Let’s Taco Colombo
By Zainab Faizal
There was once a drought in Colombo, with not a taco or nacho in sight. Even if there was, you'd have to travel a distance and visit a bunch of restaurants to simply satisfy your cravings - most of the times, it's just bleh ! One fine day, we saw the bright yellow building down Dickmans Rd with its lit up board screaming "Let's Taco Colombo" - I can guarantee you that, I did not stop TACOing about it until it opened up!
What's it like?
First of all, this is one of prettiest Mexican-inspired restaurants I've ever seen! From the garden like entrance to a fabulous wall art of Taco El Flaco leading to an inside that is legit date night worthy simply because it's too gorgeous! The lights, the bustling street of Mexico as a backdrop to a really stunning painting of a Chika ready to show her serious salsa moves.
Secondly, it›s super chill and the perfect place for some great food and company. (Check out the Great Wall, I'm sure Trump wouldn't be too happy about it. Thiromi is so smart to come up with that!)
What inspired the opening of Let's Taco Colombo?
Okay, since I got to know the owners pretty well - I got the inside deets y'all!
Meet Karthik and Thiromi, the coolest couple on the block bringing you the best of Mexican fusion one can offer in this pretty Island. Thiromi is a HUGE Mexican fan and when she found out that Colombo has no restaurant that focuses solely on her favourite thing on this planet (no exaggeration is allowed here), she decided it's time she gives these Lankans a true taste of Mexicana!
So, here she is along with her (buff) husband and in laws running the coolest le restaurante.
PS: Her in laws are Punjabi! Although Karthik is in denial, that's what too much Sri Lanka does to you. (LANKAN TO THE LAST DROP Y'ALL)
What's up for grabs?
Everything! Tacos, Nachos, churros, quesadillas, chimichanga, Mexican rice and what not! And as of late, a whole new range of cheesy fries to burgers, tacos and burritos have been introduced and you'd have to keep an eye out on their social media page for daily updates.
What did I try?
Having the spicy chicken tacos felt like renewing my vows to TACOS! Saying this was delicious can be the biggest understatement of the year. They were the soft shells, and you can tell it was made from literal scratch not the store bought industrial crap that'll make you wanna puke. The filling was well marinated chicken along with lots of onions, tomatoes and a handful of cabbage both green and red along with a special sauce signature to the dish, which tasted a tad bit similar to a thousand island dressing ft cocktail sauce.
The meal had TWO giant tacos, a handful of nachos, sautéed sweet corn in pepper, guacamole and a spicy salsa dip that was just too good!
Big Dip Nachos
When they say BIG, they really do mean BIG. A giant portion of fresh nachos that's crispy, a little thick but also has a slight Sri Lankan touch to it that I can't really place my finger on. The meat took the nachos to a solid 10/10 with sweet and spicy flavours well cooked amidst the minced chicken meat. Topped with sour cream, guacamole, jalapeño and CHEESE, this is definitely NACHO average!
These quesadillas are yum! A dry beef filling but the meat was quite juicy packed with flavour and caramelised onions that wasn't sweet but deliciously spicy giving out a smoky flavour at the same time. Stuffed with cheese, sour cream I truly fell in love.
These are what sweet dreams are made of! Even if you don't fancy cinnamon or churros you're still bound to go GAGA over this dessert. Making churros are tough but taking the conventional stick to a cup, deserves a round of applause! The churros are soft, fluffy and crispy with an amazing cinnamon sugar coating, vanilla ice cream to chocolate and caramel sauce! I AM TELLING YOU this is the perfect dish to go all "you're the cinnamon sugar to my churro"
A fresh orange juice, with a zesty and zingy feel from the delicious lime and slight hint of soda. Very refreshing.
Would I come back?
It's a YES from me. I cannot wait to feast on the rest of their menu and see what else they've got to offer in future!
They've rounded up a pretty amazing Christmas menu to get the festive on from Mexican sliders to red velvet churros, so do look out for that in case you're wondering where to head out for your meals this festive season!
Before you ask me;
no pork is served
No alcohol is served or allowed
All ingredients are Halal!
Check them out on Instagram: @letstacocolombo
- Long term conciliation in Korea
- Germany and Europe: A New Relationship?
- Key role to strengthen SLFP -Wijewickrama
- Blood donation at SEUSL
- Faizer Mustapha says Muslims must trust SLFP and President
- Construction of Kerawalapitiya LNG Power Plant Political pressure blocks tender award
- One cannot expect failed rebels to become effective administrators MR
- FTA with Singapore Professionals claim Govt misleading public
- Alleged manhandling of principal:CM QUITS EDUCATION PORTFOLIO, pending probe
- 60 arrested in Kataragama mayhem
- Call to roll back FBR rule for female workers Thousands of foreign jobs in limbo - ALFEA
- Alleged manhandling of principal: CM QUITS EDUCATION PORTFOLIO, pending probe
- Senior Journalist Jatila Wellaboda passes away
- Hunt on for missing Police weapon Team flees Jumbo charge during ganja raid
- ‘Gender-based violence on the rise at Pera Uni’
- New Ambassador-Designate of China arrives in SL
- Two SLPPers pledge support to President Sirisena
- Wants Armed Forces out of Jaffna
- Using a dog as live bait to capture Panmure leopard Environmentalists cry foul
- PRESIDENT TO TAKE OVER ECONOMY AFTER LG POLLS
- Only fraction of requested funds sent to NPC last year Lack of funds derails development plans – CM
- US Govt in shutdown
- PCoI report on Bonds issue AG holds back 103 pages
- Alarming Police statistics reveal 3 underage girls raped every day!
- LANKAN LAWS SUFFICIENT ARJUNA MAHENDRAN CAN BE ARRESTED – AG
- Acceptance of new NSFs by NOC NOC Members expect further clarification from IOC
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Cambrians win by an innings
- 92nd National Boxing Championship Army retain men’s title MAS Unichela emerge women’s champs
- Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon Madumali finishes 11th with PB
- Man City back on track
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Div.II Cricket St. John’s advance to semis
- Sainz survives dunes to win Dakar Rally
- Nadal survives test, Wozniacki turns on style
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Plate Championship begins today
- Premier League Club Cricket – Tier ‘B’ Panadura SC crush Galle CC
- Buttler serves up series success for England
- Police force a draw
- 58th Senior Nationals Hockey tournament Defence Services clinch titles
- All rounder Thisara saves SL blushes
- Premier League Club Cricket-Tier A NCC win by 10 wickets
- NOCSL Members came out together against current regime Rohan Fernando announces candidacy for presidency
- North and South Korea to compete under one flag
- Financial irregularities of NOCSL exposed in Audit
- HNB Sponsors Millennium Trophy Golf Tournament Dr. Scarth and Niloo Jayathilake clinch top awards
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Ireland beat Afghanistan
- China, Sri Lanka and the ‘Politics of Investment’ What are the sources and impact of China’s economic leverage?
- Swaps boost liquidity by over 1,000%
- Rocell among Top 20 Sri Lankan Brands
- Bupa Global Insurance to further develop SL operations
- What happens at the World Economic Forum?
- Investigate losses in the CSE, T-Bond issues from 2008-14: Presidential Commission
- IMF has choked Tunisia, and now the people are protesting
- Will we ever be able to trust driverless cars?
- Gateway Graduate School and Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University sign MOU Innovative Aerospace dual enrolment programme outside US
- World markets hammer higher on rising metal prices
- New research puts SL at 89th in ‘Doing Business’ index
- Browns to set up $5M pharma plant
- Norochcholai workers’ lives in danger
- Guidelines allegedly violated
- SriLankan posts highest-ever monthly revenue in December
- Shares gain for the first time in eight days
- India to become fastest growing large economy in 2018: Report
- PUCSL to sue CEB
- Emergency power costs SL Rs 40B
- Tourism earnings up 2.3% Jan-Nov
- Foreign missions’ failure to correct Sri Lanka’s tarnished image Tamil Diaspora vilifications
- Concretes & Abstracts Pitipana Committee and Public Debt
- Achieving true lasting reconciliation
- Dying art of sending postcards
- The Pursuit of Peace Starting at SCOPP
- Vote for women this LG Polls
- Block law’s lacunae Not letting bond thieves go scot-free
- Europe prods homeless with spikes and cold showers
- UN warns of South Sudan’s ‘lost generation’ grinding conflict
- Hazardous multi-plug on the way out
- Participatory citizenship is important - Rosy
- I have a master plan - Salley
- All set for Free and Fair LG Polls – Mahinda Deshapriya
- If given power We’ll develop country in two years -Chandrasiri Mahagamage
- Upcoming LG Elections a referendum
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Forecast your own destiny An astrological guide
- Kala Sarpa Yoga will test sustainability of government
- TIMING OF EVENTS –CHILD BIRTH
- Season for Marriage and Construction
- Cancer Causing Vastu Defects
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Indu & Sanwada We have so much in common
- The Writer’s Kitchenette Vietnamese Fusion Rice Wraps
- ‘Derana Champion’ Shines with OPPO
- A Possible Fallout as US freezes Funds for Palestinian refugees
- Jungle loving President Premadasa
- How Felix Dias became Bandaranaike
- IT IS MY CHOICE
- In your own skin be the barrel you want
- Dear Patriarchy,Dilshani Palugaswewa tells it like it is in this open letter