How to Buy the Right Smartphone
By Shafiya Nawzer
Smart phones are the most widely used devices. One can use it to multi task and complete any activity at the tap of a finger. It has a touch screen interface, Internet access, and an operating system capable of running downloaded apps. Comprised with features such as: camera, telephone calls, internet, banking and mp3 players, they usually fit right into your palm. As crucial part of a person's life today, it is connected to almost every activity. Here is a guide to help you choose the right Smartphone!
A smartphone's size and design varies as per each person's needs and how one uses his/her phone. The younger generations appear to be attracted to very thin, vibrant color phones that look eye catchy and attractive. For people who often stream videos, edit photos or videos, or download and view movies, a smartphone display ranging from 5.5 inch to 6 inches, full-HD or QHD resolution should be good. If you are a regular user and largely use the smartphone for checking emails, chatting and browsing social media apps, then anything from 5 inch to 5.5 inches with HD or full-HD display is perfect for you.
Screens such as the Samsung Galaxy line and iPhone X, tend to offer richer hues than handsets with LCD screens, as well as deeper black levels and wider viewing angles. If you want even more colours on your screen, look for a model that supports HDR. This technology also enables superior contrast in movies and TV shows. A phone's resolution, full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) is the bare minimum; most high-end phones these days offer quad-HD resolution, or 2560 x 1440 pixels. For durability, make sure your phone is water resistant, and classified as "IP67" which means the phone is able to survive 3 feet under water for 30 minutes.
We live in an era where the camera quality appears to be the most vital thing when buying a phone. A good picture and video is not just determined by your phone's resolution but with the camera quality to capture low light images, speed of image captured, front camera quality, both side flashes, auto focus and zoom pictures.
Since most of us use our phones as cameras we tend to want the perfect image and selfie. The iphone 8 plus and iphone X has dual cameras offering 2x optical zoom and portrait mood to blur the background. Also the iphone X introduced an exclusive TrueDepth camera on the front that enables portraits. For better camera quality specifications such as aperture, ISO levels, pixel size, auto focus, and more are essential.
Most phone users had the problem of their battery life having a short life span as they cannot survive a day without charging. It's important to note that increased usage and larger screens will use up more power than average. The battery usage differs from user to user depending on the way he/she uses the phone. If you are a heavy user and work on apps, play games, stream videos and more then go for a smart phone with at least 3500mAh battery or above. If you are an average or light user, a handset with 3000mAh battery would be good enough to run for a full day. Many factors including the screen size, processor and operating system, determine how long a phone lasts on a charge.
With Apple finally embracing wireless charging with iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X, a lot more attention is being paid to the feature. The idea is to place your device on a compatible wireless charging mat. Qi wireless chargers are the predominant standard, and they will work with the latest iPhones, Galaxy phones and other handsets that support wireless charging.
Phones with 16GB are a rip-off, even if they are budget models. Opt for 32GB if you can to store more games, photos and video. 64GB is the new standard for flagship phones. A microSD card slot is nice to have for expanding storage, but it's only available on certain Android phones only. A 32GB/64GB/128GB/ 256GB or more don't really come with exact mentioned space. Users who like to keep a large number of apps can go for 64GB or 128GB variants.
The latest phones such as the iphone 8 and X come with 256GB storage capacity. Mobiles with memory card slots have the option of expanded memory to store photos, videos and music. A microSD card can help expand your storage. Available on many Android phones, opting for as much internal storage as possible is highly recommended.
Fingerprint vs Facial
A fingerprint sensor makes it fairly easy to unlock your phone without having to enter a password or PIN. For instance, LG places its sensor in the middle on the back of its phones, while Samsung's sensor is awkwardly located next to the camera on the Galaxy S8 and the Note 8.
The iPhone's Touch ID lets you buy items in the App Store and real-world goods via Apple Pay, while fingerprint sensors in Samsung phones can be used with the Samsung Pay service or Android Pay.
- Can Russia Broker A Syrian Peace Deal?
- Whither Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman’s ‘Moderate’ Islam?
- Trump Pushes for American Authoritarianism – With Success
- SL to host World Health Day celebration
- M.H.M. Salman resigns Seat vacant in Parliament – Speaker
- Colombo School of Arts and Sciences ‘Food Fest’ to help differently-abled
- Marsoof Committee report on MMDA Compromise on minimum age of marriage Quazi permission mandatory
- South Eastern University Students pledge support for reconciliation
- Singapore firms bullish about SL amid news of FTA
- PCoI bonds scam probe and PRECIFAC Reports tabled in Parliament
- Amendments to IP and Trusts related laws in the offing
- Bond Commission Report:Recommendations should be implemented responsibly - COPA
- Supplementary allocation of Rs 7.9B for Dec 2017
- Central Bank Bond Issue PCoI report submitted to Parliament
- Due to incomplete Bench Gota’s FR case postponed to May
- Alleged manhandling of Principal Uva CM surrenders to Badulla Police Enlarged on bail
- Landslides threaten approx 6,000 settlements in Badulla
- Kataragama mayhem Sagala slams the IGP Orders him to ‘police’ the Police
- Contempt of Court case against Ramanayake AG to decide after viewing media briefing video
- Rejection of Nominations lists SC rejects 4 SLPP petitions
- Causing death by drunken driving Ex-HC Judge allowed bail
- Disappearance of 11 children Ninth suspect remanded
- Revocation of excise notice lifting ban on women Another FR petition to be filed by 20 females
- Five new envoys present credentials to President
- CBSL has failed to control finance companies’ crisis AKD
- Bangladesh rout Zimbabwe
- Third Test Wanderers record a boost for India
- 12th ICC Under 19 Cricket World Cup Pope steers Australia to semi final
- NOC sends Notices for AGM
- Injured Nadal retires on day of upsets
- World Cup boost for VAR after ‘positive’ tests
- ICC U-19 World Cup 2018 Boyagoda ridicules U-19 management with record breaking 191
- Premier League Cricket SSC, Marians advance to Super 8
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 cricket Muditha steers D.S. to success
- Root to miss T20 tri-series
- Kandy SC made to labour for victory
- Huge upsets at Australian Open
- Liverpool lose unbeaten 18-match run
- Pundits hail 'new Warne'
- Mudannayake ‘Sir’ no more
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Ranasinghe steers St. Anne’s to victory
- Failed attempt to justify Auditor General’s report regarding mismanagement of NOC Funds Maxwell accepts lapses in NOCSL Accounts
- Has Hathu caught a tiger by the tail
- Zimbabwe will look to improve
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Canada and Zimbabwe win
- Notes on the Sri Lanka - Singapore FTA
- Delegation representing 70 Japanese firms in SL
- “Be unique or face failure”, warns prominent academic
- ‘Be Apped with B-App from BOC’
- Softlogic Life awards Rs 1 M via ODEL promotion
- NDB’s cash management to provide quality services
- A gateway to integrate with advanced economies
- HNB relocates Nawam Mawatha Customer Centre
- Com Bank signs new Collective Agreements with CBEU
- DFCC Bank, National Eye Bank conduct eye donation campaign
- Toyota Lanka crowns ‘Stars’ at Staff Convention 2017
- Amadi designed SDB Calendar 2018
- OPPO to launch A83 for ‘Full-Screen Selfies’
- Sky-Fox deal not in public interest, says regulator
- Ravi Abeysuriya appointed to HNB Assurance PLC Board
- Kevin Spacey cost Netflix $39 million
- Rupee at its lowest
- Asian shares soar following end of US govt shutdown
- e-commerce sector to grow via S’pore FTA S’pore Minister
- Atlas acquisition to boost Hemas’ defensive cash flows: Fitch
- The March of Folly A disgraceful Attorney General
- Kenyan doctor goes to Court To legalize female genital mutilation
- Foreign missions’ failure to correct Sri Lanka’s tarnished image Tamil Diaspora vilifications
- Concretes & Abstracts Pitipana Committee and Public Debt
- Achieving true lasting reconciliation
- Beijing breathing easier?
- Denial then defiance Former sex slave in Argentina fights for justice
- Political Leadership is the root cause for laws delays
- Saudi-led coalition to give $1.5 b in Yemen aid, expand port capacity
- Sparks fly over Power and Energy Sector CEB, PUCSL and Ministry clash as electricity crisis looms
- Mahinda cannot destroy Maithri
- Govt has not lost a red cent from Bond transactions
- Participatory citizenship is important - Rosy
- I have a master plan - Salley
- All set for Free and Fair LG Polls – Mahinda Deshapriya
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Forecast your own destiny An astrological guide
- Kala Sarpa Yoga will test sustainability of government
- TIMING OF EVENTS –CHILD BIRTH
- Season for Marriage and Construction
- Cancer Causing Vastu Defects
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Indu & Sanwada We have so much in common
- The Writer’s Kitchenette Vietnamese Fusion Rice Wraps
- ‘Derana Champion’ Shines with OPPO
- A Possible Fallout as US freezes Funds for Palestinian refugees
- Jungle loving President Premadasa
- How Felix Dias became Bandaranaike
- IT IS MY CHOICE
- In your own skin be the barrel you want
- Dear Patriarchy,Dilshani Palugaswewa tells it like it is in this open letter