Be a light unto yourself
By Rob Holmes
Most people know how a movie projector works. When it's switched off and the image disappears, nothing can be found. In the old days the light came on and shone through frames of the film. Nowadays, the light shines through some clever use of digital technology but the result is the same – the illusion of a moving image projected onto a screen.
There are 3 components to this process and let's go with the old fashioned projectors with film, as it's easier to imagine.
1. The light bulb.
2. The film.
3. The screen.
All is very simple.
But have you ever stopped to realize that we are also projectors? This metaphor could change your perception of life forever. It's only when we stop to really notice what is going on that we can see life in whole new light.
Every single thing we perceive is a projection of our beliefs and attitudes, which in effect creates and colours our film. In effect we are creating, producing and starring in our own movie!
Let's say someone believes the following:
"I am not good enough. I am not lovable. I can never forgive people who have hurt me. The world is cruel. There is never enough of anything. If I had more money I would be happy. My life will get better in the future. My body is the wrong shape. People are out to take advantage of me. When you die, that's it. I will never see my loved ones again."
Then all these beliefs are projected onto the screens of our lives and every external event or person we interact with is coloured by these beliefs, whether we realize it or not.
But once we notice that we are responsible for projecting our beliefs, then we have a choice to change the film!
So reverse the above set of beliefs to these...
"I am good enough. I love myself. I forgive myself and others. The world is beautiful. I believe in abundance. This present moment is amazing. I have the perfect body for me. People are generally very kind and want to help others. One day my body will 'die' but the true essence of me is eternal. I will be reunited with my loved ones."
Now this is very different movie and it totally changes your experience of life. Two people can look at the exact same set of external events with the polar opposite of perspectives.
You may have heard about the story of the bank robbery. One bank customer gets shot in the leg by the robbers and spends time in hospital but lives. With the first movie film playing, this customer thinks..." Trust my bad luck to get shot. I was the only person injured. Why do bad things always happen to me. I've missed four weeks of being at work. I couldn't even drive for two weeks. I hate my life!"
But with the second movie playing, this is what that same customer might think... " How lucky am I that I was only shot in the leg and survived. How fortunate a child didn't get shot or killed. I've loved having time off work and reconnecting with my family. It was amazing how many people helped me get around. I love my life!"
So what film are you projecting?
Is it a sad victim movie or an exciting adventure movie?
Change the film. Change your life.
And I've saved the best bit for the end.
What is powering the light-bulb for our projectors? What is this energy that keeps us alive, that provides us breath as we sleep, that mends our bodies when we're unwell? Well, it's the same loving energy that moves the planets around the universe and makes all things possible.
The light of 'God' shines though all of us, whether we remember this or not, the light is always there. Without it, we would not be having this incredible human experience. And when we change our beliefs we literally lighten the film, allowing more light to shine through, because it's us who limit the amount of light that gets through, simply as a result of what we believe.
So my fellow projectors, if your film is a bit dark sometimes, then remember you can change it for a lighter, brighter more translucent film and let more light shine through every cell in your body, beaming out more love to the world.
Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- India joins Wassenaar Arrangement
- A story of two blockades New York City and Yemen
- Merkel’s Germany: Shaper or Taker of a United Europe?
- Wiggy request voters to elect honest politicians
- No Natural Disasters but man-made ones –Prof. Gomes
- Rejected nomination lists SLPP packed with incompetent people – Sagala
- ‘Samurdhi Shakthi’ to be launched To showcase Samurdhi families’ talents
- Chinese worker plunges to his death at Mahabage
- Garbage mounts at Gampaha Hospital Row over incinerator
- LG Elections JVP offers protection to ‘clean’ officials
- SLFP to launch manifesto this week
- President at SLMA
- Scuffle inside temple premises Chief Monk, two others injured
- Postal Unions threaten to Strike Demand for a ‘Closed Service’
- Russian ban on Lankan tea Govt ignored earlier warning - Udayanga
- Govt has no foreign policy - Namal
- CEB unions in strike threat Over simmering bonus issue
- Malaysian PM arrives
- Russian tea row President to contact Putin
- Beetle in Lankan tea shipment to Russia Exporter to be spared says Pethiyagoda
- Canadian Police probe ‘suspicious’ deaths of billionaire couple
- Stock Market Investor losses extend to Rs 94B
- Use of polythene in political rallies CEA to take on offenders
- Draft Legislation HRCSL advice not sought – UN Experts
- Drugs and drug users on the increase
- Sri Lanka dismissed for 215 in 3rd ODI
- Bowling in T10 can help T20 skills - Amir
- Dialog Champions League Java Lane beat Navy SC
- Army in nerve racking win
- Russia making progress over doping says Coe
- Australia close to Ashes glory
- County grind 'sucks pace' out of England quicks Finn
- Nidahas Trophy 2018 SL skipper formally invites India SLC
- One dead as fans clash after Algeria derby
- Real retains Club World Cup
- Ronaldo wants to retire at Real
- 31st NYSC-Rupavahini Volleyball Tournament CEB and SLAF win men’s/women’s titles
- City make it 16 in a row
- Dialog President’s Gold Cup Volleyball Championship finals commence today
- Visakhapatnam will favour the home team Batsmen to dominate decider
- Jadeja hits six sixes in an over
- Ntini’s son Thando in SA U-19 World Cup squad
- Neves stunner guides Wolves
- Westbrook nets triple double for Thunder
- Don’t see me making a WI comeback - Dwayne Bravo
- SLTB AND TEA CHAIRMEN ENDORSE NO PERIL, BUT AUCTION PRICES COULD DIP
- Commercial agriculture in Wet Zone will reap high rice yields CBSL Governor Dry Zone yields low, measures needed to arrest disturbing trend
- Treasury sells dollars to CBSL From H’tota Port proceeds
- Unions go back on their word - SriLankan Chairman
- Make up your minds – Harsha tells businessmen
- Recognition for SL power supplier
- Rupee down 2.54-2.61% YoY
- GDP rate shows positive trend
- Asian stocks come under pressure as dollar struggles
- Way forward for village power producers Team Up With Large Developers WB
- Workplace practices not fit for the New Year
- Brexit deal proves critics wrong - Theresa May
- WINNING GLOBAL CEO AWARD, MY SIGNATURE HONOUR Retired Kahawatte Plantations Plc Deputy Chairman and Watawala Plantations Plc Ceo, Dr. Daniel Vasanthakumar Seevaratnam reminisces
- IPM Sri Lanka crowned overall winner at NBEA 2017
- Desktop FriMi wins global Award
- CMA Sri Lanka graduation ceremony 2017
- LOLC Micro Credit felicitates Grade 5 scholarship high-flyers
- The Singing Christmas Tree comes alive once again at MLH
- Com Bank’s Vocational Training flagship CSR project
- Govt backtracks on anti-coal policy Two 600MW coal plants coming up
- Changing Political Horizons in Sri Lanka?
- Modi’s Gujarat:Installing a Rahul Gandhi Government
- Protect Wilpattu Movement set in motion 5K strong turnout march in peaceful protest to UN office & handover petition
- Concretes & Abstracts Faith, Wayside Shrines & Urban Sprawl
- TGTE using Lawyers to challenge SL’s 6th amendment
- Nat Assets during Prabhakaran’s and Ranil’s heydays
- Mexican drug wars:Women murders on the rise
- Ahead of the LG Polls Identifying 500,000 untagged Lankans!
- Indian movie moguls Avoiding the Weinstein effect
- New Land Draft BiLL Political wrangling hinders ironing out complex land issues
- Maithri should not sit in a Cabinet sans SLFPers
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- Sirisena Presidency - A Parallax View As foretold by Sobhitha Hamuduruwo
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Kemadruma Yoga An evil yoga cancelling all other favourable yogas
- Sun into Sagittarius ‘Kona Month’ has just begun
- Inviting wrath of goddess Lakshmi
- Five Yoga Poses to Calm Your Mind
- Rahu in 7th House and marriage
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- I don’t get asked out
- Homemade apple & Chocolate Bodywash
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES Grinch Cupcakes
- New York Blast Terror charges filed against NY bomber
- Saga of Kohukumbure Rate Rala
- Attygalle murder and John Kotelawala Senior’s suicide