Sri Lanka dare to dream of India Test upset
Captain Dinesh Chandimal is dreaming of Sri Lanka making history by winning a Test in India despite being huge underdogs against the world's top-ranked side when the series begins in Kolkata on Thursday.
Sri Lanka lost all nine matches - three Tests, five one-day internationals and a Twenty20 international - as they were humiliated at home by Virat Kohli's tourists from late July to September.
The island nation have still never won a Test on Indian soil but they head for Eden Gardens with renewed hopes after winning both Tests against Pakistan in the UAE last month and Chandimal believes dreams can come true.
"We did really well against Pakistan and the boys are in good shape," Chandimal said.
"We know India are the number one team at the moment and have seen them play some really good cricket in the last two years. This will be a challenging series for us.
"We have never won a Test in India. So it's a dream for us to win one this time. We need to start well in this series," he declared.
Sri Lanka lost all three home Tests this year against India inside four days with Chandimal terming it their "worst ever" series.
Coach Nic Pothas, who took over after Graham Ford left in June, said the India debacle had taught his team vital lessons. "We learnt how Indian team does well and the areas we needed to improve," he said.
"It's internal - the discipline, the culture and how the team sticks together," Pothas said.
"The mistake you can make here is to come and be infatuated with the Indian side and concentrating too much on them. We know they are a good side. But we played them months ago," the South African added.
Fifties from Dimuth Karunaratne, Angelo Mathews and Niroshan Dickwella gave Sri Lanka a solid start to the tour in their two-day game against the Board President's XI in Kolkata.
All-rounder Mathews, who is returning from a calf injury that made him miss the Pakistan Tests, will be employed solely as a batsman.
Veteran Rangana Herath will lead Sri Lanka's spin attack, supported by Dilruwan Perera and left-armunorthodox Lakshan Sandakan.
Kohli's Indians are looking to consolidate their top Test ranking and keep their winning run intact on home soil.
The Indians have not lost a home series in any format since being beaten by South Africa in one-dayers in 2015.
India (from): Virat Kohli (capt), Lokesh Rahul, Murali Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Rohit Sharma, Wriddhiman Saha, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Umesh Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Ishant Sharma
Sri Lanka (from): Dinesh Chandimal (capt), Dimuth Karunaratne, Dhananjaya de Silva, Sadeera Samarawickrama, Angelo Mathews, Lahiru Thirimanne, Rangana Herath, Suranga Lakmal, Dilruwan Perera, Lahiru Gamage, Lakshan Sandakan, Vishwa Fernando, Dasun Shanaka, Niroshan Dickwella, Roshen Silva
Ministry Secretaries should be appointed on Best interest of Public not Minister Lethargy blocking change
- An Inconsistent US Assertive China and Asia’s Hobbesian Order
- Jorge Sharp and Citizen Movements:New Momentum for Chilean Left?
- Zimbabwe’s Tailspin: The Lessons for Africa
- Lankan family facing deportation due to MS diagnosis
- Malaysian security forces in SL Undergo sea combat training
- Customs nabs man with gold jewellery
- Pushpadana celebrates 75 years Educational rights for all children - President
- New Samurdhi officers appointed
- Removal of Thondaman’s name India to take up issue with SL
- Int’l Research Conference held at SEUSL
- Three PTA detainees:Solution can be expected on 29 Nov TELO
- Call to promote tourism in East
- Corruption in mega development projects:Revelations soon - Dr. Jayalath
- President Sirisena writes to Lord Naseby Expresses appreciation for furthering SL’s cause
- Non-alignment of Budget proposals Tax consultants complain Chartered accountants highlight exclusion of professionals
- Dr. Nandalal Weerasinghe to deliver Olcott Oration
- Sujeewa and Namal in verbal spat
- Budget 2018 2nd reading passed with 2/3rd majority
- MR issues call to send Govt packing
- Sampanthan flays Rajapaksa Makes emotional plea in House
- Petitioners in LG polls gazette case Yapa, Dayasiri and Dilan among the six - JO
- Treasury Bonds Probe Ranil to appear before PCoI on Monday
- Five COPE members spoke with Aloysius during their sittings
- Harsha speaks at UPR Emphasizes slow and steady approach
- LG Elections gazette petition CA to hear petition on 22 November
- Sevens players given SLR contracts 20 men and 16 women players will be signed on starting November
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Sanjula gets 150 runs
- Lakmal rattles India on rain-hit day
- Curious case of Sri Lanka Winter Sports Association
- Inter Club Rugby League Tournament CR clash with arch rivals CH today
- All-Island School Games Table Tennis Ladies’ College Under 17 Champions
- Peru capture last World Cup berth
- Mohammad Hafeez, suspended again
- Ten weightlifters qualify for CG 2018
- Late Dalmiya’s 77th birth commemoration SLC President pays glowing tribute
- Serena Williams set to tie the knot in New Orleans
- World Anti-Doping Agency Refuses lifting Russia suspension
- 34th Mercantile Athletic Championships Sampath Bank Bags Third Place
- India want Sri Lanka to make them ‘uncomfortable’ Kohli Mathews gives us confidence as a batting unit - Chandimal
- Rajeew Perera appointed Junior Rugby coach
- Dialog Champions League Moragasmulla shocks Blue Star
- France to stage 2023 Rugby World Cup
- Minister confident Hathurusinghe will agree
- Will Dulakshi be elevated to Asian-Indoor podium ?
- AIBA Youth Women’s World Boxing C’ships TWO VILLAGE SCHOOLGIRLS FOR YOUTH WORLD MEET
- Asia Property Awards in Singapore Capital TRUST Residencies wins Best Condo in SL
- Lanka IOC reports losses for 3rd consecutive quarter
- Airtel and Google debut online purchasing in SL
- AIA Insurance Lanka revenue up 17% in Q3
- Full day of CSE trading from Disaster Recovery site
- Introducing Mars to agriculture
- How an oil giant came to dominate wheat
- Asian Shares Higher Ahead Of US Tax Vote
- Going green needs defined regulations to go forward
- Alibaba's Jack Ma slips to 3rd in China rich list
- Apple iPhone 8 and 8 Plus in Sri Lanka soon
- COMBANK cardholders get discounts up to 55%
- Regional Chamber alleges SMEs mere ornaments for Finance Ministers
- First ever Sri Lankan appointed Student Council VP at Manipal
- Sadaharitha Plantations wins at NASCO 2017
- New vehicle tax system the right move?
- Russia and Venezuela agree debt deal
- Mattala Airport talks this month
- State entities blocking digital documents
- Hilton and Grand Hyatt divestments soon
- LAW OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
- Dual Citizenship Fiasco
- LAW OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE Part XIX Joinder of Charges VI
- The March of Folly The sad death of liberal Karu
- Saudi-led coalition opens Yemen border crossing: Aid agencies warn of famine
- BREXIT Impact on free movement of people
- Padmavati triggers stir in Bollywood
- Military burning houses Rohingya refugees flee to Bangladesh
- Rice Revolution Role of Dairy Centres
- Pollution in India: 2.5 million people killed in 2015
- There is no journey with the UNP
- Core values of the UNP are eroding - Pradeep Jayewardene
- UN compensation for Kuwait workers Rs 3.2 B on migrant worker welfare
- Professor Matteo Legrenzi says: Gulf States are not keen on all-out war
- I regret the inconvenience caused to the public
- An argument for a new Constitution
- ‘Otriachchi’, ‘Orumiththa Nadu’, ‘Aekeeya Rajya’ and unitary state
- A Constitutional Framework for Sri Lanka
- PAST LIFE AND RULING PLANETS IN KRISHNAMURTHI PADHDHATHI
- Astrological remedies for Agriculture
- Unintentional Murder and law
- An Idyl in South India
- GRANDMA’S HAIR GROWTH OIL
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Vibrancy of classical Sinhala poetry
- Gazing at the 'gems' of Sri Lanka
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Man who rebelled against the British
- Rohingya kids fill void of parents
- Looking back at Sri Lanka Police