Disney - Fox deal a media and entertainment earthquake
By Hadas Gold
If all goes as the media world expects, at some point this week or next Disney will announce that it is purchasing a large chunk of 21st Century Fox in what would be one of the largest media deals in recent years.
If the deal goes through, Disney will take ownership of one of the United States' largest movie studios, including franchises like the blockbusters based on the Marvel Universe, as well as television channels like FX and National Geographic and a majority ownership of streaming service Hulu, among many other properties.
It would also be a monumental deal for 21st Century Fox (FOX), significantly changing the company's trajectory and Chief Executive Rupert Murdoch's legacy. And, analysts say, the fact that talks have come so far is indicative of the changing media environment, and that this could be a prescient move by a company better known for acquiring assets than selling.
If the deal proceeds along the lines that have been reported in the media, including by CNNMoney, Disney will be taking on 21st Century Fox's studio and television production companies including its 20th Century Fox Film Corporation, National Geographic, its regional sports networks, and its stakes in Sky and Hulu. 21st Century Fox would keep its news divisions including Fox News and Fox Business, as well as its broadcast network and the local stations it owns and the cable channel Fox Sports.
The deal would be subject to regulatory approval and is likely to take about one year to close.
BTIG media and technology analyst Richard Greenfield believes history will look "favourably" upon the Murdoch family for knowing when to sell, and that Disney may be making the wrong move.
"Disney is doubling down on its own troubled asset base," Greenfield said, referring to its sports-heavy cable network portfolio, including ESPN, which has been going through a down period recently. "Buying Fox would add regional sports network, would add Sky Sports, Star Sports, basically expand the ESPN problem not just in the US but globally."
Greenfield believes that Disney (DIS) adding Fox's movie studios "makes perfect sense" from a business perspective, but that it also carries with it meaningful regulatory risk considering Disney is already so dominant in that space, owning not just its titular studio but also others like Lucas Films, Marvel and Pixar.
The sale is an "absolutely brilliant move by the Murdoch family," Greenfield said, because it gets them a good price before their industry declines any further. "This is the perfect time to be getting out." Greenfield said. "Selling now versus waiting for the bundle, or God forbid an Apple or Amazon start buying sports rights, the whole cable bundle could collapse. Trying to get out now is absolutely the right move."
Still, there are clearly reasons why Disney would want to do this deal. For one, it will double its stake in Hulu with the acquisition, becoming majority owner. And as Disney prepares to launch its own over the top streaming services in 2019, it could become a more formidable foe for the likes of Netflix (NFLX) by combining its existing content with Fox's movie, television and sports content. Brian Weiser, senior research analyst for the Pivotal Research Group, said Disney will likely now have improved leverage while negotiating with cable and new media distributors, as well as improved capacity to make more content and multiple approaches for going direct to consumer with their content.
"With Disney there are synergies and value in getting bigger and getting a successor, if they clarify who will succeed Bob Iger," Wieser said, referring to some reports that suggest 21st Century Fox CEO James Murdoch could move to Disney with a senior role as a result of the deal. "There's also value in getting more kicks at the can of figuring out what the optimal direct to consumer is for the top delivery of content."
As for Fox, Wieser said the smaller entity could see some advantages from putting more concentrated attention on the news business, perhaps even integrating the Fox News channel more with its Fox broadcast stations.
Fox could expand its broadcast operations, helped along by a Federal Communications Commission vote on Thursday altering and possibly killing the national limit on local television station ownership. And with Sinclair Broadcasting Group posing a potential challenge to the dominance of Fox News, Fox could "nip that in the bud by taking a superior broadcast footprint," Wieser noted.
Observers have speculated that the remains of Fox would recombine with the Murdochs' News Corp, the company that owns properties like the Wall Street Journal, New York Post and Harper Collins, which 21st Century Fox split from in 2013.
"It seems highly likely," Wieser said. "It's safe to say there are synergies between newspapers, broadcast stations and news gathering operations. There is value to be created on that basis alone."
- Using a dog as live bait to capture Panmure leopard Environmentalists cry foul
- PRESIDENT TO TAKE OVER ECONOMY AFTER LG POLLS
- Only fraction of requested funds sent to NPC last year Lack of funds derails development plans – CM
- US Govt in shutdown
- PCoI report on Bonds issue AG holds back 103 pages
- Alarming Police statistics reveal 3 underage girls raped every day!
- LANKAN LAWS SUFFICIENT ARJUNA MAHENDRAN CAN BE ARRESTED – AG
- Once Parliament convenes on 23rd JO to grill Govt on Bonds scam When will legal action be taken?
- Sunday Leader Editor murder case Intelligence men seen loitering near Lasantha’s office CID
- Ensure a free and fair election AAGGSL Urges public to elect honest candidates
- Elimination of bribery and corruption National Action Plan discussed
- Lankan jailed in UAE after FB post
- US helping SL to counter human trafficking
- 73-election law violations and 168 election related complaints 21 candidates among 197 arrested
- Seat belts and air bags compulsory from July
- Torture and Enforced Disappearances EU-SL JC insists on zero tolerance Wants PTA repealed and CCP amended
- If Ranil removed from Premiership UNPers threaten to impeach Prez
- Prez hints at being afflicted by Mahinda syndrome
- Rupee weakens 40 cents amidst uncertainty
- Udayanga has Rs 94M in 8 bank accounts FCID
- Malaka surrenders to Court Arrest warrant recalled
- To iron out SLFP-UNP issues in Yahapalana Govt Forming of advisory council proposed SLFP and UNP Ministers to discuss this week
- Obtaining bribe to release dead body 2 fmr MoH janitors sentenced to 8 years
- CIABOC withdraws charges Aluthgamage released from Case
- Rejection of Maharagama UC nominations SC throws out SLPP petition CoA postpones 14 petitions to 24th
- NOCSL Members came out together against current regime Rohan Fernando announces candidacy for presidency
- North and South Korea to compete under one flag
- Financial irregularities of NOCSL exposed in Audit
- HNB Sponsors Millennium Trophy Golf Tournament Dr. Scarth and Niloo Jayathilake clinch top awards
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Ireland beat Afghanistan
- Sharapova eliminated Halep survives
- Kandy SC stay unbeaten
- Premier League club cricket – Tier A Marians crush Ports Authority
- Premier League Cricket – Tier ‘B’ Naved scores his third ton
- Bruised Sri Lanka battle to stay alive
- Svitolina ends dream of teen
- Sainz stays on Dakar title course
- Federer says get on with it
- New Zealand beat Pakistan in clean sweep
- North Western Archery C’ship Wayamba Royal International School holds contest
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Division 1 Cricket Three schools advance to semis
- National athletes petitioned to IOC over controversial athletes’ commission
- Homeboys Kandy tough to beat on own turf
- Army favoured to win
- India rout Zimbabwe
- PUCSL to sue CEB
- Emergency power costs SL Rs 40B
- Tourism earnings up 2.3% Jan-Nov
- India’s Marg ERP to expand in SL
- Hemas acquires 75.1% of Atlas for Rs 5.7 billion
- SLT launches SL’s first Tier III ‘National Data Centre’
- CIMA organizes Directors’ Tax Forum 2018
- Carpetright shares crash on profit warning
- Sri Lanka achieves record exports in 2017
- Investment and employment opportunities open up in Maldives
- CCC launches ‘Economic + Sector Review and Outlook Report 2018’
- Strengthening the labour force to face the Fourth Industrial Revolution
- 100PLUS isotonic brand now in Sri Lanka
- NDB Wealth marks 2018 with website re-launch
- ABANS donates school supplies to children of staff
- BMICH nominated for Platinum award
- ‘PIONEERING LANKA’S SOLAR POWER MY BENCHMARK’
- Vallibel Finance opens in Wennappuwa
- CMA Australia completes 20 years in Sri Lanka
- MullenLowe, Quantum to list 2018 consumer trends
- Concretes & Abstracts Pitipana Committee and Public Debt
- Achieving true lasting reconciliation
- Dying art of sending postcards
- The Pursuit of Peace Starting at SCOPP
- The Oddest President Ever!
- Gang rape shakes Tissamaharama
- Threat to fauna and flora in the Wilpattu National Park region Lid blown on Gangewadiya sand mining racket Dredging of sand on such big scale poses a grave threat to wildlife
- Who are the ‘Aava’ Group? Mohan’s story
- Local Government Elections on 10 February will be largest electoral exercise in history Many firsts in LG Polls this year
- Elbow pain Is it Tennis or Golfer’s Elbow?
- Participatory citizenship is important - Rosy
- I have a master plan - Salley
- All set for Free and Fair LG Polls – Mahinda Deshapriya
- If given power We’ll develop country in two years -Chandrasiri Mahagamage
- Upcoming LG Elections a referendum
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Forecast your own destiny An astrological guide
- Kala Sarpa Yoga will test sustainability of government
- TIMING OF EVENTS –CHILD BIRTH
- Season for Marriage and Construction
- Cancer Causing Vastu Defects
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Indu & Sanwada We have so much in common
- The Writer’s Kitchenette Vietnamese Fusion Rice Wraps
- ‘Derana Champion’ Shines with OPPO
- A Possible Fallout as US freezes Funds for Palestinian refugees
- Jungle loving President Premadasa
- How Felix Dias became Bandaranaike
- IT IS MY CHOICE
- In your own skin be the barrel you want
- Dear Patriarchy,Dilshani Palugaswewa tells it like it is in this open letter