SL’s Prosperity Index continues to improve CB Socio-Economic Infrastructure falls for second consecutive year
By Mario Andree
The Sri Lankan Prosperity Index (SLPI) and all its sub-indices except for the Socio-Economic Infrastructure continued to improve, with the main index gaining 61 index points to 0.746 points in 2016 from 0.685 points in the 2015.
The SLPI measures and compares the level of prosperity of the country and across its provinces.
According to Central Bank data the 'Economy and Business Climate' sub index gained 44 index points to reach 0.915 points in 2016 from 0.871 points in 2015.
The 'Wellbeing of the People' sub index gained 187 index points to reach 0.812 points in 2016 from 0.625 points in 2015.
However, the Socio-Economic Infrastructure sub index continued to fall for the second consecutive year with the index slipping 48 index points to 0.510 points in 2016 from 0.558 points in 2015.
The Central Bank highlighted that the Prosperity Index across all Provinces had improved except for the Sabaragamuwa Province, which posted a decline compared to last year.
In the provincial 'Economy and Business Climate' sub index the Central, Northern and Southern Provinces posted declines, while the remaining posted gains.
In the provincial 'Wellbeing of the People' sub index all the provinces posted sharp gains with Eastern and the Uva provinces too changing from a negative to a positive.
In the provinces, the Socio-Economic Infrastructure sub index North Central, Northern, Sabaragamuwa, Southern and Uva provinces posted declines, with the Sabaragamuwa Province falling to the negative parameter.
The positions of Provinces in Sri Lankan Prosperity Index remained unchanged with the Western Province holding the first position with the index improving 29 index points to 1.272 points, the Southern Province at second place with the index improving 20 index points to 0.455 points, the Central Province at third with the index gaining 80 index points to 0.450 points.
The North Central Province held the fourth position with 0.400 points, the North Western Province at the fifth position with 0.356 points, the Northern Province at sixth with 0.239 points, Sabaragamuwa at seventh with 0.153 points, Uva at eighth positions with 0.151 points and the Eastern Province in ninth position with 0.135 points.
In the provincial 'Economy and Business Climate' the Eastern Province gained two positions to rank sixth with 0.333 points, The Southern Province gained a notch to rank fifth with 0.388 points. However, the Central Province fell two positions to rank fourth with 0.490 points, Northern Province fell two positions to rank seventh with 0.301 points, Sabaragamuwa Province fell one notch to rank eight with 0.281 points. Western Province held the first position with 1.715 points, North Central held the third position with o.513 points, while the Uva province was at nineth with 0.181 points.
In the provincial, the Socio-Economic Infrastructure sub index the North Central and North Western Provinces shift positions to rank third and fourth with 0.404 points and 0.398 points respectively.
In the provincial, the Socio-Economic Infrastructure sub index the Eastern Province gained two positions to rank seventh, North Western Province gained two positions to rank fifth, the Southern Province gained one notch to rank fourth, while the Sabaragamuwa Province slipped three positions to rank ninth and the Uva Province slipped two positions to rank sixth.
"The improvements in employment rate, informal sector wages, industrial density and banking density have contributed towards the enhancement of the Economy and Business Climate sub-index", the Central Bank said.
"With regard to the sub index of the Well-being of the People, high performance in availability of healthcare facilities, availability and quality of education, wealth of people and availability and usage of entertainment facilities were the key drivers," the Bank said.
"However, the reduction observed in the Socio-Economic Infrastructure sub-index was led by reduced levels of pipe borne water quality, female participation in civic activities and available transport facilities", it said.
- City Coroner complains to Fort Magistrate Call to probe death of Bellanwila Thera Monk was moved from CSGTH against medical advice
- Will Transitional Justice wither? Int’l community in quandary over LG polls results
- Govt now trying to postpone PC polls
- President has not consulted me yet – AG
- Govt brought in 19A to block Rajapaksas We also can change 19A – Basil
- November 2012 Welikada Prison Massacre Second eyewitness ready to come forward
- President pressed to find suitable PM Political crisis continues
- South China Sea Unmanned vessels and future operations
- Malaysia’s 2018 General Election Alternative Scenarios?
- Back to the chessboard?
- Buddhika goes to CIABOC Alleges Rs 2 B fraud in Army food tender
- Sleeping man run over by container
- SLPP felicitates winners
- Money laundering case Namal allowed foreign travel
- Kuwait MP says expats are ‘opportunistic bacteria’ Al-Hashim blames traffic congestion and pollution on foreigners
- SL’s 70th Independence celebrated in S Korea
- Prez summons Ministry Secys All official duties to continue
- Rosy writes to Mahinda Deshapriya Wants 25% female quota implemented urgently
- Aloysius and Palisena denied bail Notice issued to Mahendran to appear before CID by 8th March
- Women NGOs write to EC Chair We expected ‘confusion’ over 25% rep Goonasekera
- One killed in shooting Assailant assaulted to death
- Bid to apprehend Weeratunga Marapana to leave for UAE Fugitive ex-envoy prevented from leaving
- Appointment of new PM Prez to consult AG and senior PCs
- Govt to continue as per Constitution – Ranil
- Inter-Korean collaboration Money, lies, and pleasure squads
- Strategic plans worked well – Hathurusinghe
- Jayamanna scores double ton
- Royal win Frank Gunasekara Shield
- Nalanda run out of time
- 16 teams qualify to pre quarters
- Pre-quarter finalists found
- Sirimavo Bandaranaike, Piliyandala Central emerge champions
- CR in dashing form crush CH
- Election commission rejects votes of athletes’ commission
- So easy for Kandy SC
- Tamim returns to boost hosts
- Royal win Inaugural ‘Alles-Gunasekara’ Encounter
- Didn’t take Bangladesh for granted - Gunathilaka
- Kandy SC should have it easy
- Jayamanna scores unbeaten ton
- Navy SC fight hard to win
- Bhanuka and Lahiru in unbroken stand of 251
- Lionel, Nilani eye title at Cross Country
- Army SC can topple Havies
- New Kids on Big Match stage
- Sri Lanka has already missed ‘three buses’ in digitalization: Dialog CEO
- CBSL to raise Rs 30B to pay maturing debt
- ADB lends $ 75M to strengthen Sri Lanka SMEs
- Tea Board Chairman submits resignation
- Singapore FTA no game changer: Verite
- Solid Waste Management - global issue
- NDB partners with United Motors for vehicle leasing
- HNB recognized at IFM Awards 2017 for microfinance innovation
- zMessenger nominated at Festival of Media APAC Awards 2018
- Sunquick consumers drink and win again
- Grabbing a bigger slice of the FDI pie
- ABANS LAUNCHES BEATS HEADPHONES IN SL
- SLT opens contact centre in Bandarawela
- William Angliss Institute graduates felicitated
- ‘If Chrysotile fibre is harmful, Government must prove it’ Arecanut is also in WHO banned list, but still legal in SL: Fibre Cement Product Manufacturers’ Association
- Housing a priority in Govt’s development effort
- Singer posts over Rs 1B sales of Huawei smartphones monthly
- Nippon Paint holds AYDA 2017 for young designers
- Mobitel named fastest mobile network in Sri Lanka by Ookla
- TEA PRICES, ONLY ONE METRIC OF RPC SUCCESSes
- INTERPOL REFUSES TO DELIVER SUMMONS TO MAHENDRAN ARREST WARRANT TO BE SOUGHT AFTER MARCH 8 IF…
- REVISITING SRI LANKA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- Howlers that wreck language
- Pursuing Peace The UN’s lack of accountability
- Oxfam Scandal Funding fears may drive charities to hide offences
- Prof Bellanwila Wimalarathana Thera’s demise Call for probe as questions remain in limbo
- Colombo’s construction frenzy Lack of policies and awareness a major issue
- I take full responsibility for the results delay Deshapriya speaks out
- Concretes & Abstracts Visionary sans apostles
- UNP’s future at stake Defeat at the recent LG polls renews calls for reform
- Basil says…Await the return of ‘Spiritual Leader’ MR
- Rajapaksas’ Presidential hopeful is Gota
- Sins of the past Govt cannot be forgotten- Anura Kumara
- Law and order is quite weak
- I will continue Gota’s legacy - Milinda Rajapaksha
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- REV. PROF BELLANWILA WIMALARATANA THERA
- Why Masses Brought Victory to Past President
- White Sapphire absorbs the power of Venus
- Partial eclipse that occurred on Feb 16
- Effects of Sun in Aquarius
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Never say never to anything!
- What’s In My Bag I want to carry my dog Ricky Ruchira
- Indian Elegance Raaya Clothing & Accessories
- Election promises that took people for a ride
- 7 killed in Florida school shooting by former student: sheriff
- Man with moustache who went to Rajarata a thousand times in a ramshackle Jeep