THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE TURKEY BACON AVOCADO GRILLED CHEESE
BY PANCHAMEE HEWAVISSENTI
At the dawn of the Christmas season, where the hustle and bustle is yet to begin, I am going to share with you a recipe for a perfect Christmas breakfast made with turkey - one of the most essential meats during the season. You may have plans to prepare Turkey for Christmas dinner, but I am not going to prevent you from making a mouthwatering turkey for the celebration. If you think it is too early to shop for turkey meat, after reading the recipe you may feel like you are not. You do not need to buy the entire turkey to prepare this gooey sandwich. You can make the dish with turkey bacon as the name suggests. Turkey bacon can be made at home but if you think it is convenient, you can buy them in the super market.
The Turkey Bacon Avocado Grilled Cheese is rich in texture and has a lot of flavours.
Although turkey is associated largely with Christmas season and Christmas dinners, the use of turkey in breakfast during the holiday season may be a new experience. Turkey can be a perfect protein to give you the required energy for the rest of your day when you are supposed to complete all chores by yourself.
The Turkey Tradition in Christmas Season
Roasted turkey is a traditional Christmas dish without which people think the Christmas dinners are not completed. Have you ever wondered how this bird came to your Christmas dinner plate where as there are many meats out there to feast on? It is the tradition. Christmas is filled with old traditions and roasting turkey is also one of the age old traditions. It is said that turkey was introduced as a Christmas dinner 500 years ago during the period of King Henry VII. He is said to be the first to enjoy a turkey Christmas dinner and King Edward had made the eating of turkey a fashionable tradition.
However, turkey became popular when the farmers in ancient England found out that they could save their valuable domestic animals such as cows and chickens to produce milk and egg, if they switch their taste to turkey. That is how the tradition of roasting turkeys came into existence during Christmas feasting. It is also said that the ancient British farmers prepared special Christmas dinners with roasted geese prior to the introduction of turkey to the Christmas dinner so that they did not have to kill their chickens.
Although bacon is made of pork, Turkey Bacon is made of turkey which is a perfect replacement for bacon made of pork. Turkey bacon is low in fat and calories in comparison to its pork counterpart and is healthier than the common bacon. Turkey bacon is made of cured, formed, smoked and thinly sliced turkey. Turkey bacon can be made at home and it is available at the market as well. Turkey bacon can be easily made at home and this is how it is made.
You can make turkey bacon using an oven, microwave or a skillet.
If you make the turkey bacon using an oven, bake the turkey bacon strips on a sheet pan at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. You can flip the bacon strips while they are being baked in the oven. If you prefer spicing up your bacon, you can sprinkle white pepper and salt on top of the slices before they are kept in the oven to bake.
If you prefer making the turkey bacon in a skillet this is how it is made. Heat a skillet on a medium high heat and add olive oil. Add the turkey bacon strips and cook them for about 10 minutes while flipping them regularly. You can also deep fry the turkey bacon and avoid the sticking of the strips to the pan.
So, let's make and enjoy a toothsome gooey sandwich this weekend to give a good start to the celebrations!
You will need the following:
Sliced multi grained bread
Cooked turkey bacon strips
Apply butter on each side of the multi grained bread. Place the bread slice in the medium high heat skillet and layer with mozzarella cheese. Place a turkey bacon strip. Top up with a chopped avocado piece, tomato and basil leaves. Cook the sandwich until golden brown and the cheese begins to melt. It will take about four to five minutes to cook the sandwich and if you want to speed up the melting of cheese, cover the skillet with a lid. Turn the sandwich upside down and cook for another four to five minutes until you feel that the sandwich is fully cooked.
You can serve or have the sandwich as it is or cut it in half.
Enjoy a cheesy grilled sandwich with the meaty taste of turkey bacon and the buttery taste of avocado this Christmas season.
Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- UN damns Lanka 14,000 minors in childcare centres Calls for urgent reforms
- Russia restricts Lanka tea over beetle scare Top-level delegation off to Moscow
- Call to criminalize marital rape Justice Ministry seeks Cabinet approval
- Jumbo killings Armed protection unit to be set up Fines, jail terms to be increased
- Crossovers loom prior to polls
- SC issues notice on Elections Chief
- Jilted SLFP shuns JO forever
- CEB TU threatens strike Gives 18th as ultimatum
- Gnanasara Thera’s request for foreign travel denied
- Chinese envoy says OBOR will take Sino-Lanka ties to new level
- Police Chief in pre-poll warning Errant officers will be dealt with strictly
- Court extends Stay Order on Gota case
- Sriyani as State Minister of PCs and LG JO crossover pledged support for MS
- Rains to prevail Landslide warning to Galle, Kalutara to be reviewed
- BJP lauds ‘Ram Setu’ findings Hits out at critics
- Two held for impersonation at exam centre
- Female Genital Mutilation Advice sought from medical experts
- Hambantota Port to China India raises security concerns
- Indian Air Force Chief at passing out parade
- Statement from the Embassy of the State of Palestine
- LG Governance first to collapse in N&E
- Asgiriya Secy criticizes Govt
- Namal’s Hello Corp case on 13 December
- Attanayake’s foreign travel request Court to consider on 4 Dec
- Drugs & alcohol abuse in NE Religious reps to address issue
- Interesting battle at Havelock Park
- Thurstan win inaugural golf tourney
- History making Pulisic US men’s footballer of the year
- Knicks down Nets despite early exit for Porzingis
- 34th Mercantile Individual Tournament 2017 McLarens shuttlers Overall Champions
- Retired Hewitt takes tilt at Aussie Open doubles
- Lamborghini World Final 2017 Malagamuwa finishes third
- Committee clears Thilaka as SL coach
- Basnayake uncontested president at SLCF
- Premier League Club Cricket Primosh scores second ton
- Vinod and Taniya win Junior golf titles
- Taveesh wins two Gold medals
- Austin Waugh, in Australia's U-19
- CH come back to win
- Smith foils England again
- Emphatic win for CR
- No Malinga in T20 squad
- ‘Singer Trophy’ Under-19 Cricket Paceman Bandara steers Kingwood
- Federer voted BBC overseas sports personality of the year
- SLC looking to re-launch showpiece T20 league
- Astron wins again at SLIM NASCO 2017
- NDB brings Santa to the doorstep
- Com Bank opens branch No. 259 in Yatiyantota
- Amãna Takaful relocates Matale Branch
- Lotus Tyres rewards sales agents
- DFCC Bank sponsors 2017 Inter-School Golf Tournament
- Huawei announces Christmas promotion
- Elephant House recognized by Interbrand
- Singer (Sri Lanka) partners with Pan Asia Bank
- Disney deal suggests the Tax bill may mean little for the economy
- Commonwealth Bank admits failures in money laundering case
- Japanese business confidence hits 11-year high
- Eurozone economy to grow at faster rate, says Central Bank
- SEC to mandate dual roles for CEOs & Chairmen
- Alumex to commence EU & Aus exports
- Fiscal Policy Act remains toothless: Governor
- Samantha Rajapaksa gives up all AMW posts
- 'Publish excuses for corporate governance non-compliance'
- Jetwing Symphony IPO oversubscribed
- Shares recover from an 8-month low
- Christmas cheer is in the air!
- So, this is Christmas!
- A Time of Gifts Winding up
- Landmine deaths soar in 2016 With record number of child victims monitors
- Unravelling Nietzsche’s ‘death of God’ mystery
- Canada’s pivot to China hits a snag
- Brexit: The UK’s four options
- When the heart calls out, on a starry night
- On eve of climate summit Macron reminds Trump of ‘responsibility to history’
- FGM/FGC Victims speak out
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- We want a change in Muslim representation– Hasen Ali
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Alleged human rights violations Lord Naseby defends Sri Lanka
- Neecha Dosha of planets and how it is cancelled Neechabhanga Rajayoga
- Vastu defects and bathrooms
- Are you endowed with Pancha Maha PurushaYoga?
- God Aiyanayake: Guardian Deity of Jungle and Village
- Good thoughts eliminate bad planetary influence
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Silvia Senanayake Dazzles at Mrs. Asia International
- Let’s Taco Colombo
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENNETTE MULLED WINE
- Hunger gnaws at Rohingya Children in camps
- Defeating IS Russia has ‘accomplished’ task
- Saudi Princess Ameera Aidan fights sex exploitation
- Hacking into the gate
- Review: A Bad Moms Christmas Relatable holiday humour
- A must watch superhero film!