My Sister’s Kitchen Good food is happiness! – Thushara Innasithamby
By Menaka Indrakumar
The love of a sister is second only to a mother's love, and it shows in everything she does. Cooking has been a passion for this ex-banker. 'My Sister's Kitchen' is combination of authentic spices and delicious food, served with love.
Started by Thushara Innasithamby in 2014, with regular orders for scrumptious home cooked meals, it is a successful venture that caters to a large clientele.
Recipes which have been passed down from generation to generation, add a special touch to the food. Thushara adds that her family loves cooking and feeding people. After working in the banking sector for 15 years, she decided to pursue her passion and transitioned to catering. She now successfully caters large and small events. The menu, as I found out, is value for money, be it chicken or the potato curry. While the roti was tender, yet filling, the string hopper pilau is also something to try. Best of all, the food was delivered on time and we weren't kept waiting. Here, she speaks to Glamour magazine about business, food and a change in careers.
Why did you choose Jaffna Cuisine?
Our roots are in Jaffna and our palates are used to the flavours. Also, there was a void in the market for this style of food and nothing can beat something close to the heart!
What is special about your preparations?
It's simple home cooking which would taste as if it was cooked by your loved ones.
How many functions have you catered to so far?
We have been in operation for 4 years now and been a part of many functions. It's always good to be a part of great things - we have done all kinds of events – kids' parties, homecomings, birthday parties and big matches. Lately, a couple will be getting married and we can't wait to do the catering to go with their love story.
We love listening to stories and making food to match guests.
What is unique about Jaffna preparations?
It's the spices. Tamarind plays a major role. The dishes are mostly dry and it's very Kerala inspired.
What is your favourite preparation?
Why and when did you start 'My Sister's Kitchen'?
This was started in 2013 and was initiated by my brother and as I could not come up with a name, I ended up calling it 'My sister's kitchen.'
Which recipe do you use most of the time?
My mother's curry powder recipe which gives the unique flavours to the dishes is something that has been passed down many generations now.
What is your brother's favourite dish from your cooking?
For Danu (Innasithamby), he is a fussy eater, a bit of a drama queen and he needs things to be dry. I have to cook separately for him.
From banking to catering, how was the transition?
Banking is my profession and cooking is my passion - the only transition is that I have to work with only flavours, but both these jobs need to end with happy
customers. I think good food gives a 'nicer' sort of happiness and I'm happiest when cooking.
- Power Play in Syria: What Turkish Moves Mean For US And Russia
- Houthis’ Ballistic Missiles Triggering Regional War Or Concealed Iranian Tests?
- Zuma’s Fall: Why is South Africa So Divided?
- Karuna backs SLPP, set to meet Rajapaksa this week MR must merge North and East - Karuna
- Cry Sis! Women insist on 25% quota
- Ban on Philippine workers in Kuwait Increases demand for Lankans Job agents told to seize opportunity
- Lasantha murder suspects re-remanded
- Conference on Disarmament UNSG welcomes SL’s decision
- No show in Court Warrant re-issued on Jaliya
- Lankan maid commits suicide in Kuwait
- SEUSL VC advises new intake
- Aranayake landslide victims Families still languish homeless
- Sivalingam resigns as CWC Chair Thondaman takes over
- Academics come out in support of Ranil
- EC Chair meets Speaker Proposes reforming LG law
- Active Liability Management Bill presented to Parliament
- Govt to initiate artificial rain generation Projects near hydropower plants
- Karu writes to Maldivian counterpart Requests intervention in Malé crisis
- Politicos pontificate on LG Polls result Opposition’s dream of toppling Govt failed – Rajitha Sampanthan accuses MR of racism
- Decision on future of Unity Govt UPFA awaits SC interpretation Thilanga confirms Prez seeking SC opinion on PM’s removal
- More electorates than members - PAFFREL
- Considering the country at large Pro-Sirisena faction to stay in Govt - SB Dissanayake Demand significant changes to power structure
- PCoI Bonds scam and PRECIFAC reports Debate today
- Tighten laws to curb narcotics – Cardinal
- Delimitation Com report handed over
- Black Caps coach rejects call to scrap T20
- Richmond in comprehensive win
- Arsenal announce record shirt deal with Emirates
- Olympics reels as ‘clean’ Russian curler hit by doping case
- Kandy SC too good for Airmen
- Red Stars SC emerge division I champions
- Hundreds participate in CISM Run
- Australia’s most-capped female player Blackwell retires
- Kohli limps off as India beat South Africa in first T20
- Kvitova takes Qatar title to clinch top 10 return
- Real Madrid win eight-goal thriller
- Watson’s wait ends with third Riviera triumph
- Coleman breaks 60m indoor world record
- Federer wins Rotterdam for 97th title
- No majority in Galle UC
- We played as one family – Chandimal
- Pakistan’s Imran Khan marries for third time
- Federer on top of the world
- Man Utd into Cup quarters
- Cavani, Neymar key as PSG rebound from Madrid gloom
- Global interest in Hilton and Hyatt Colombo Hotels
- New rule for hiring SL domestics in UAE
- Cost of construction to go up by 7% - RIU
- DIMO mulls expansion in Cambodia and other ASEAN countries
- BOC appoints new GM/CEO
- Sri Lanka Tourism promotes niche products in India
- ‘Spot’ falls 35 cents to Rs 155.35/45
- Facebook told to stop tracking in Belgium
- Asia trades higher as markets in China on holiday
- Banking restrictions - major barrier to Iran trade relations
- Foreign exits from GSM top $50M
- Seylan Group reports Profit-After-Tax over Rs 5 B
- Huawei to participate at Mobile World Congress 2018
- Fairway Holdings vertical luxury high rise apartments - Elements
- Maha Shivarathri Pooja at Sri Lanka Insurance
- Emirates transports UAE’s first satellite
- Indian Bank ramping up overseas operations
- OPEC and Shale keep oil prices at $60-$75
- EU joins global growth bandwagon
- CHINT launches ‘CHINT POWER Series’ switches and sockets
- Subramanian Swamy’s love-hate relationship with Sri Lanka
- Tea, haircuts and fish bones Letting the light into Pakistan
- REVISITING SRI LANKA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- Howlers that wreck language
- Pursuing Peace The UN’s lack of accountability
- Current Marketing Practices Customer is King! Does it really apply to us?
- Writing project for young Syrian refugees
- The March of Folly A simple solution – Ranil goes
- Civil society group writes to EC, Speaker & Party Leaders DON’T default in implementing 25% quota for Women
- Give women more time to give birth, make choices - WHO
- President and PM are responsible for the election results
- Basil says…Await the return of ‘Spiritual Leader’ MR
- Rajapaksas’ Presidential hopeful is Gota
- Sins of the past Govt cannot be forgotten- Anura Kumara
- Law and order is quite weak
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- REV. PROF BELLANWILA WIMALARATANA THERA
- Why Masses Brought Victory to Past President
- White Sapphire absorbs the power of Venus
- Partial eclipse that occurred on Feb 16
- Effects of Sun in Aquarius
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Never say never to anything!
- What’s In My Bag I want to carry my dog Ricky Ruchira
- Indian Elegance Raaya Clothing & Accessories
- Election promises that took people for a ride
- 7 killed in Florida school shooting by former student: sheriff
- Man with moustache who went to Rajarata a thousand times in a ramshackle Jeep