NCC calls for revenue policy consistency
By Kamal Kandewatta
Though the 2018 Budget includes promising proposals for a progressive future, the National Chamber of Commerce (NCC) of Sri Lanka asserted that the Government had once again lost revenue consistency, signalling that it was an election-oriented Budget. Speaking at a Post Budget Conference, NCC President, S. Samaraweera asserted, "We are happy that next year's Budget has taken initiatives to support SMEs, promote more young entrepreneurships and promote Information and Technology industry (IT) in the country".
"However, as it has always happened, the Government's consistency in revenue collection is lost in this Budget too as in the past. This is a major issue. Because taxes such as the Super Gains Tax could always come under various titles which makes it difficult for the business community to make consistent future plans", Samaraweera lamented.
He also noted,"It is better if the Government could plan revenue policies for the medium or long-term, rather than planning for short-term revenue collection".
On the day before the Budget proposals were announced, the Minister of Finance, Mangala Samaraweera announced a cut down in indirect taxes on several essential goods, which would cost the Government a staggering Rs1.5 Billion monthly.
Deputy President of NCC, N. Buddhipala answering a question noted, "This time around too, proper criteria to get people into the tax net has not been formulated in the Budget proposals".
However, by encouraging those in the informal sector to join the formal sector by providing competitive salaries will be important to get more direct taxes according to Buddhipala.
Another important aspect expressed by NCC experts was that "Even though some people considered the Budget as being a basket of concessions, the Budget is not merely a collection of concessions but envisaged expenditure and revenue of the country".
As the NCC pointed out, progressive proposals included in next year's Budget were mainly covers supporting SMEs, promoting female and youth entrepreneurship and supporting the IT industry.
According to the Budget proposal, under the sub theme 'Creating the Next Generation of Local Entrepreneurs', the Government has proposed to undertake a number of initiatives to promote SMEs and ensure financial facilities to SMEs without any strict restrictions.
In addition, encouraging Sri Lankan women and youth to set new businesses through the 'Enterprise Sri Lanka Credit Scheme'' was another important pledge.
The Budget has also stressed on the IT industry and is expecting to invest Rs 3 billion to achieve $ 5 billion exports from the industry within the next five years.
The Government came in for praise for the promises towards the further facilitation of trade by bringing down para-tariff and implementing Anti-Dumping and Countervailing laws.
NCC also remarked that some promises such as 'Restructuring the Board of Investment as a single window' to facilitate foreign investments rather than being a regulator was an ongoing repetitive clause in almost all recent Budget speeches but were yet to be implemented.
- Power Play in Syria: What Turkish Moves Mean For US And Russia
- Houthis’ Ballistic Missiles Triggering Regional War Or Concealed Iranian Tests?
- Zuma’s Fall: Why is South Africa So Divided?
- Karuna backs SLPP, set to meet Rajapaksa this week MR must merge North and East - Karuna
- Cry Sis! Women insist on 25% quota
- Ban on Philippine workers in Kuwait Increases demand for Lankans Job agents told to seize opportunity
- Lasantha murder suspects re-remanded
- Conference on Disarmament UNSG welcomes SL’s decision
- No show in Court Warrant re-issued on Jaliya
- Lankan maid commits suicide in Kuwait
- SEUSL VC advises new intake
- Aranayake landslide victims Families still languish homeless
- Sivalingam resigns as CWC Chair Thondaman takes over
- Academics come out in support of Ranil
- EC Chair meets Speaker Proposes reforming LG law
- Active Liability Management Bill presented to Parliament
- Govt to initiate artificial rain generation Projects near hydropower plants
- Karu writes to Maldivian counterpart Requests intervention in Malé crisis
- Politicos pontificate on LG Polls result Opposition’s dream of toppling Govt failed – Rajitha Sampanthan accuses MR of racism
- Decision on future of Unity Govt UPFA awaits SC interpretation Thilanga confirms Prez seeking SC opinion on PM’s removal
- More electorates than members - PAFFREL
- Considering the country at large Pro-Sirisena faction to stay in Govt - SB Dissanayake Demand significant changes to power structure
- PCoI Bonds scam and PRECIFAC reports Debate today
- Tighten laws to curb narcotics – Cardinal
- Delimitation Com report handed over
- Black Caps coach rejects call to scrap T20
- Richmond in comprehensive win
- Arsenal announce record shirt deal with Emirates
- Olympics reels as ‘clean’ Russian curler hit by doping case
- Kandy SC too good for Airmen
- Red Stars SC emerge division I champions
- Hundreds participate in CISM Run
- Australia’s most-capped female player Blackwell retires
- Kohli limps off as India beat South Africa in first T20
- Kvitova takes Qatar title to clinch top 10 return
- Real Madrid win eight-goal thriller
- Watson’s wait ends with third Riviera triumph
- Coleman breaks 60m indoor world record
- Federer wins Rotterdam for 97th title
- No majority in Galle UC
- We played as one family – Chandimal
- Pakistan’s Imran Khan marries for third time
- Federer on top of the world
- Man Utd into Cup quarters
- Cavani, Neymar key as PSG rebound from Madrid gloom
- Global interest in Hilton and Hyatt Colombo Hotels
- New rule for hiring SL domestics in UAE
- Cost of construction to go up by 7% - RIU
- DIMO mulls expansion in Cambodia and other ASEAN countries
- BOC appoints new GM/CEO
- Sri Lanka Tourism promotes niche products in India
- ‘Spot’ falls 35 cents to Rs 155.35/45
- Facebook told to stop tracking in Belgium
- Asia trades higher as markets in China on holiday
- Banking restrictions - major barrier to Iran trade relations
- Foreign exits from GSM top $50M
- Seylan Group reports Profit-After-Tax over Rs 5 B
- Huawei to participate at Mobile World Congress 2018
- Fairway Holdings vertical luxury high rise apartments - Elements
- Maha Shivarathri Pooja at Sri Lanka Insurance
- Emirates transports UAE’s first satellite
- Indian Bank ramping up overseas operations
- OPEC and Shale keep oil prices at $60-$75
- EU joins global growth bandwagon
- CHINT launches ‘CHINT POWER Series’ switches and sockets
- Subramanian Swamy’s love-hate relationship with Sri Lanka
- Tea, haircuts and fish bones Letting the light into Pakistan
- REVISITING SRI LANKA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- Howlers that wreck language
- Pursuing Peace The UN’s lack of accountability
- Current Marketing Practices Customer is King! Does it really apply to us?
- Writing project for young Syrian refugees
- The March of Folly A simple solution – Ranil goes
- Civil society group writes to EC, Speaker & Party Leaders DON’T default in implementing 25% quota for Women
- Give women more time to give birth, make choices - WHO
- President and PM are responsible for the election results
- Basil says…Await the return of ‘Spiritual Leader’ MR
- Rajapaksas’ Presidential hopeful is Gota
- Sins of the past Govt cannot be forgotten- Anura Kumara
- Law and order is quite weak
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- REV. PROF BELLANWILA WIMALARATANA THERA
- Why Masses Brought Victory to Past President
- White Sapphire absorbs the power of Venus
- Partial eclipse that occurred on Feb 16
- Effects of Sun in Aquarius
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Never say never to anything!
- What’s In My Bag I want to carry my dog Ricky Ruchira
- Indian Elegance Raaya Clothing & Accessories
- Election promises that took people for a ride
- 7 killed in Florida school shooting by former student: sheriff
- Man with moustache who went to Rajarata a thousand times in a ramshackle Jeep