA Govt Suspects held on serious terror charges
- Speaker agrees to summon Party Leaders’ meeting Kiriella claims breach of Parliamentary privileges occurred Blames CID and AG’s Dept
- PCoI quashes tapping allegations
- Treasury Bonds Probe PM told Aloysius to resign from PTL
- India’s Choice: Saintliness Vs Efficiency
- Commercial Credit Japanese Firm moves in
- Man shot dead at Punchi Borella
- SAITM still exists, claims GMFSPA Group to meet Maha Sangha
- Lanka tour operators to visit Pakistan
- Fake sms on petrol shortage again! Leads to panic buying in Kandy
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket 20 wickets fall on day one
- Kohli scores 50th international century Bad light saves Sri Lanka
- I want to continue contributing - Kohli
- England motivated as ever even without Stokes
- Wimbledon champion Jana Novotna dies aged 49: WTA
- CMSC – Come and Try Day Out Ranjit Jinasena Memorial Autocross
- Cook captures maiden PGA Tour title
- Walkers Tours regain tag rugby title
- Dialog Champions League 2017 Renown SC occupy top spot
- Record-breaking Valencia maintain Barca chase
- Dimitrov eyes Grand Slam after ATP win
- Bolt to make Aussie cricketers ‘explosive’ runners
- Kandy SC in runaway win
- SLC clarifies Dilruwan’s actions
- India take 49 run lead
- Six-year-old wins two Silvers in shooting events
- Renown rout Blue Stars 4-0
- MAS Unichela emerge champions
- Senkadagala Rally
- Air Force SC in 15-7 win over Police SC
- NITFB settles flood of claims in 2017
- CSE approves LVL Energy Fund IPO
- SLT posts 9- month revenue of Rs 56.4 B
- EU cities fight to gain from London’s losses
- CCC says Pak capitalized while SL dilly dallied
- Asian shares retreat on German coalition impasse
- Alibaba aims beyond China and e-commerce
- FX Management Act flays rupee
- National Chamber Seminar on ‘Budget 2018 – Highlights’
- Canada, Mexico to question US auto content demands
- Brandix JV with Best Pacific, Hong Kong
- Hemas Hospitals Thalawathugoda concludes diabetes awareness drive
- Unilever and MullenLowe most awarded partnership at Effies
- MBSL wins International Europe Award for Quality 2017
- SLIM hosts 16th Brand Excellence Awards
- Asia markets mixed as investors focus on US tax reform
- China’s promised 2030 energy revolution
- Will Europe’s economic miracle be derailed by a central-bank power struggle?
- Meet the world’s youngest self-made billionaire
- Flooding the market with fake rhino horns
- TNA crisis Enmity within
- The March of Folly Restitution with transparency rather than revenge
- The National Flag A Muddled Tamil voice
- Rohingya children Face a bleak future
- New Constitution:National perspective versus political aspirations
- China and Vietnam: Beyond Diplomacy
- Middle East: Kurdish Pawn Sacrificed
- Concretes and abstracts Two comics at the Savoy in London
- Row over beer tax
- Illegal mining Muttur’s sandy secret Hundreds of tons of sand taken away at night
- Eastern Provincial Council destroyed- Hafiz
- eLECTRIC AND HYBRID CARS MUST BE PRICED REASONABLY
- Wigneswaran’s claim Devanampiya Tissa was a Tamil king An academically naïve proposition Prof Raj Somadeva
- There is no journey with the UNP
- Core values of the UNP are eroding - Pradeep Jayewardene
- An argument for a new Constitution
- ‘Otriachchi’, ‘Orumiththa Nadu’, ‘Aekeeya Rajya’ and unitary state
- A Constitutional Framework for Sri Lanka
- PAST LIFE AND RULING PLANETS IN KRISHNAMURTHI PADHDHATHI
- Build before onset of Kona Masa
- Palms of road accident victims
- Want to get rid of malefic Saturn ?
- Installing doors and windows according to Vastu
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Vibrancy of classical Sinhala poetry
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Conquering Fashion
- Gavin Ryan’s Salon Professionalism to the next level
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE THE CRANBERRY ADVENTURES
- Calamitous Earthquake in Iran
- Scientists warn of ‘giant leap backward’ at climate talks
- Death of Ananda Senaratne