Suranga Lakmal vice captain of Test team
Paceman Suranga Lakmal who was the leading bowler in the SL team during recent past has been appointed as Test Vice Captain when SLC named the 16-man Test squad for the two matches to be played in Bangladesh.
The 30-year-old right arm paceman who made his debut in 2010 had played 42 Tests for Sri Lanka claiming 96 wickets. It was his recent success which was highlighted in the Sri Lanka Test series win in Pakistan as well as drawing the first Test in India.
In Sri Lanka's only win during the recent Indian series Lakmal claimed four for just 13 in 10 overs when SL bowled out India for 112 in the 1st ODI. Even during the first Test against India at Kolkata Lakmal's first spell had India rattled as they were left four down for 30 runs in the 18th over.
Even during Sri Lanka's disastrous tour in South Africa, one of the positives was Lakmal's bowling who claimed six wickets in both the second and third matches with some good spells with the new ball.
Meanwhile, proven all rounder Asela Gunaratne has been dropped from the Test team. Gunaratne who got injured during first session of the first Test against India at Galle made a return for ODIs and T20s against India during SL tour in India and also was named to the Tri series against Bangladesh but has been left out from the Test squad.
It was Gunaratne's heroic effort which saved Sri Lanka from blushes of losing a Test against Bangladesh when his unbeaten 80 helped Sri Lanka chase down 388 to become man of the match.
Meanwhile, opener Kaushal Silva who did not have much success in India has been left out while Danushka Gunathilaka, Kusal Mendis and Lahiru Kumara make a return to the Test team.
Mendis who was rested for the India series has been playing well regaining his form during the domestic season but on the contrary Danushka Gunathilaka had done nothing to justify his selection in the Test team.
Gunathilaka who didn't take part in the domestic Premier League scored 1, 16 and 13 in the three ODIs he played against India and only 3 runs in the only T20 he played.
Off spinner Akila Dhananjaya who impressed in T20s and ODIs was named in the Test squad and if he plays it will be his debut.
The first Test match will be played from 31 January to 4 February at the ZACS, Chittagong, while the 2nd Test match will be played from 8 to 12 February, 2018 at SBNCS, Dhaka.
Squad: Dinesh Chandimal (Captain), Dimuth Karunaratne, Angelo Mathews, Danushka Gunathilaka, Kusal Mendis, Dhananjaya de Silva, Niroshan Dickwella, Roshen Silva, Rangana Herath, Suranga Lakmal (Vice Captain), Dilruwan Perera, Dushmantha Chameera, Lakshan Sandakan, Akila Dananjaya, Lahiru Gamage, Lahiru Kumara
- Can Russia Broker A Syrian Peace Deal?
- Whither Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman’s ‘Moderate’ Islam?
- Trump Pushes for American Authoritarianism – With Success
- SL to host World Health Day celebration
- M.H.M. Salman resigns Seat vacant in Parliament – Speaker
- Colombo School of Arts and Sciences ‘Food Fest’ to help differently-abled
- Marsoof Committee report on MMDA Compromise on minimum age of marriage Quazi permission mandatory
- South Eastern University Students pledge support for reconciliation
- Singapore firms bullish about SL amid news of FTA
- PCoI bonds scam probe and PRECIFAC Reports tabled in Parliament
- Amendments to IP and Trusts related laws in the offing
- Bond Commission Report:Recommendations should be implemented responsibly - COPA
- Supplementary allocation of Rs 7.9B for Dec 2017
- Central Bank Bond Issue PCoI report submitted to Parliament
- Due to incomplete Bench Gota’s FR case postponed to May
- Alleged manhandling of Principal Uva CM surrenders to Badulla Police Enlarged on bail
- Landslides threaten approx 6,000 settlements in Badulla
- Kataragama mayhem Sagala slams the IGP Orders him to ‘police’ the Police
- Contempt of Court case against Ramanayake AG to decide after viewing media briefing video
- Rejection of Nominations lists SC rejects 4 SLPP petitions
- Causing death by drunken driving Ex-HC Judge allowed bail
- Disappearance of 11 children Ninth suspect remanded
- Revocation of excise notice lifting ban on women Another FR petition to be filed by 20 females
- Five new envoys present credentials to President
- CBSL has failed to control finance companies’ crisis AKD
- Bangladesh rout Zimbabwe
- Third Test Wanderers record a boost for India
- 12th ICC Under 19 Cricket World Cup Pope steers Australia to semi final
- NOC sends Notices for AGM
- Injured Nadal retires on day of upsets
- World Cup boost for VAR after ‘positive’ tests
- ICC U-19 World Cup 2018 Boyagoda ridicules U-19 management with record breaking 191
- Premier League Cricket SSC, Marians advance to Super 8
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 cricket Muditha steers D.S. to success
- Root to miss T20 tri-series
- Kandy SC made to labour for victory
- Huge upsets at Australian Open
- Liverpool lose unbeaten 18-match run
- Pundits hail 'new Warne'
- Mudannayake ‘Sir’ no more
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Ranasinghe steers St. Anne’s to victory
- Failed attempt to justify Auditor General’s report regarding mismanagement of NOC Funds Maxwell accepts lapses in NOCSL Accounts
- Has Hathu caught a tiger by the tail
- Zimbabwe will look to improve
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Canada and Zimbabwe win
- Delegation representing 70 Japanese firms in SL
- “Be unique or face failure”, warns prominent academic
- ‘Be Apped with B-App from BOC’
- Softlogic Life awards Rs 1 M via ODEL promotion
- NDB’s cash management to provide quality services
- A gateway to integrate with advanced economies
- HNB relocates Nawam Mawatha Customer Centre
- DFCC Bank, National Eye Bank conduct eye donation campaign
- Toyota Lanka crowns ‘Stars’ at Staff Convention 2017
- Amadi designed SDB Calendar 2018
- OPPO to launch A83 for ‘Full-Screen Selfies’
- Sky-Fox deal not in public interest, says regulator
- Ravi Abeysuriya appointed to HNB Assurance PLC Board
- Kevin Spacey cost Netflix $39 million
- Rupee at its lowest
- Asian shares soar following end of US govt shutdown
- e-commerce sector to grow via S’pore FTA S’pore Minister
- Atlas acquisition to boost Hemas’ defensive cash flows: Fitch
- Construction wastage – more than 40%
- SL cannot afford to ‘miss the bus’ in 2018: EIU
- The March of Folly A disgraceful Attorney General
- Kenyan doctor goes to Court To legalize female genital mutilation
- Foreign missions’ failure to correct Sri Lanka’s tarnished image Tamil Diaspora vilifications
- Concretes & Abstracts Pitipana Committee and Public Debt
- Achieving true lasting reconciliation
- Beijing breathing easier?
- Denial then defiance Former sex slave in Argentina fights for justice
- Political Leadership is the root cause for laws delays
- Saudi-led coalition to give $1.5 b in Yemen aid, expand port capacity
- Sparks fly over Power and Energy Sector CEB, PUCSL and Ministry clash as electricity crisis looms
- Mahinda cannot destroy Maithri
- Govt has not lost a red cent from Bond transactions
- Participatory citizenship is important - Rosy
- I have a master plan - Salley
- All set for Free and Fair LG Polls – Mahinda Deshapriya
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Forecast your own destiny An astrological guide
- Kala Sarpa Yoga will test sustainability of government
- TIMING OF EVENTS –CHILD BIRTH
- Season for Marriage and Construction
- Cancer Causing Vastu Defects
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Indu & Sanwada We have so much in common
- The Writer’s Kitchenette Vietnamese Fusion Rice Wraps
- ‘Derana Champion’ Shines with OPPO
- A Possible Fallout as US freezes Funds for Palestinian refugees
- Jungle loving President Premadasa
- How Felix Dias became Bandaranaike
- IT IS MY CHOICE
- In your own skin be the barrel you want
- Dear Patriarchy,Dilshani Palugaswewa tells it like it is in this open letter