I have no real competition at the moment- Teruni
By Menaka Indrakumar
Today's busy and hectic lifestyle makes people look for easier methods to get about with everyday work. Be it the much needed personal grooming for oneself, it has become a tough task to fulfil. Knowing this and the growing demands in the industry, Founder and Managing Director of Club Soirte, Teruni De Silva created an online booking engine a year ago. Today, the engine acts as a successful and leading intermediary.
It displays some of the best deals and discounts in the town and handles each and every detail of client and brand.
When and why did you start Club Soirté?
It was just over a year ago that we officially launched and it's purely because I wanted to fast-track my appointment making, yes, via a method more efficient than a call. And this means everything from, the client being able to reach the establishment, communicating the client's needs effectively and quickly, actually getting the stylist you booked with, re-confirmation of the appointment and so on.
How do you manage to stay on top of the game?
It's part of my personality to be modest, but if I were to answer accurately I'd say that I have no real competition at the moment. The models that have tried to mimic Club Soirté as market disruptor, lack proper strategic vision, focus and local adaptation in a way that is sustainable and ethical, in my view. Therefore, I am left with the task of advancing the features of the existing Club Soirté model that clients would universally find useful in global reservation systems.
What is the beauty industry lacking currently?
Where do I begin! In the recent past, the Sri Lankan beauty industry with regard to the servicing aspect has caught up immensely in implementing globally trending treatments via importing the necessary machinery and technical knowledge. However, we have the massive staffing issue, the lack of necessary training, the communication barriers etc., to overcome. I'd say there's a lot of critical value additions lacking on a micro level in the broader issues mentioned above.
Tell us how your online booking engine is different to the rest?
It's the only validated booking engine available in the market having exclusive partnerships with all partner operators we bring on board. Further, I personally look into the business development side which means that if the establishments don't meet my standards they are deemed as unfit to join our platform. Our USP is that we guarantee your appointment, with the people you wish to book with, at the date and time that you desire. We give instant confirmation, whilst with other models you can only request an appointment.
One beauty product you cannot travel without, and why?
There's two actually. One is the Bobbi Brown corrector and the other is my Mac studio fix powder. Yes, they both attend to the aesthetics of my face!
Do you want keep Club Soirté only for the beauty industry, will you be expanding?
I have plans to expand but only once I have a proper foothold in beauty. I need to further establish myself here and ensure I capture my entire TG, which is rather broad.
What was the most difficult part of starting the online booking engine?
The right human resources to implement my vision. There were quite a few incompetent technical persons that worked on Club Soirté at its inception, so it took a while for me to find the right people that knew how to put together exactly what I wanted.
Where do you see the Club Soirté in five years?
Beyond our borders and massively diversified to say the least. As I mentioned in another interview I would like to refrain from saying more so I don't feed unnecessary information to my indirect competition.
Will there be new brands joining in the future?
Of course. We will continue to grow by partnering reputed establishments both large and small. I am keen to expand rapidly and become the most trusted real-time booking platform to hit the local market.
One business woman you admire, and why?
I have to say that its one of my best friends Adhisha Dahanayake - I could be slightly biased since we associate with each other day in and day out! She eats, breathes and lives her brand, Double XL, and that's exactly how a business mind should work. I was once told to dream about your product offering to bring it to life, and she stands out in my mind as one to do so, which is testament to their success.
What does success mean to you?
Success means the ability to help our broader community. I'm a strong believer in engaging in charitable deeds, and doing so for people who are unable to return the favour. In other words, having no expectations for what you do. That is true charity. For me, success encompasses personal achievements such as merits, profits, accolades and so on, but I believe we should expand beyond to the Utilitarian notion of the 'greater good for all' in our
PIC BY ANURUDDHA MEDAWATTEGEDRA
- Iran’s response to security challenges in West Asia
- Gained dependence of Baltic States
- Religious buildings in Kazakhstan to be labelled 16+
- SEUSL ranked 7th
- Hakeem’s statement ridiculous - Bathiudeen
- LG polls HRCSL to monitor public officials and cops Violations to be dealt with sternly
- To free State institution heads held hostage 6 STF special units in Colombo
- Spanish assistance for ten flyovers
- Don’t forgive robbers of Public funds - Sirisena
- At St. Lucia’s Cathedral Kotahena Schubert’s G Major Mass on 18 Feb
- UNP backbenchers to meet Prez, PM and CIABOC To handover files of SLFP Ministers’ alleged fraud and corruption
- family members of ‘Kudu Suda’ arrested
- Thailand to assist SL agri sector
- Following Bonds scandal UNP internal crisis worsens - Sirikotha
- Alleged manhandling of principal:Premajayantha denounces Uva CM’s actions
- Markets in tumult over political uncertainty
- Susil explains why Prez wants to take over economy NEC’s success or lack may have played a role
- Muslim Matrimonial Law reforms Thalatha gets Marsoof Committee report
- EPRLF MP Sivashakthi Anandan alleges:15 TNA MPs bribed by PM’s Office
- Kataragama rioters cum looters given bail crowd control methods problematic –HRCSL Chair Reiterates call for the Police to come up with crowd control manual
- Long term conciliation in Korea
- Germany and Europe: A New Relationship?
- Key role to strengthen SLFP -Wijewickrama
- Blood donation at SEUSL
- Faizer Mustapha says Muslims must trust SLFP and President
- Mudannayake ‘Sir’ no more
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Ranasinghe steers St. Anne’s to victory
- Failed attempt to justify Auditor General’s report regarding mismanagement of NOC Funds Maxwell accepts lapses in NOCSL Accounts
- Has Hathu caught a tiger by the tail
- Zimbabwe will look to improve
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Canada and Zimbabwe win
- Kusal Perera asked to rest
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Lakshan steers DSS to sound position
- Chung dumps Djokovic
- LB Finance win Futsal tournament
- Federer and happy Halep romp into quarters
- New Zealand sink Pakistan
- Smith rejects ball-tampering suggestions after ODI loss
- Warner to lead Australia in T20 tri-series
- Real defy crisis talk as Barca extend lead
- Acceptance of new NSFs by NOC NOC Members expect further clarification from IOC
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Cambrians win by an innings
- 92nd National Boxing Championship Army retain men’s title MAS Unichela emerge women’s champs
- Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon Madumali finishes 11th with PB
- Man City back on track
- public debate misinformed
- World’s richest 1% gets 82% of global wealth: Oxfam
- Oxford Business Group, Ceylon Chamber to analyze SL trade strategy
- Sampath Samachara loans for rtd Govt servants
- Huawei’s nova2i updating to safe and accurate facial recognition unlock feature
- SLT Human Capital Solutions rewards employees’ children
- Scan Jumbo Peanuts concludes Scan Jumbo Bonanza
- World Economic Forum kicks off today Populism is waning, which is reason to party in Davos
- Cargills Bank pioneers IBM cognitive cyber security
- Practise the four roles of leadership
- Seylan Bank hosting ‘Tikiri New School Term Promotion’
- Amazon opens a supermarket with no checkouts
- Dengue awareness programme held in Piliyandala
- Meet the newest player in the global space industry
- Asian stocks falter as political developments unfold
- Sri Lanka Customs moots authorized dealer system Rs 31 M in counterfeit products destroyed
- 2017’s record exports nothing special - IC
- SL - Singapore FTA to be signed today
- Govt can’t even maintain a policy for two weeks
- VinaCapital, Ataraxia Capital launch $50M Sri Lanka Opportunity Fund
- The March of Folly A disgraceful Attorney General
- Kenyan doctor goes to Court To legalize female genital mutilation
- Foreign missions’ failure to correct Sri Lanka’s tarnished image Tamil Diaspora vilifications
- Concretes & Abstracts Pitipana Committee and Public Debt
- Achieving true lasting reconciliation
- Sparks fly over Power and Energy Sector CEB, PUCSL and Ministry clash as electricity crisis looms
- Vote for women this LG Polls
- Block law’s lacunae Not letting bond thieves go scot-free
- Europe prods homeless with spikes and cold showers
- UN warns of South Sudan’s ‘lost generation’ grinding conflict
- Govt has not lost a red cent from Bond transactions
- Participatory citizenship is important - Rosy
- I have a master plan - Salley
- All set for Free and Fair LG Polls – Mahinda Deshapriya
- If given power We’ll develop country in two years -Chandrasiri Mahagamage
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Forecast your own destiny An astrological guide
- Kala Sarpa Yoga will test sustainability of government
- TIMING OF EVENTS –CHILD BIRTH
- Season for Marriage and Construction
- Cancer Causing Vastu Defects
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Indu & Sanwada We have so much in common
- The Writer’s Kitchenette Vietnamese Fusion Rice Wraps
- ‘Derana Champion’ Shines with OPPO
- A Possible Fallout as US freezes Funds for Palestinian refugees
- Jungle loving President Premadasa
- How Felix Dias became Bandaranaike
- IT IS MY CHOICE
- In your own skin be the barrel you want
- Dear Patriarchy,Dilshani Palugaswewa tells it like it is in this open letter