Inviting wrath of goddess Lakshmi
By J. Gunapala
Despite your knowledge and education, you may find certain aspects of the universe difficult to fathom. This experience is common to all humans as we are not enlightened beings; that includes this writer who is ignorant about a vast number of things. If someone thinks that he knows it all, there is no other person as foolish as he is. Due to this situation we must be careful as to refrain from doing certain things that we do not fully understand. The following is about this unknown aspect.
As soon as you wake up in the morning, if you come out from the main entrance, clear your throat and spit out, it formulates a bad habit. On the day it is done you will experience disunity, or stress; the possibility of ill health or difficulty cannot be ruled out during the course of the day. There will be obstacles to your work.
Do not sweep the dust and trash out from the main entrance. The entire day will be unpleasant. You may experience frequent shortages or loss in the house.
Do not wait until commodities such as sugar, salt and rice are finished in the kitchen. Specially do not wait till you have to scratch out the last grain of sugar from the bottle. This applies to salt as well. Do not wait till the salt bottle is empty. Do not wait till the last grain of rice is used. Those stand as bad omens against abundance.
Do not leave dirty clothes hanging on chairs, clothes lines, put up in rooms or on the doors; instead have a separate container for them. It may affect abundance in the house.
We have seen on many occasions that adults as well as children put all their weight on one side of the body and stand on one leg. This augurs ill luck. When this posture is constantly practised it is believed that their future become bleak. Such children may become stubborn from an early age. There are also those who prefer to keep their hands folded in front. This is an undesirable posture. Such people will not progress in life.
If animals such as dogs, cats or cattle come to you showing a friendly demeanour, do not chase them away. Give them some food if you can afford or at least stroke their heads. If this incident takes place in the morning, you will meet someone before Sunset.
Trees blossom due to their connection with nature. Therefore it is inauspicious to strip the trees of all flowers. This may create a distance between the tree and universal energy. It may block divine grace. This is highly relevant to plants such as jasmine, Kiri- idda and Nil Katarolu. It is highly inauspicious to dry clothes on such plants. People dry their clothes on flower plants on many occasions. Therefore refrain from such acts that may create consequences that you do not understand.
If you are working at a workshop, before starting work in the morning venerate the machine you use, with folded hands. If you are doing clerical work in an office, bow to the stationary and the table before starting work. I have seen many drivers venerate the steering wheel before they start the engine. The drivers who are careless have the tendency to meet with accidents at any time of the day. There are many such customs that you are unaware of. By conforming to them nothing harmful will result. There are certain things that you should not do without being aware. Especially when you are angry don't give vent to your anger by smashing objects on the floor. Don't break them. Don't be callous and fast drive a vehicle. I have seen school children who bang their books, pens, and bag when they are angry. The side effects of such acts however trivial, can be disastrous as it may lead to disruption of education.
I have seen coconut pluckers who venerate the coconut tree with folded hands before climbing. This act should be appreciated. Those who are unaware of these customs sometimes get into difficulties. Therefore do not let your ignorance get the better of you.
During the fruit season do not climb a tree and eat the fruits while still on the tree; also refrain from plucking all the fruits. It may affect the tree as the tree may not come to fruition in the next season. Sometimes the taste may be missing or the fruits may get spoilt and fall prematurely. Therefore a part of the fruits should be left on the tree for birds and other creatures. Then only the tree will feel satisfied. There are people who fall from fruit trees with their branches broken. This is due to not abiding by these values. Therefore avoid doing what you are not sure about.
It is highly inauspicious to climb a coconut or a king coconut tree and pluck the nuts and drink their water or eat the kernel while still on the tree. The bounty of the tree may diminish. It is not good to break branches of a tree that provide shelter.
The above factors will contribute to a more successful life. The bad periods in life are caused by the unwholesome acts committed in past lives; acting in ignorance too may cause undesirable side effects.
- Using a dog as live bait to capture Panmure leopard Environmentalists cry foul
- PRESIDENT TO TAKE OVER ECONOMY AFTER LG POLLS
- Only fraction of requested funds sent to NPC last year Lack of funds derails development plans – CM
- US Govt in shutdown
- PCoI report on Bonds issue AG holds back 103 pages
- Alarming Police statistics reveal 3 underage girls raped every day!
- LANKAN LAWS SUFFICIENT ARJUNA MAHENDRAN CAN BE ARRESTED – AG
- Once Parliament convenes on 23rd JO to grill Govt on Bonds scam When will legal action be taken?
- Sunday Leader Editor murder case Intelligence men seen loitering near Lasantha’s office CID
- Ensure a free and fair election AAGGSL Urges public to elect honest candidates
- Elimination of bribery and corruption National Action Plan discussed
- Lankan jailed in UAE after FB post
- US helping SL to counter human trafficking
- 73-election law violations and 168 election related complaints 21 candidates among 197 arrested
- Seat belts and air bags compulsory from July
- Torture and Enforced Disappearances EU-SL JC insists on zero tolerance Wants PTA repealed and CCP amended
- If Ranil removed from Premiership UNPers threaten to impeach Prez
- Prez hints at being afflicted by Mahinda syndrome
- Rupee weakens 40 cents amidst uncertainty
- Udayanga has Rs 94M in 8 bank accounts FCID
- Malaka surrenders to Court Arrest warrant recalled
- To iron out SLFP-UNP issues in Yahapalana Govt Forming of advisory council proposed SLFP and UNP Ministers to discuss this week
- Obtaining bribe to release dead body 2 fmr MoH janitors sentenced to 8 years
- CIABOC withdraws charges Aluthgamage released from Case
- Rejection of Maharagama UC nominations SC throws out SLPP petition CoA postpones 14 petitions to 24th
- NOCSL Members came out together against current regime Rohan Fernando announces candidacy for presidency
- North and South Korea to compete under one flag
- Financial irregularities of NOCSL exposed in Audit
- HNB Sponsors Millennium Trophy Golf Tournament Dr. Scarth and Niloo Jayathilake clinch top awards
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Ireland beat Afghanistan
- Sharapova eliminated Halep survives
- Kandy SC stay unbeaten
- Premier League club cricket – Tier A Marians crush Ports Authority
- Premier League Cricket – Tier ‘B’ Naved scores his third ton
- Bruised Sri Lanka battle to stay alive
- Svitolina ends dream of teen
- Sainz stays on Dakar title course
- Federer says get on with it
- New Zealand beat Pakistan in clean sweep
- North Western Archery C’ship Wayamba Royal International School holds contest
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Division 1 Cricket Three schools advance to semis
- National athletes petitioned to IOC over controversial athletes’ commission
- Homeboys Kandy tough to beat on own turf
- Army favoured to win
- India rout Zimbabwe
- PUCSL to sue CEB
- Emergency power costs SL Rs 40B
- Tourism earnings up 2.3% Jan-Nov
- India’s Marg ERP to expand in SL
- Hemas acquires 75.1% of Atlas for Rs 5.7 billion
- SLT launches SL’s first Tier III ‘National Data Centre’
- CIMA organizes Directors’ Tax Forum 2018
- Carpetright shares crash on profit warning
- Sri Lanka achieves record exports in 2017
- Investment and employment opportunities open up in Maldives
- CCC launches ‘Economic + Sector Review and Outlook Report 2018’
- Strengthening the labour force to face the Fourth Industrial Revolution
- 100PLUS isotonic brand now in Sri Lanka
- NDB Wealth marks 2018 with website re-launch
- ABANS donates school supplies to children of staff
- BMICH nominated for Platinum award
- ‘PIONEERING LANKA’S SOLAR POWER MY BENCHMARK’
- Vallibel Finance opens in Wennappuwa
- CMA Australia completes 20 years in Sri Lanka
- MullenLowe, Quantum to list 2018 consumer trends
- Concretes & Abstracts Pitipana Committee and Public Debt
- Achieving true lasting reconciliation
- Dying art of sending postcards
- The Pursuit of Peace Starting at SCOPP
- The Oddest President Ever!
- Gang rape shakes Tissamaharama
- Threat to fauna and flora in the Wilpattu National Park region Lid blown on Gangewadiya sand mining racket Dredging of sand on such big scale poses a grave threat to wildlife
- Who are the ‘Aava’ Group? Mohan’s story
- Local Government Elections on 10 February will be largest electoral exercise in history Many firsts in LG Polls this year
- Elbow pain Is it Tennis or Golfer’s Elbow?
- Participatory citizenship is important - Rosy
- I have a master plan - Salley
- All set for Free and Fair LG Polls – Mahinda Deshapriya
- If given power We’ll develop country in two years -Chandrasiri Mahagamage
- Upcoming LG Elections a referendum
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Forecast your own destiny An astrological guide
- Kala Sarpa Yoga will test sustainability of government
- TIMING OF EVENTS –CHILD BIRTH
- Season for Marriage and Construction
- Cancer Causing Vastu Defects
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Indu & Sanwada We have so much in common
- The Writer’s Kitchenette Vietnamese Fusion Rice Wraps
- ‘Derana Champion’ Shines with OPPO
- A Possible Fallout as US freezes Funds for Palestinian refugees
- Jungle loving President Premadasa
- How Felix Dias became Bandaranaike
- IT IS MY CHOICE
- In your own skin be the barrel you want
- Dear Patriarchy,Dilshani Palugaswewa tells it like it is in this open letter