Plantar fasciitis That Intolerable Heel Ache
By Dr. Himantha Atukorale (MBBS (Colombo) MD, Consultant in Joint Disease and Rehabilitation)
"When I wake up my feet hurts; I cannot tolerate the pain that comes from the ball of my foot when I get up from the bed. The first few steps are impossible to take. I walk awkwardly for some time and there is this tendency to fall as well."
These are the exact confessions I hear from most patients who have the common condition named Plantar Fasciitis. This condition involves the heel and there is a swelling of a structure at the ball of your foot. There is a very strong band named plantar facia which connects itself to a bone called the calcaneus. This band similar to a rubber band and it has elastic properties. If you have a proper look at the bottom of your feet right now, the structure is similar to an arched bridge from front to back. To maintain the arch, this elastic band called plantar fascia works full time. A massive force runs through this band when we stand and bear weight.
So what causes plantar fasciitis?
There are many reasons why people develop this condition. It could be a minute injury at the junction between the plantar fascia and bone. The injury could be due to repetitive stress. Imagine a professional sprinter or a fast bowler performing their sporting manoeuvres. At the start of a 100m event, within a fraction of a second the athlete is expected to jump forward several metres.
That entire stress/tension of several kilograms goes through his plantar fascia band. The same thing happens when a fast bowler is at the end of the crease putting a massive force to his foot.
Other than sports injury there is a condition called enthesitis which gives rise to similar symptoms. At the onset of enthesitis plantar fascia swells up. The exact triggering factor is unknown. This can affect both heels and is sometimes associated with back of heel pain. The back of heel has a large band called the Achilles tendon. Both these structures can swell up at the same time because of a condition called inflammation. Strangely this is associated with joint problems like arthritis in a certain category of people.
In most patients plantar fasciitis is a harmless self limiting condition, which settles on its own. What we do as specialists is to speed up the process of healing. Also there are very useful remedies that can ease the symptoms of plantar fasciitis.
When you consult a joint specialist, he will first of all examine the region affected. The painful areas will be gently pressed and the ankle will be moved to determine which movement elicits pain. The intact side will also be examined. Do not forget to mention about other areas that hurt as well.
Then certain investigations are recommended that includes blood tests like ESR and a full blood count. These are useful to determine the exact cause of plantar fasciitis. Sometimes an X ray is ordered to see whether a "Calcaneal Spur" is visible. This is a bony protuberance/tip that might cause pain when pressed against the skin of the heel.
There are very effective stretching exercises that the specialist might teach you. These remodel the plantar fascia band and prevent further bouts of pain.
To ease off the pain a category of drugs called "Non Steroid Anti Inflammatory Drugs" are used. These will settle the swelling and slowly sort out the symptoms. There are other types of drugs like steroids to treat more intense pain. Sometimes steroids are injected to the heel to provide rapid relief.
A type of sound wave called Ultrasound therapy is used to create a soothing effect over heel. Ultrasound waves cause the plantar fascia to vibrate slightly and the end result is the generation of heat inside. This heat heals the plantar fasciitis.
Infra red therapy is another method to provide temporary relief. The same mechanism of thermal energy is also used to treat.
There are splints that can be worn over the foot throughout the night. This might keep the plantar fascia stretched and prevent the excruciatingly painful first steps when you wake up.
Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- India joins Wassenaar Arrangement
- A story of two blockades New York City and Yemen
- Merkel’s Germany: Shaper or Taker of a United Europe?
- Wiggy request voters to elect honest politicians
- No Natural Disasters but man-made ones –Prof. Gomes
- Rejected nomination lists SLPP packed with incompetent people – Sagala
- ‘Samurdhi Shakthi’ to be launched To showcase Samurdhi families’ talents
- Chinese worker plunges to his death at Mahabage
- Garbage mounts at Gampaha Hospital Row over incinerator
- LG Elections JVP offers protection to ‘clean’ officials
- SLFP to launch manifesto this week
- President at SLMA
- Scuffle inside temple premises Chief Monk, two others injured
- Postal Unions threaten to Strike Demand for a ‘Closed Service’
- Russian ban on Lankan tea Govt ignored earlier warning - Udayanga
- Govt has no foreign policy - Namal
- CEB unions in strike threat Over simmering bonus issue
- Malaysian PM arrives
- Russian tea row President to contact Putin
- Beetle in Lankan tea shipment to Russia Exporter to be spared says Pethiyagoda
- Canadian Police probe ‘suspicious’ deaths of billionaire couple
- Stock Market Investor losses extend to Rs 94B
- Use of polythene in political rallies CEA to take on offenders
- Draft Legislation HRCSL advice not sought – UN Experts
- Drugs and drug users on the increase
- Sri Lanka dismissed for 215 in 3rd ODI
- Bowling in T10 can help T20 skills - Amir
- Dialog Champions League Java Lane beat Navy SC
- Army in nerve racking win
- Russia making progress over doping says Coe
- Australia close to Ashes glory
- County grind 'sucks pace' out of England quicks Finn
- Nidahas Trophy 2018 SL skipper formally invites India SLC
- One dead as fans clash after Algeria derby
- Real retains Club World Cup
- Ronaldo wants to retire at Real
- 31st NYSC-Rupavahini Volleyball Tournament CEB and SLAF win men’s/women’s titles
- City make it 16 in a row
- Dialog President’s Gold Cup Volleyball Championship finals commence today
- Visakhapatnam will favour the home team Batsmen to dominate decider
- Jadeja hits six sixes in an over
- Ntini’s son Thando in SA U-19 World Cup squad
- Neves stunner guides Wolves
- Westbrook nets triple double for Thunder
- Don’t see me making a WI comeback - Dwayne Bravo
- SLTB AND TEA CHAIRMEN ENDORSE NO PERIL, BUT AUCTION PRICES COULD DIP
- Commercial agriculture in Wet Zone will reap high rice yields CBSL Governor Dry Zone yields low, measures needed to arrest disturbing trend
- Treasury sells dollars to CBSL From H’tota Port proceeds
- Unions go back on their word - SriLankan Chairman
- Make up your minds – Harsha tells businessmen
- Recognition for SL power supplier
- Rupee down 2.54-2.61% YoY
- GDP rate shows positive trend
- Asian stocks come under pressure as dollar struggles
- Way forward for village power producers Team Up With Large Developers WB
- Workplace practices not fit for the New Year
- Brexit deal proves critics wrong - Theresa May
- WINNING GLOBAL CEO AWARD, MY SIGNATURE HONOUR Retired Kahawatte Plantations Plc Deputy Chairman and Watawala Plantations Plc Ceo, Dr. Daniel Vasanthakumar Seevaratnam reminisces
- IPM Sri Lanka crowned overall winner at NBEA 2017
- Desktop FriMi wins global Award
- CMA Sri Lanka graduation ceremony 2017
- LOLC Micro Credit felicitates Grade 5 scholarship high-flyers
- The Singing Christmas Tree comes alive once again at MLH
- Com Bank’s Vocational Training flagship CSR project
- Govt backtracks on anti-coal policy Two 600MW coal plants coming up
- Changing Political Horizons in Sri Lanka?
- Modi’s Gujarat:Installing a Rahul Gandhi Government
- Protect Wilpattu Movement set in motion 5K strong turnout march in peaceful protest to UN office & handover petition
- Concretes & Abstracts Faith, Wayside Shrines & Urban Sprawl
- TGTE using Lawyers to challenge SL’s 6th amendment
- Nat Assets during Prabhakaran’s and Ranil’s heydays
- Mexican drug wars:Women murders on the rise
- Ahead of the LG Polls Identifying 500,000 untagged Lankans!
- Indian movie moguls Avoiding the Weinstein effect
- New Land Draft BiLL Political wrangling hinders ironing out complex land issues
- Maithri should not sit in a Cabinet sans SLFPers
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- Sirisena Presidency - A Parallax View As foretold by Sobhitha Hamuduruwo
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Kemadruma Yoga An evil yoga cancelling all other favourable yogas
- Sun into Sagittarius ‘Kona Month’ has just begun
- Inviting wrath of goddess Lakshmi
- Five Yoga Poses to Calm Your Mind
- Rahu in 7th House and marriage
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- I don’t get asked out
- Homemade apple & Chocolate Bodywash
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES Grinch Cupcakes
- New York Blast Terror charges filed against NY bomber
- Saga of Kohukumbure Rate Rala
- Attygalle murder and John Kotelawala Senior’s suicide