Thillie Boy debunks canard on T(W)aste of Paradise Chair!
So, Thillie Boy, the former Chair of the Bee Oar Eye, also 1979 Maroon Gold and Maroon and later Ceylon Schools' willow-wielding skipper has well left out an out-swinger, following media reports claiming that he is tipped to be the Interim Chairman of the national carrier, the T(W)aste of Paradise!
He said that he had not been spoken to and was not even shortlisted; making him so furious he ranted to AREL that he would not speak to journos or newspapers again! But now he is happily ensconced as Chairman of the National Agency for Private-Public Partnerships, coming under the aegis of the Finance Ministry, which has also doubled up with Media!
MORE COMMISSIONS ON T(W)ASTE OF PARADISE!
So, Prez Maithri has said that he wants to appoint a Commission to probe the whopping losses of the T(W)aste of Paradise in the Yahapalanaya regime. But, oh pray me! What AREL fails to decipher is what happened to the recommendations of the Sand Anicut Report that the former Transparency International Boss Jay Cee Sand Anicut, the Prez Counsel and the one-man Commission - who hogged it all to probe the previous regime's performances with the VVIP Brother in Law and the now-dumped See Eee Oar, Car Pillar the Moon Sena's dual antics - submitted, for which Sand Anicut levied a cool 3 million smackers? So, this also seems to be like one going for his ablutions or a Bee-Circle-Gee: When one makes a lot of noise and drops the matter! Hoo! Hoo!
FLYING BEFORE WALKING!
Here, is a beautiful uncut gem on Car Pillar the Moon Sena! One Wednesday afternoon, AREL was walking near Town Hall with CFT colleague Ishara Village House, when Car Pillar also showed up for a jog! Then AREL said hello and asked him where he was employed now, to which he said that he was living and working with Uncle Sam! But the red herring and the rider was that AREL and Ishara saw him jogging there for a week, so AREL asked him whether he was flying back and forth from the US to Kolompura for a daily jog at the Town Hall! Car Pillar did not know whether to laugh or to cry!
FLIGHTS OF FANCY?!
So, Thillie Boy has spoken to Cee FT on Friday about having scheduled domestic flights to utilize the domestic airports, which, he said, would bolster tourism and also fully utilize the domestic airports. He stressed that the Government would operate the airports and where the investors would submit their proposals. He also said that this will not be like the ad-hoc charter flights. However, biz types are now asking what the feasibility of this venture would be; whether aircraft operators would run empty flights if there were no passengers with the scheduled flights being mandatory to fly! They ranted that these might well end up as flights of fancy!
GEE ELLE LIVID!
So, Il Professori Gee Elle was livid this week when he chaired the joint presser with Bund Oola Gun on the bond scam and fuming over the bond scam, with special emphasis on the fact that the currency notes, that ex-governing namesake father-in-law and Sun Kind leader signed, were both invalid. The beleaguered governor was a Singaporean citizen and also did not sign or rant the oath meant for public servants. Therefore, both his governorship and his currency notes were both invalid! He dubbed both as rogues!
Rich indeed, coming from il Professori, who, as cupboard angel of Just Tease in the satellite cupboard and also as Deputy Finance angel, drafted Money anti- laundering laws in 1996 and also chaired an international conference on the need to combat money laundering at the then-oasis in the city, the Colombo Hilton, now branded in the reverse: Hilton Colombo! He also presented the 2000 Budget by the Diyawanna abode! So, AREL could well appreciate his rancour and acrimony against the two he dubbed as rogues!
GEE ELLE'S FIERCE INDEPENDENCE!
So, Il Professori Gee Elle's fierce independence was widely known and acknowledged from the time of his halcyon days as Blue, Black and Blue Thora schoolboy. When he captained the 'school by the sea' debating team, he had as his team members veteran Diplomat and Head of the United Nations Treaty Office Dr. Palitha Kohona, who got the Treaty signed by US President Bill Clinton; Legal Advisor to the United Nations and the Caribbean Community (acronym-ed CARICOM), architect to the 17th Amendment to the Constitution and Paradise Isle's Envoy to the Austrian capital of Vienna , Dayantha Laksiri Mendis; and veteran Chartered and Chartered Management Accountant and public interest litigant Nihal Sri Amarasekere. There was this debate versus the Red, Gold and Blue Lions up in the Hills in the Lions' Hall, skippered by Just Teen Lab Roy, himself prolific prize winner and who also played on the Lions' wing under 1964 Fly Half and Lionsman More Harn Sahayam, the latter, Havies and Sri Lanka fly half! So, while the rest of the Blue, Black and Blue Thora debating team travelled up to Trinity by train and stayed in the Lions' boarding House, Gee Elle - the only child of founding Chairman of Air Ceylon Glennie Peiris and nephew of Bernard Peiris, widely acknowledged as the best Cabinet Secretary in independent Sri Lanka - came to Kandy in his father's Austin Princess, of which there were a mere two in paradise isle, stayed at the Queen's Hotel and came to Trinity on the morning of the debate!
Just a rant on the two rival skippers! Gee Elle, prolific Prize winner, in the years 1963, 1964 and 1965, was also the winner of the coveted Victoria Gold Medal for most outstanding student at the School by the Sea! On the Lions skipper: Just Teen Lab Roy, the Lions' winger in 1964, is today also a Professor! He is Professor of Medicine at the Royal Adelaide Hospital in Adelaide. He is also a Consultant Physician in Infectious Diseases and a Wellcome Research Fellow at the University of Queensland.
POLITICIAN: A SCOUNDREL OR NOT?!
Anyway, the topic of the for the Lions-Thora debate which the Lions hosted up in the Kandyan Hills, where River Lake and Mountain Meet, was whether the politician was a scoundrel! The Thoras said Aye while the Lions said Nigh! Anyway, AREL will let that pass and will refrain on commenting! Hee! Hee!
LONG JOHN'S GEMS AND GEMS ON LONG JOHN!
So, Long John the tourism angel has told the Cee Tee, our main paper, that tourists, and more so, foreign fair damsels should not travel alone and unaccompanied as it was not safe for them. This follows the recent case where a Swiss tourist damsel was raped in Little England! What is this Paradise Isle coming to, where a British tourist was also murdered some moons ago and another man murdered and his wife brutally raped in that now-infamous Tangalle murder case? This is indeed rich coming from Long John!
The man, who has no known experience of being an exponent at the ball, racket and net game, was playing 'mixed doubles' of a different sort with a married air hostess of Paradise at the Ramada (formerly Holiday Inn) where he travelled 'via the gra'! By the time the mixed doubles started, he had sent his limousine also away! But the game ended early with Long John unable to make his centre(s) of gravity bow down! So after 'riding the horse', he had to rush to a Horse Pee Tall in the New World to get a few injections to his centre of gravity and his pen is to make it bow! Hoo! Hoo!
RAJ THEA'S HAT TRICK!
So, Raj Thea, has been appointed as the Cargills Bank MD/CEO, which means that he becomes the first MD/CEO of three top-listed banks: Etch N Bee, NDB Bank for a short while, and now Cargills! But the irony of it is that the Ceylon Chamber, the oldest Chamber in Paradise Isle which is also older than the London Chamber of Commerce and the Tokyo Commerce, has slapped a Rs 75,000 levy each on the members of the biz delegation that went to Seoul with Prez MY 3. With all the arrangements being made by the Ministry to which nothing was Foreign, the biz types are now puzzled and querying whether the world's oldest chamber is practicing the world's oldest profession!
GOVERNOR NAILS CANADIAN CANARD!
The Bank that is Central, is in the news for reasons more than the Bond Scam! Now the social media websites have started another canard about Governor Dr. In Dra Jit Coom being a Canadian citizen and that his appointing authority, Prez MY 3, has not leant the lesson he failed to learn from the predecessor, the namesake Father-in-Law! Anyway, with the erudite Dr. Coom - also just-retired Director General of Economic Affairs of the prestigious Commonwealth Secretariat - just a call away, AREL demanded a clarification. He laughed it off and added for good measure that he was a dual citizen of Paradise Isle and also Old Blighty, debunking the Canadian canard! So, there!
Also, AREL has delightful reminiscences of the REMINISCENCES interview he gave AREL when he was Features Ed of the Iceland, which also included the interesting chats he had with Hanuman-land Premier Dr. Manmohan Singh while driving him to Heathrow for him to fly to New Delhi. Interestingly, the learned Indian Premier, who has not one but two Oxford University Pee Etch Dees, was employed in the World Bank before he became Financial Services Advisor to former Indian Prime Ministers!
'KURUMINIYA' IN THE
So, the Kuruminiya in the tea container was more than a storm in the tea cup, where a week full of anguish and despair prevailed. Finally, nephew No-Win pulled out and it was the uncle, the Tea Board Chief, the Petal Doctor who flew to the Soviet motherland. For the record, the relationship is that the Petal Doctor's pretty and charismatic wife, Janaki, is the youngest sis of No-Win's dad, the late Gamini Dissa!
It was a team of technocrats who negotiated between the two sides without any political elements in it. Another record is in that both No-Win and dad Gamini held the cupboard portfolio of Plantations, where dad was so in the Preme cupboard in 1989 prior to his forming the DUNF, with Lar Leet the Inclusive Mudali!
So, whether the Kuruminiya went out of the container as the asbestos came in was, and is, a matter of conjecture! However, all's well that ends well!
This is a rant about La Leet, Trade and Shipping and National Security angel in the JRJ Cupboard. Then Preme appointed him to Agriculture. Subsequently, Lakshman Jayakody the SLFP MP and Cupboard angel - then in Opposition in 1989 and across the aisle at Diyawanna abode - asked Lar Leet in the 1989 Parliament whether he was now in charge of the four-legged, like the cows and the bulls and pigs, after being in charge of men as Security Angel. Lar Leet, also one time President of the Oxford Union, known for his caustic wit, rebutted, "Even the four legged are grateful!"
- Long term conciliation in Korea
- Germany and Europe: A New Relationship?
- Key role to strengthen SLFP -Wijewickrama
- Blood donation at SEUSL
- Faizer Mustapha says Muslims must trust SLFP and President
- Construction of Kerawalapitiya LNG Power Plant Political pressure blocks tender award
- One cannot expect failed rebels to become effective administrators MR
- FTA with Singapore Professionals claim Govt misleading public
- Alleged manhandling of principal:CM QUITS EDUCATION PORTFOLIO, pending probe
- 60 arrested in Kataragama mayhem
- Call to roll back FBR rule for female workers Thousands of foreign jobs in limbo - ALFEA
- Alleged manhandling of principal: CM QUITS EDUCATION PORTFOLIO, pending probe
- Senior Journalist Jatila Wellaboda passes away
- Hunt on for missing Police weapon Team flees Jumbo charge during ganja raid
- ‘Gender-based violence on the rise at Pera Uni’
- New Ambassador-Designate of China arrives in SL
- Two SLPPers pledge support to President Sirisena
- Wants Armed Forces out of Jaffna
- Using a dog as live bait to capture Panmure leopard Environmentalists cry foul
- PRESIDENT TO TAKE OVER ECONOMY AFTER LG POLLS
- Only fraction of requested funds sent to NPC last year Lack of funds derails development plans – CM
- US Govt in shutdown
- PCoI report on Bonds issue AG holds back 103 pages
- Alarming Police statistics reveal 3 underage girls raped every day!
- LANKAN LAWS SUFFICIENT ARJUNA MAHENDRAN CAN BE ARRESTED – AG
- Acceptance of new NSFs by NOC NOC Members expect further clarification from IOC
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Cambrians win by an innings
- 92nd National Boxing Championship Army retain men’s title MAS Unichela emerge women’s champs
- Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon Madumali finishes 11th with PB
- Man City back on track
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Div.II Cricket St. John’s advance to semis
- Sainz survives dunes to win Dakar Rally
- Nadal survives test, Wozniacki turns on style
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Plate Championship begins today
- Premier League Club Cricket – Tier ‘B’ Panadura SC crush Galle CC
- Buttler serves up series success for England
- Police force a draw
- 58th Senior Nationals Hockey tournament Defence Services clinch titles
- All rounder Thisara saves SL blushes
- Premier League Club Cricket-Tier A NCC win by 10 wickets
- NOCSL Members came out together against current regime Rohan Fernando announces candidacy for presidency
- North and South Korea to compete under one flag
- Financial irregularities of NOCSL exposed in Audit
- HNB Sponsors Millennium Trophy Golf Tournament Dr. Scarth and Niloo Jayathilake clinch top awards
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Ireland beat Afghanistan
- China, Sri Lanka and the ‘Politics of Investment’ What are the sources and impact of China’s economic leverage?
- Swaps boost liquidity by over 1,000%
- Rocell among Top 20 Sri Lankan Brands
- Bupa Global Insurance to further develop SL operations
- What happens at the World Economic Forum?
- Investigate losses in the CSE, T-Bond issues from 2008-14: Presidential Commission
- IMF has choked Tunisia, and now the people are protesting
- Will we ever be able to trust driverless cars?
- Gateway Graduate School and Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University sign MOU Innovative Aerospace dual enrolment programme outside US
- World markets hammer higher on rising metal prices
- New research puts SL at 89th in ‘Doing Business’ index
- Browns to set up $5M pharma plant
- Norochcholai workers’ lives in danger
- Guidelines allegedly violated
- SriLankan posts highest-ever monthly revenue in December
- Shares gain for the first time in eight days
- India to become fastest growing large economy in 2018: Report
- PUCSL to sue CEB
- Emergency power costs SL Rs 40B
- Tourism earnings up 2.3% Jan-Nov
- Foreign missions’ failure to correct Sri Lanka’s tarnished image Tamil Diaspora vilifications
- Concretes & Abstracts Pitipana Committee and Public Debt
- Achieving true lasting reconciliation
- Dying art of sending postcards
- The Pursuit of Peace Starting at SCOPP
- Vote for women this LG Polls
- Block law’s lacunae Not letting bond thieves go scot-free
- Europe prods homeless with spikes and cold showers
- UN warns of South Sudan’s ‘lost generation’ grinding conflict
- Hazardous multi-plug on the way out
- Participatory citizenship is important - Rosy
- I have a master plan - Salley
- All set for Free and Fair LG Polls – Mahinda Deshapriya
- If given power We’ll develop country in two years -Chandrasiri Mahagamage
- Upcoming LG Elections a referendum
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Forecast your own destiny An astrological guide
- Kala Sarpa Yoga will test sustainability of government
- TIMING OF EVENTS –CHILD BIRTH
- Season for Marriage and Construction
- Cancer Causing Vastu Defects
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Indu & Sanwada We have so much in common
- The Writer’s Kitchenette Vietnamese Fusion Rice Wraps
- ‘Derana Champion’ Shines with OPPO
- A Possible Fallout as US freezes Funds for Palestinian refugees
- Jungle loving President Premadasa
- How Felix Dias became Bandaranaike
- IT IS MY CHOICE
- In your own skin be the barrel you want
- Dear Patriarchy,Dilshani Palugaswewa tells it like it is in this open letter