Silvas’ save Sri Lanka
India won a record ninth Test series in succession Wednesday after drawing the pollution-tainted third and final Test with Sri Lanka in New Delhi.
Top-ranked India won the series 1-0 to equal Australia's record of nine successive Test series victories between 2005-2008.
The first Test between India and Sri Lanka in Kolkata had ended in a draw and the hosts won the second game by an innings and 239 runs.
But Sri Lanka salvaged some pride in the final match thanks to Dhananjaya de Silva and Roshen Silva, who defied the odds and held out for a draw.
The Test at the Feroz Shah Kotla ground was marred by severe pollution, with fast bowlers from both sides vomiting Tuesday amid thick smog.
In an unprecedented move, Sri Lankan players wore facemasks while fielding to combat the toxic air, which interrupted play on day two as the visitor's protested the choking conditions.
"It was a tough time. The thing is, in Sri Lanka we are not used to that, so that's why we struggled (on) the first two days," said Sri Lankan captain Dinesh Chandimal.
"But after that we needed to continue the game. We told the boys we have to forget about that and we need to play the game.
"Today is a fantastic day. It feels like Sri Lanka," quipped the captain, referring to the less smoggy weather Wednesday. The US Embassy website on Wednesday showed concentrations of the smallest and most harmful airborne pollutants hit 234, better than a day earlier but still nearly nine times the World Health Organization's safe limit.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India has said Delhi could be dropped as a venue during winter when pollution spikes.
Dhananjaya, who retired hurt on 119 due to muscle stiffness, and Roshen (74 not out) held Sri Lanka steady over three sessions of play on the final day, after the visitors were set a huge 410 victory target late on day four.
Roshen was batting alongside Niroshan Dickwella on 44 when the two teams decided to shake hands with just seven mandatory overs left for the day.
Spinner Ravindra Jadeja rattled the Sri Lankan top order with three strikes, including Angelo Mathews' key wicket in the morning session.
But De Silva thwarted a persistent Indian attack with his third Test hundred.
He built crucial partnerships with Chandimal (36) and then with Silva, who had begun his Test career with a duck in the first innings.
Silva also combined with Dickwella in an unbeaten 94-run stand.
Indian skipper Virat Kohli praised the Sri Lankan batsman for digging their heels in on a wearing pitch.
"Always when you're not able to finish the game off in the second innings, especially when you had them three down yesterday, feels a bit of (a) disappointment, but I wouldn't say it's a very bad feeling," he said.
"They played well, firstly, credit to them. They really stuck it out. Their batsmen really applied themselves, showed composure and confidence and didn't give our bowlers anything throughout the day."
Kohli was named man of the series for his prolific performances including two double centuries.
India 1st innings 536-7 dec (V. Kohli 243, M. Vijay 155; L. Sandakan 4-167)
Sri Lanka 1st innings 373 (D. Chandimal 164, A. Mathews 111; I. Sharma 3-98, R. Ashwin 3-90)
India 2nd innings 246-5 dec (S. Dhawan 67, R. Sharma 50 not out; S. Lakmal 1-60)
Sri Lanka 2nd innings (target 410; overnight 31-3)
D. Karunaratne c Saha b Jadeja 13
S. Samarawickrama c Rahane b Shami 05
D. de Silva retired hurt 119
S. Lakmal b Jadeja 00
A. Mathews c Rahane b Jadeja 01
D. Chandimal b Ashwin 36
R. Silva not out 74
N. Dickwella not out 44
Extras (b5, lb1, nb1) 07
Total (5 wickets; 103 overs) 299
Fall of wickets: 1-14 (Samarawickrama), 2-31 (Karunaratne), 3-31 (Lakmal), 4-35 (Mathews), 5-147 (Chandimal), 5-205 (De Silva - ret. hurt)
Did not bat: D. Perera, L. Gamage, L. Sandakan
Bowling: I. Sharma 13-2-32-0, Shami 15-6-50-1, Ashwin 35-3-126-1, Jadeja 38-13-81-3 (nb1), Vijay 1-0-3-0, Kohli 1-0-1-0
Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- India joins Wassenaar Arrangement
- A story of two blockades New York City and Yemen
- Merkel’s Germany: Shaper or Taker of a United Europe?
- Wiggy request voters to elect honest politicians
- No Natural Disasters but man-made ones –Prof. Gomes
- Rejected nomination lists SLPP packed with incompetent people – Sagala
- ‘Samurdhi Shakthi’ to be launched To showcase Samurdhi families’ talents
- Chinese worker plunges to his death at Mahabage
- Garbage mounts at Gampaha Hospital Row over incinerator
- LG Elections JVP offers protection to ‘clean’ officials
- SLFP to launch manifesto this week
- President at SLMA
- Scuffle inside temple premises Chief Monk, two others injured
- Postal Unions threaten to Strike Demand for a ‘Closed Service’
- Russian ban on Lankan tea Govt ignored earlier warning - Udayanga
- Govt has no foreign policy - Namal
- CEB unions in strike threat Over simmering bonus issue
- Malaysian PM arrives
- Russian tea row President to contact Putin
- Beetle in Lankan tea shipment to Russia Exporter to be spared says Pethiyagoda
- Canadian Police probe ‘suspicious’ deaths of billionaire couple
- Stock Market Investor losses extend to Rs 94B
- Use of polythene in political rallies CEA to take on offenders
- Draft Legislation HRCSL advice not sought – UN Experts
- Drugs and drug users on the increase
- Sri Lanka dismissed for 215 in 3rd ODI
- Bowling in T10 can help T20 skills - Amir
- Dialog Champions League Java Lane beat Navy SC
- Army in nerve racking win
- Russia making progress over doping says Coe
- Australia close to Ashes glory
- County grind 'sucks pace' out of England quicks Finn
- Nidahas Trophy 2018 SL skipper formally invites India SLC
- One dead as fans clash after Algeria derby
- Real retains Club World Cup
- Ronaldo wants to retire at Real
- 31st NYSC-Rupavahini Volleyball Tournament CEB and SLAF win men’s/women’s titles
- City make it 16 in a row
- Dialog President’s Gold Cup Volleyball Championship finals commence today
- Visakhapatnam will favour the home team Batsmen to dominate decider
- Jadeja hits six sixes in an over
- Ntini’s son Thando in SA U-19 World Cup squad
- Neves stunner guides Wolves
- Westbrook nets triple double for Thunder
- Don’t see me making a WI comeback - Dwayne Bravo
- SLTB AND TEA CHAIRMEN ENDORSE NO PERIL, BUT AUCTION PRICES COULD DIP
- Commercial agriculture in Wet Zone will reap high rice yields CBSL Governor Dry Zone yields low, measures needed to arrest disturbing trend
- Treasury sells dollars to CBSL From H’tota Port proceeds
- Unions go back on their word - SriLankan Chairman
- Make up your minds – Harsha tells businessmen
- Recognition for SL power supplier
- Rupee down 2.54-2.61% YoY
- GDP rate shows positive trend
- Asian stocks come under pressure as dollar struggles
- Way forward for village power producers Team Up With Large Developers WB
- Workplace practices not fit for the New Year
- Brexit deal proves critics wrong - Theresa May
- WINNING GLOBAL CEO AWARD, MY SIGNATURE HONOUR Retired Kahawatte Plantations Plc Deputy Chairman and Watawala Plantations Plc Ceo, Dr. Daniel Vasanthakumar Seevaratnam reminisces
- IPM Sri Lanka crowned overall winner at NBEA 2017
- Desktop FriMi wins global Award
- CMA Sri Lanka graduation ceremony 2017
- LOLC Micro Credit felicitates Grade 5 scholarship high-flyers
- The Singing Christmas Tree comes alive once again at MLH
- Com Bank’s Vocational Training flagship CSR project
- Govt backtracks on anti-coal policy Two 600MW coal plants coming up
- Changing Political Horizons in Sri Lanka?
- Modi’s Gujarat:Installing a Rahul Gandhi Government
- Protect Wilpattu Movement set in motion 5K strong turnout march in peaceful protest to UN office & handover petition
- Concretes & Abstracts Faith, Wayside Shrines & Urban Sprawl
- TGTE using Lawyers to challenge SL’s 6th amendment
- Nat Assets during Prabhakaran’s and Ranil’s heydays
- Mexican drug wars:Women murders on the rise
- Ahead of the LG Polls Identifying 500,000 untagged Lankans!
- Indian movie moguls Avoiding the Weinstein effect
- New Land Draft BiLL Political wrangling hinders ironing out complex land issues
- Maithri should not sit in a Cabinet sans SLFPers
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- Sirisena Presidency - A Parallax View As foretold by Sobhitha Hamuduruwo
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Kemadruma Yoga An evil yoga cancelling all other favourable yogas
- Sun into Sagittarius ‘Kona Month’ has just begun
- Inviting wrath of goddess Lakshmi
- Five Yoga Poses to Calm Your Mind
- Rahu in 7th House and marriage
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- I don’t get asked out
- Homemade apple & Chocolate Bodywash
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES Grinch Cupcakes
- New York Blast Terror charges filed against NY bomber
- Saga of Kohukumbure Rate Rala
- Attygalle murder and John Kotelawala Senior’s suicide