Fish out of water
By Priyangwada Perera
"Malli, guess what..." as soon as they walked out of the school gate, Suneth asked Dunil. "What? A tiger barged into your class?" his witty brother was not in a good mood: still angry about the load of homework he was given in the last period of the day. "I did not think you were this foolish. A tiger?" Suneth was clearly annoyed. Realizing that his brother is angry, Dunil quickly changed his tone. "What happened in class?" "A new boy turned up in class," answered Suneth.
Dunil's mouth opened in a big round 'O'. "What, who starts in a new school like that? It must be terrible to be the only new boy in class and that too at a ripe old age like yours!" Dunil's words annoyed Suneth. "What do you mean by a 'ripe old age', you brat? Just because you are two years younger to me, you think you are a tender nut?", Suneth was losing his temper.
"Okay, okay... just tell me what happened," Dunil was quick to pacify his brother. Suneth started again. "Yes, so a new boy turned up. He has come to Sri Lanka from Italy. His parents have been living there and he was born in Italy." Dunil's eyes went wild. "Wow, he was born in Italy? What is his name?" Suneth answered, "You think it is wonderful, right? His name is Diego. Like the old Argentine football star Diego Maradona." Dunil could not get over this magic of a foreign-born boy in his brother's class. This was too fascinating. "You are so lucky. I wish he came to our grade instead of yours. Does he look foreign? You said his name is Diego, can he play football?" Dunil wanted to know everything.
After thinking for a little while, Suneth answered. "I think he can play Football very well. In fact that is one of the first questions we asked him. He was pretty humble and said he can play a little. But then I think Diego was devastated to hear that our school has only Basketball, Cricket and Hockey when it comes to team games.
Diego couldn't believe his ears. He went on and on asking us whether we are sure there is no football in our school. Most people were annoyed to hear him ask that. But I felt bad for the boy. I am pretty certain he wanted to join the team. Now, he cannot even do that."
"So how is he taking the new experience?" Dunil's interest knew no boundaries. "Oh, like a fish out of water!" came the answer from Suneth. "What? Like a fish out of water?" Dunil giggled so hard. "Like a fish out of water? What do you mean, ayya. How can a fish be out of water?"
Suneth looked at his brother with much calmness and asked, "Can you tell me what happens to a fish if it is out of water?" "Of course, I can. If a fish is out of water it cannot breathe. The fish will tremble and gasp for air. But since it can't breathe unless it is in water, it will die."
Suneth was impressed with his brother's description. "Wow, very well explained, Dunil. Now apply that to Diego's situation. He has studied in Italian. His English is not very good. At least as of now he is not too comfortable with the language.
He has no friends, nobody to talk to and on top of it, he cannot even play his favourite game. So, Diego is like a fish who has fallen out of his tank of water," said Suneth. "Isn't that very sad? I feel so bad for him. I hope he at least has a satalite tv connection and gets to watch his favourite game, ayya.
Why don't you ask Amma and invite him here one day? Maybe we can get Thaththa to buy us a football and try and play with him," Dunil was feeling sad for the new boy. Suneth thought about it and said, "Yes, that we can do. I am sure Diego has a very good soccer ball and he can bring it. But I am really terrible at kicking the ball. I am more of a Basketball guy, you know?" Dunil laughed out loud. "Even if we look silly trying to play soccer, maybe we can help the fish out of water, to get back into the tank."
- Long term conciliation in Korea
- Germany and Europe: A New Relationship?
- Key role to strengthen SLFP -Wijewickrama
- Blood donation at SEUSL
- Faizer Mustapha says Muslims must trust SLFP and President
- Construction of Kerawalapitiya LNG Power Plant Political pressure blocks tender award
- One cannot expect failed rebels to become effective administrators MR
- FTA with Singapore Professionals claim Govt misleading public
- Alleged manhandling of principal:CM QUITS EDUCATION PORTFOLIO, pending probe
- 60 arrested in Kataragama mayhem
- Call to roll back FBR rule for female workers Thousands of foreign jobs in limbo - ALFEA
- Alleged manhandling of principal: CM QUITS EDUCATION PORTFOLIO, pending probe
- Senior Journalist Jatila Wellaboda passes away
- Hunt on for missing Police weapon Team flees Jumbo charge during ganja raid
- ‘Gender-based violence on the rise at Pera Uni’
- New Ambassador-Designate of China arrives in SL
- Two SLPPers pledge support to President Sirisena
- Wants Armed Forces out of Jaffna
- Using a dog as live bait to capture Panmure leopard Environmentalists cry foul
- PRESIDENT TO TAKE OVER ECONOMY AFTER LG POLLS
- Only fraction of requested funds sent to NPC last year Lack of funds derails development plans – CM
- US Govt in shutdown
- PCoI report on Bonds issue AG holds back 103 pages
- Alarming Police statistics reveal 3 underage girls raped every day!
- LANKAN LAWS SUFFICIENT ARJUNA MAHENDRAN CAN BE ARRESTED – AG
- Acceptance of new NSFs by NOC NOC Members expect further clarification from IOC
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Cambrians win by an innings
- 92nd National Boxing Championship Army retain men’s title MAS Unichela emerge women’s champs
- Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon Madumali finishes 11th with PB
- Man City back on track
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Div.II Cricket St. John’s advance to semis
- Sainz survives dunes to win Dakar Rally
- Nadal survives test, Wozniacki turns on style
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Plate Championship begins today
- Premier League Club Cricket – Tier ‘B’ Panadura SC crush Galle CC
- Buttler serves up series success for England
- Police force a draw
- 58th Senior Nationals Hockey tournament Defence Services clinch titles
- All rounder Thisara saves SL blushes
- Premier League Club Cricket-Tier A NCC win by 10 wickets
- NOCSL Members came out together against current regime Rohan Fernando announces candidacy for presidency
- North and South Korea to compete under one flag
- Financial irregularities of NOCSL exposed in Audit
- HNB Sponsors Millennium Trophy Golf Tournament Dr. Scarth and Niloo Jayathilake clinch top awards
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Ireland beat Afghanistan
- China, Sri Lanka and the ‘Politics of Investment’ What are the sources and impact of China’s economic leverage?
- Swaps boost liquidity by over 1,000%
- Rocell among Top 20 Sri Lankan Brands
- Bupa Global Insurance to further develop SL operations
- What happens at the World Economic Forum?
- Investigate losses in the CSE, T-Bond issues from 2008-14: Presidential Commission
- IMF has choked Tunisia, and now the people are protesting
- Will we ever be able to trust driverless cars?
- Gateway Graduate School and Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University sign MOU Innovative Aerospace dual enrolment programme outside US
- World markets hammer higher on rising metal prices
- New research puts SL at 89th in ‘Doing Business’ index
- Browns to set up $5M pharma plant
- Norochcholai workers’ lives in danger
- Guidelines allegedly violated
- SriLankan posts highest-ever monthly revenue in December
- Shares gain for the first time in eight days
- India to become fastest growing large economy in 2018: Report
- PUCSL to sue CEB
- Emergency power costs SL Rs 40B
- Tourism earnings up 2.3% Jan-Nov
- Foreign missions’ failure to correct Sri Lanka’s tarnished image Tamil Diaspora vilifications
- Concretes & Abstracts Pitipana Committee and Public Debt
- Achieving true lasting reconciliation
- Dying art of sending postcards
- The Pursuit of Peace Starting at SCOPP
- Vote for women this LG Polls
- Block law’s lacunae Not letting bond thieves go scot-free
- Europe prods homeless with spikes and cold showers
- UN warns of South Sudan’s ‘lost generation’ grinding conflict
- Hazardous multi-plug on the way out
- Participatory citizenship is important - Rosy
- I have a master plan - Salley
- All set for Free and Fair LG Polls – Mahinda Deshapriya
- If given power We’ll develop country in two years -Chandrasiri Mahagamage
- Upcoming LG Elections a referendum
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Forecast your own destiny An astrological guide
- Kala Sarpa Yoga will test sustainability of government
- TIMING OF EVENTS –CHILD BIRTH
- Season for Marriage and Construction
- Cancer Causing Vastu Defects
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Indu & Sanwada We have so much in common
- The Writer’s Kitchenette Vietnamese Fusion Rice Wraps
- ‘Derana Champion’ Shines with OPPO
- A Possible Fallout as US freezes Funds for Palestinian refugees
- Jungle loving President Premadasa
- How Felix Dias became Bandaranaike
- IT IS MY CHOICE
- In your own skin be the barrel you want
- Dear Patriarchy,Dilshani Palugaswewa tells it like it is in this open letter