SL’s Prosperity Index continues to improve CB Socio-Economic Infrastructure falls for second consecutive year
By Mario Andree
The Sri Lankan Prosperity Index (SLPI) and all its sub-indices except for the Socio-Economic Infrastructure continued to improve, with the main index gaining 61 index points to 0.746 points in 2016 from 0.685 points in the 2015.
The SLPI measures and compares the level of prosperity of the country and across its provinces.
According to Central Bank data the 'Economy and Business Climate' sub index gained 44 index points to reach 0.915 points in 2016 from 0.871 points in 2015.
The 'Wellbeing of the People' sub index gained 187 index points to reach 0.812 points in 2016 from 0.625 points in 2015.
However, the Socio-Economic Infrastructure sub index continued to fall for the second consecutive year with the index slipping 48 index points to 0.510 points in 2016 from 0.558 points in 2015.
The Central Bank highlighted that the Prosperity Index across all Provinces had improved except for the Sabaragamuwa Province, which posted a decline compared to last year.
In the provincial 'Economy and Business Climate' sub index the Central, Northern and Southern Provinces posted declines, while the remaining posted gains.
In the provincial 'Wellbeing of the People' sub index all the provinces posted sharp gains with Eastern and the Uva provinces too changing from a negative to a positive.
In the provinces, the Socio-Economic Infrastructure sub index North Central, Northern, Sabaragamuwa, Southern and Uva provinces posted declines, with the Sabaragamuwa Province falling to the negative parameter.
The positions of Provinces in Sri Lankan Prosperity Index remained unchanged with the Western Province holding the first position with the index improving 29 index points to 1.272 points, the Southern Province at second place with the index improving 20 index points to 0.455 points, the Central Province at third with the index gaining 80 index points to 0.450 points.
The North Central Province held the fourth position with 0.400 points, the North Western Province at the fifth position with 0.356 points, the Northern Province at sixth with 0.239 points, Sabaragamuwa at seventh with 0.153 points, Uva at eighth positions with 0.151 points and the Eastern Province in ninth position with 0.135 points.
In the provincial 'Economy and Business Climate' the Eastern Province gained two positions to rank sixth with 0.333 points, The Southern Province gained a notch to rank fifth with 0.388 points. However, the Central Province fell two positions to rank fourth with 0.490 points, Northern Province fell two positions to rank seventh with 0.301 points, Sabaragamuwa Province fell one notch to rank eight with 0.281 points. Western Province held the first position with 1.715 points, North Central held the third position with o.513 points, while the Uva province was at nineth with 0.181 points.
In the provincial, the Socio-Economic Infrastructure sub index the North Central and North Western Provinces shift positions to rank third and fourth with 0.404 points and 0.398 points respectively.
In the provincial, the Socio-Economic Infrastructure sub index the Eastern Province gained two positions to rank seventh, North Western Province gained two positions to rank fifth, the Southern Province gained one notch to rank fourth, while the Sabaragamuwa Province slipped three positions to rank ninth and the Uva Province slipped two positions to rank sixth.
"The improvements in employment rate, informal sector wages, industrial density and banking density have contributed towards the enhancement of the Economy and Business Climate sub-index", the Central Bank said.
"With regard to the sub index of the Well-being of the People, high performance in availability of healthcare facilities, availability and quality of education, wealth of people and availability and usage of entertainment facilities were the key drivers," the Bank said.
"However, the reduction observed in the Socio-Economic Infrastructure sub-index was led by reduced levels of pipe borne water quality, female participation in civic activities and available transport facilities", it said.
Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- India joins Wassenaar Arrangement
- A story of two blockades New York City and Yemen
- Merkel’s Germany: Shaper or Taker of a United Europe?
- Wiggy request voters to elect honest politicians
- No Natural Disasters but man-made ones –Prof. Gomes
- Rejected nomination lists SLPP packed with incompetent people – Sagala
- ‘Samurdhi Shakthi’ to be launched To showcase Samurdhi families’ talents
- Chinese worker plunges to his death at Mahabage
- Garbage mounts at Gampaha Hospital Row over incinerator
- LG Elections JVP offers protection to ‘clean’ officials
- SLFP to launch manifesto this week
- President at SLMA
- Scuffle inside temple premises Chief Monk, two others injured
- Postal Unions threaten to Strike Demand for a ‘Closed Service’
- Russian ban on Lankan tea Govt ignored earlier warning - Udayanga
- Govt has no foreign policy - Namal
- CEB unions in strike threat Over simmering bonus issue
- Malaysian PM arrives
- Russian tea row President to contact Putin
- Beetle in Lankan tea shipment to Russia Exporter to be spared says Pethiyagoda
- Canadian Police probe ‘suspicious’ deaths of billionaire couple
- Stock Market Investor losses extend to Rs 94B
- Use of polythene in political rallies CEA to take on offenders
- Draft Legislation HRCSL advice not sought – UN Experts
- Drugs and drug users on the increase
- Sri Lanka dismissed for 215 in 3rd ODI
- Bowling in T10 can help T20 skills - Amir
- Dialog Champions League Java Lane beat Navy SC
- Army in nerve racking win
- Russia making progress over doping says Coe
- Australia close to Ashes glory
- County grind 'sucks pace' out of England quicks Finn
- Nidahas Trophy 2018 SL skipper formally invites India SLC
- One dead as fans clash after Algeria derby
- Real retains Club World Cup
- Ronaldo wants to retire at Real
- 31st NYSC-Rupavahini Volleyball Tournament CEB and SLAF win men’s/women’s titles
- City make it 16 in a row
- Dialog President’s Gold Cup Volleyball Championship finals commence today
- Visakhapatnam will favour the home team Batsmen to dominate decider
- Jadeja hits six sixes in an over
- Ntini’s son Thando in SA U-19 World Cup squad
- Neves stunner guides Wolves
- Westbrook nets triple double for Thunder
- Don’t see me making a WI comeback - Dwayne Bravo
- SLTB AND TEA CHAIRMEN ENDORSE NO PERIL, BUT AUCTION PRICES COULD DIP
- Commercial agriculture in Wet Zone will reap high rice yields CBSL Governor Dry Zone yields low, measures needed to arrest disturbing trend
- Treasury sells dollars to CBSL From H’tota Port proceeds
- Unions go back on their word - SriLankan Chairman
- Make up your minds – Harsha tells businessmen
- Recognition for SL power supplier
- Rupee down 2.54-2.61% YoY
- GDP rate shows positive trend
- Asian stocks come under pressure as dollar struggles
- Way forward for village power producers Team Up With Large Developers WB
- Workplace practices not fit for the New Year
- Brexit deal proves critics wrong - Theresa May
- WINNING GLOBAL CEO AWARD, MY SIGNATURE HONOUR Retired Kahawatte Plantations Plc Deputy Chairman and Watawala Plantations Plc Ceo, Dr. Daniel Vasanthakumar Seevaratnam reminisces
- IPM Sri Lanka crowned overall winner at NBEA 2017
- Desktop FriMi wins global Award
- CMA Sri Lanka graduation ceremony 2017
- LOLC Micro Credit felicitates Grade 5 scholarship high-flyers
- The Singing Christmas Tree comes alive once again at MLH
- Com Bank’s Vocational Training flagship CSR project
- Govt backtracks on anti-coal policy Two 600MW coal plants coming up
- Changing Political Horizons in Sri Lanka?
- Modi’s Gujarat:Installing a Rahul Gandhi Government
- Protect Wilpattu Movement set in motion 5K strong turnout march in peaceful protest to UN office & handover petition
- Concretes & Abstracts Faith, Wayside Shrines & Urban Sprawl
- TGTE using Lawyers to challenge SL’s 6th amendment
- Nat Assets during Prabhakaran’s and Ranil’s heydays
- Mexican drug wars:Women murders on the rise
- Ahead of the LG Polls Identifying 500,000 untagged Lankans!
- Indian movie moguls Avoiding the Weinstein effect
- New Land Draft BiLL Political wrangling hinders ironing out complex land issues
- Maithri should not sit in a Cabinet sans SLFPers
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- Sirisena Presidency - A Parallax View As foretold by Sobhitha Hamuduruwo
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Kemadruma Yoga An evil yoga cancelling all other favourable yogas
- Sun into Sagittarius ‘Kona Month’ has just begun
- Inviting wrath of goddess Lakshmi
- Five Yoga Poses to Calm Your Mind
- Rahu in 7th House and marriage
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- I don’t get asked out
- Homemade apple & Chocolate Bodywash
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES Grinch Cupcakes
- New York Blast Terror charges filed against NY bomber
- Saga of Kohukumbure Rate Rala
- Attygalle murder and John Kotelawala Senior’s suicide