Court extends Stay Order on Gota case
By Kavindya Perera
The Stay Order issued by the Court of Appeal on the Financial Crimes Investigation Division (FCID) preventing any action being taken against former Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa over the misappropriation of public funds amounting to Rs 90 million for the construction of the D.A. Rajapaksa Museum at Weeraketiya was extended till 25 January 2018, yesterday (15).
The Court of Appeal bench comprising the Court's President Justice L.T.B. Dehideniya and Justice Shiran Guneratne having considered a writ application filed by Rajapaksa issued the order yesterday.
When the petition was previously called on
6 December it was extended till 15 December.
During yesterday's hearing, senior attorney Viraj Dayaratne appearing for the Attorney General (AG) requested the Court not to extend the stay order any further.
He said that the reasons behind the submission of this petition had first been reported to a Magistrate's Court on 13 May 2015 and that the writ petition related to the case had only been filed two years afterwards. Dayaratne told the Court that therefore the Stay Order should not be extended further.
However, President's Counsel (PC) Romesh de Silva appearing for the petitioner told the Court that there were alleged attempts made to imprison his client and that the alleged misappropriation of funds had already been paid.
Romesh de Silva PC told the Court on 28 November that the FCID was making attempts to arrest his client citing, the aforementioned charges and that a certificate from an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) had been submitted to a Magistrate's Court based on the Offences against Public Property Act.
He further affirmed that this was entirely a civil transaction.
Romesh de Silva PC said that an ASP certificate had been submitted based on the aforementioned Act with the aim of remanding his client with no recourse to bail.
Petitioner Gotabaya Rajapaksa has cited the Inspector General of Police, the Director of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID), the Senior Deputy Inspector General of the FCID, the ASP of the FCID and the AG as respondents in his petition.
The petitioner has pointed out that the D.A. Rajapaksa Museum had been built at Weeraketiya following an agreement reached between the D.A. Rajapaksa Foundation and the Sri Lanka Land Reclamation and Development Corporation and only a sum of Rs 33 million had been spent on the construction.
- Using a dog as live bait to capture Panmure leopard Environmentalists cry foul
- PRESIDENT TO TAKE OVER ECONOMY AFTER LG POLLS
- Only fraction of requested funds sent to NPC last year Lack of funds derails development plans – CM
- US Govt in shutdown
- PCoI report on Bonds issue AG holds back 103 pages
- Alarming Police statistics reveal 3 underage girls raped every day!
- LANKAN LAWS SUFFICIENT ARJUNA MAHENDRAN CAN BE ARRESTED – AG
- Once Parliament convenes on 23rd JO to grill Govt on Bonds scam When will legal action be taken?
- Sunday Leader Editor murder case Intelligence men seen loitering near Lasantha’s office CID
- Ensure a free and fair election AAGGSL Urges public to elect honest candidates
- Elimination of bribery and corruption National Action Plan discussed
- Lankan jailed in UAE after FB post
- US helping SL to counter human trafficking
- 73-election law violations and 168 election related complaints 21 candidates among 197 arrested
- Seat belts and air bags compulsory from July
- Torture and Enforced Disappearances EU-SL JC insists on zero tolerance Wants PTA repealed and CCP amended
- If Ranil removed from Premiership UNPers threaten to impeach Prez
- Prez hints at being afflicted by Mahinda syndrome
- Rupee weakens 40 cents amidst uncertainty
- Udayanga has Rs 94M in 8 bank accounts FCID
- Malaka surrenders to Court Arrest warrant recalled
- To iron out SLFP-UNP issues in Yahapalana Govt Forming of advisory council proposed SLFP and UNP Ministers to discuss this week
- Obtaining bribe to release dead body 2 fmr MoH janitors sentenced to 8 years
- CIABOC withdraws charges Aluthgamage released from Case
- Rejection of Maharagama UC nominations SC throws out SLPP petition CoA postpones 14 petitions to 24th
- NOCSL Members came out together against current regime Rohan Fernando announces candidacy for presidency
- North and South Korea to compete under one flag
- Financial irregularities of NOCSL exposed in Audit
- HNB Sponsors Millennium Trophy Golf Tournament Dr. Scarth and Niloo Jayathilake clinch top awards
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Ireland beat Afghanistan
- Sharapova eliminated Halep survives
- Kandy SC stay unbeaten
- Premier League club cricket – Tier A Marians crush Ports Authority
- Premier League Cricket – Tier ‘B’ Naved scores his third ton
- Bruised Sri Lanka battle to stay alive
- Svitolina ends dream of teen
- Sainz stays on Dakar title course
- Federer says get on with it
- New Zealand beat Pakistan in clean sweep
- North Western Archery C’ship Wayamba Royal International School holds contest
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Division 1 Cricket Three schools advance to semis
- National athletes petitioned to IOC over controversial athletes’ commission
- Homeboys Kandy tough to beat on own turf
- Army favoured to win
- India rout Zimbabwe
- PUCSL to sue CEB
- Emergency power costs SL Rs 40B
- Tourism earnings up 2.3% Jan-Nov
- India’s Marg ERP to expand in SL
- Hemas acquires 75.1% of Atlas for Rs 5.7 billion
- SLT launches SL’s first Tier III ‘National Data Centre’
- CIMA organizes Directors’ Tax Forum 2018
- Carpetright shares crash on profit warning
- Sri Lanka achieves record exports in 2017
- Investment and employment opportunities open up in Maldives
- CCC launches ‘Economic + Sector Review and Outlook Report 2018’
- Strengthening the labour force to face the Fourth Industrial Revolution
- 100PLUS isotonic brand now in Sri Lanka
- NDB Wealth marks 2018 with website re-launch
- ABANS donates school supplies to children of staff
- BMICH nominated for Platinum award
- ‘PIONEERING LANKA’S SOLAR POWER MY BENCHMARK’
- Vallibel Finance opens in Wennappuwa
- CMA Australia completes 20 years in Sri Lanka
- MullenLowe, Quantum to list 2018 consumer trends
- Concretes & Abstracts Pitipana Committee and Public Debt
- Achieving true lasting reconciliation
- Dying art of sending postcards
- The Pursuit of Peace Starting at SCOPP
- The Oddest President Ever!
- Gang rape shakes Tissamaharama
- Threat to fauna and flora in the Wilpattu National Park region Lid blown on Gangewadiya sand mining racket Dredging of sand on such big scale poses a grave threat to wildlife
- Who are the ‘Aava’ Group? Mohan’s story
- Local Government Elections on 10 February will be largest electoral exercise in history Many firsts in LG Polls this year
- Elbow pain Is it Tennis or Golfer’s Elbow?
- Participatory citizenship is important - Rosy
- I have a master plan - Salley
- All set for Free and Fair LG Polls – Mahinda Deshapriya
- If given power We’ll develop country in two years -Chandrasiri Mahagamage
- Upcoming LG Elections a referendum
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Forecast your own destiny An astrological guide
- Kala Sarpa Yoga will test sustainability of government
- TIMING OF EVENTS –CHILD BIRTH
- Season for Marriage and Construction
- Cancer Causing Vastu Defects
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Indu & Sanwada We have so much in common
- The Writer’s Kitchenette Vietnamese Fusion Rice Wraps
- ‘Derana Champion’ Shines with OPPO
- A Possible Fallout as US freezes Funds for Palestinian refugees
- Jungle loving President Premadasa
- How Felix Dias became Bandaranaike
- IT IS MY CHOICE
- In your own skin be the barrel you want
- Dear Patriarchy,Dilshani Palugaswewa tells it like it is in this open letter