Quo Vadis To Jerusalem Taking Trump’s Road?
By Arman Navasardyan, Ph.D
On 6 December Trump came up with a sensational programme speech that became one of the most significant political events of the passing year. He stated that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel and the USA is moving its embassy there.
Trump's assurances that the decision will bring peace to the 70-year simmering Israeli-Palestinian confrontation and that Jerusalem will increasingly prosper as the democratic centre of three religions has caused a genuine storm throughout the region.
The UN Security Council special session, with just one vote for, voted against that decision. Foreign Ministers of the Arab League States (ALS) assembled in Cairo demanding Israel to liberate the lands occupied from Palestinians and Arabs in 1967. The resolution, however, was snippy. Arabs proved once more to be unable to act jointly under a force majeure conditions.
Besides, the situation has changed. Vast majority of Palestinians don't want to fight and suffice with simply crowded demonstrations, setting tyres and Trump's pictures on fire. As to the Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas's accusations addressed to Trump that 'he opened gates of hell' and other threats, they are nothing more than rhetoric aphorisms.
The thing is that the militant Palestinian group Hamas is losing its sponsors. Saudi Arabia, for instance, is not just unwilling to fight Israel, moreover, it is reconciling with the latter against Iran. Egypt is not pleased with the third intifada, either. However, the biggest loss for Hamas is abstraction by Iran. Tehran's cooling attitude towards the movement is explained by the latter's flirt with Iran's enemy Gulf countries and, namely, with Riyadh. The Sassanids never forget such things and never do they forgive.
As to Europe, it doesn't welcome military actions of Hamas, either. France and other countries did criticize Trump's decision, however, they are sick and tired of terror acts so that they will defend only Palestinians' soft power actions, and that's all.
On the background of these political developments, as to be expected, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan appears on the stage. He appears to play a diplomatic farce, behind which his pink ambitions are outlined: to become the leader of the Great Middle East. Or perhaps a new caliph and then the leader of the third world? Who knows?
Erdoğan is trying to fasten Russia to his plans. (When Erdoğan lavishes спасибо (thanks) in Putin's address and boasts his friendship, Yerevan of the 1960s come to one's mind when during street fights the parties invited people with 'certain authority' to make a psychological influence on the rivals and to win in case of a fight. That practice was called 'to get guys').
Making a speech in Istanbul, at the special summit meeting of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) formed at his initiative, Erdoğan puts Israel and the USA to pillroy for 'violating international law', pressing and terrorizing the Palestinian people. Then Erdoğan demands Jerusalem to be granted the status of Palestine's capital, absolutely 'forgetting' that it is actually a violation of international law and UN resolutions.
Two days later, moving further forward he states, "We have already declared East Jerusalem the capital of Palestine." "... Soon Turkey is going to open its embassy in Jerusalem." This was the last nail hammered by Ankara into the coffin of its relations with Israel.
And when during the Istanbul Endspiel Erdoğan snaps his fingers at Washington he reminds of the famous little character from Krylov's fable who 'raises a great rumpus' at the elephant. (I. A. Krylov, Elephant and Pug.)
Indeed, some really interesting scenes were played in Istanbul where Aliyev's diplomatic saltomortale stands out when, being one of Israel's closest partners, he appeared in the vanguard of those denouncing the latter. (I would give much just miraculously to be present at Netanyahu-Aliyev encounter and to see the latter's expression at that moment.)
... Coming back to Trump's statement, it should be noted that some experts assume his decision was the result of lack of the President's political experience, his impulsive and indiscriminate temperament which borders on adventurism, emotional outbursts and affection, and so on.
Not contesting such an analysis of the American President's moral features, it should be noted that the comments on his decision are simplistic and encompass neither deep political motives of the issue at stake, nor core strategic aspects of American diplomacy.
Donald Trump's decision is actually a well-balanced programme deliberated over and approved by Washington brain centres.
Let us try to view the issue from two positions.
After the presidential elections US President's position and rating began to fall catastrophically because of objective and subjective reasons threatening with an impeachment and making him take up urgent steps.
Thus, the main target of Trump's 'Jerusalem game' was aimed at pleasing the large Orthodox Jewish-American Republican electorate for whom seeing Jerusalem as Israel's capital is an 'idée fixe', an absolute religious category.
Trump had promised them to make that 'donation' and kept his promise which found a positive response in various layers of the American society. (Whenever the country's president keeps a pre-election promise is highly appreciated).
In this field Trump is also trying to keep his pre-electoral promise: 'America first'. It must be noted that by the end of the Syrian Odyssey Russia, headed by Putin, assumes a dominant role.
Meanwhile Washington is losing its position and influence in the Arab world. It is not fond of the behaviour of the alliance Russia-Turkey-Iran so much that the White House seems even not to notice certain serious disagreements within this alliance. It is most important under these conditions to push Moscow aside.
Having that in mind Trump visited Saudi Arabia in May and, to the music of 'al-arda (traditional male-only) sword dance', created a 'mini' or 'Arabic' NATO aimed against Iran.
That didn't work. Currently a new game is being played on the big Middle East chess board planned by the USA, with new pieces, new combinations. Trump's December statement was preceded by the royal coup according to the scenario of his son-in-law and advisor Kushner, developed at Israeli think-tanks and Mossad bunkers. Result? A new, incredible union is born that analysts couldn't even imagine in the pre-Trump period. It is the Saudi Arabia-Israel military-political alliance whose aim is to augment geopolitical position of Washington and Israel and to realize their plans, namely struggle against Iran in the Middle East. Time will show how successful it is.
About the author:
*Arman Navasardyan, PhD, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary
This article was published by Modern Diplomacy
- Iran’s response to security challenges in West Asia
- Gained dependence of Baltic States
- Religious buildings in Kazakhstan to be labelled 16+
- SEUSL ranked 7th
- Hakeem’s statement ridiculous - Bathiudeen
- LG polls HRCSL to monitor public officials and cops Violations to be dealt with sternly
- To free State institution heads held hostage 6 STF special units in Colombo
- Spanish assistance for ten flyovers
- Don’t forgive robbers of Public funds - Sirisena
- At St. Lucia’s Cathedral Kotahena Schubert’s G Major Mass on 18 Feb
- UNP backbenchers to meet Prez, PM and CIABOC To handover files of SLFP Ministers’ alleged fraud and corruption
- family members of ‘Kudu Suda’ arrested
- Thailand to assist SL agri sector
- Following Bonds scandal UNP internal crisis worsens - Sirikotha
- Alleged manhandling of principal:Premajayantha denounces Uva CM’s actions
- Markets in tumult over political uncertainty
- Susil explains why Prez wants to take over economy NEC’s success or lack may have played a role
- Muslim Matrimonial Law reforms Thalatha gets Marsoof Committee report
- EPRLF MP Sivashakthi Anandan alleges:15 TNA MPs bribed by PM’s Office
- Kataragama rioters cum looters given bail crowd control methods problematic –HRCSL Chair Reiterates call for the Police to come up with crowd control manual
- Long term conciliation in Korea
- Germany and Europe: A New Relationship?
- Key role to strengthen SLFP -Wijewickrama
- Blood donation at SEUSL
- Faizer Mustapha says Muslims must trust SLFP and President
- Mudannayake ‘Sir’ no more
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Ranasinghe steers St. Anne’s to victory
- Failed attempt to justify Auditor General’s report regarding mismanagement of NOC Funds Maxwell accepts lapses in NOCSL Accounts
- Has Hathu caught a tiger by the tail
- Zimbabwe will look to improve
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Canada and Zimbabwe win
- Kusal Perera asked to rest
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Lakshan steers DSS to sound position
- Chung dumps Djokovic
- LB Finance win Futsal tournament
- Federer and happy Halep romp into quarters
- New Zealand sink Pakistan
- Smith rejects ball-tampering suggestions after ODI loss
- Warner to lead Australia in T20 tri-series
- Real defy crisis talk as Barca extend lead
- Acceptance of new NSFs by NOC NOC Members expect further clarification from IOC
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Cambrians win by an innings
- 92nd National Boxing Championship Army retain men’s title MAS Unichela emerge women’s champs
- Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon Madumali finishes 11th with PB
- Man City back on track
- public debate misinformed
- World’s richest 1% gets 82% of global wealth: Oxfam
- Oxford Business Group, Ceylon Chamber to analyze SL trade strategy
- Sampath Samachara loans for rtd Govt servants
- Huawei’s nova2i updating to safe and accurate facial recognition unlock feature
- SLT Human Capital Solutions rewards employees’ children
- Scan Jumbo Peanuts concludes Scan Jumbo Bonanza
- World Economic Forum kicks off today Populism is waning, which is reason to party in Davos
- Cargills Bank pioneers IBM cognitive cyber security
- Practise the four roles of leadership
- Seylan Bank hosting ‘Tikiri New School Term Promotion’
- Amazon opens a supermarket with no checkouts
- Dengue awareness programme held in Piliyandala
- Meet the newest player in the global space industry
- Asian stocks falter as political developments unfold
- Sri Lanka Customs moots authorized dealer system Rs 31 M in counterfeit products destroyed
- 2017’s record exports nothing special - IC
- SL - Singapore FTA to be signed today
- Govt can’t even maintain a policy for two weeks
- VinaCapital, Ataraxia Capital launch $50M Sri Lanka Opportunity Fund
- The March of Folly A disgraceful Attorney General
- Kenyan doctor goes to Court To legalize female genital mutilation
- Foreign missions’ failure to correct Sri Lanka’s tarnished image Tamil Diaspora vilifications
- Concretes & Abstracts Pitipana Committee and Public Debt
- Achieving true lasting reconciliation
- Sparks fly over Power and Energy Sector CEB, PUCSL and Ministry clash as electricity crisis looms
- Vote for women this LG Polls
- Block law’s lacunae Not letting bond thieves go scot-free
- Europe prods homeless with spikes and cold showers
- UN warns of South Sudan’s ‘lost generation’ grinding conflict
- Govt has not lost a red cent from Bond transactions
- Participatory citizenship is important - Rosy
- I have a master plan - Salley
- All set for Free and Fair LG Polls – Mahinda Deshapriya
- If given power We’ll develop country in two years -Chandrasiri Mahagamage
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Forecast your own destiny An astrological guide
- Kala Sarpa Yoga will test sustainability of government
- TIMING OF EVENTS –CHILD BIRTH
- Season for Marriage and Construction
- Cancer Causing Vastu Defects
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Indu & Sanwada We have so much in common
- The Writer’s Kitchenette Vietnamese Fusion Rice Wraps
- ‘Derana Champion’ Shines with OPPO
- A Possible Fallout as US freezes Funds for Palestinian refugees
- Jungle loving President Premadasa
- How Felix Dias became Bandaranaike
- IT IS MY CHOICE
- In your own skin be the barrel you want
- Dear Patriarchy,Dilshani Palugaswewa tells it like it is in this open letter