Tamil nationalist songs in Jaffna Polls campaign CaFFE complains to Elections Commission
By Sulochana Ramiah Mohan
Campaign for Free and Fair Eelections (CaFFE) has complained to the Commissioner of Elections that several political parties in the Northern Province are playing songs echoing Tamil nationalism that were used during the LTTE period, in violation of election laws.
On Friday United People's Freedom Front (UPFA) politician Angajan Ramanathan had aired such songs while opening his party office at the Jaffna Municipal Council, Executive Director/CaFFE Rajith Keerthi Tennakoon told Ceylon Today.
He added that the photograph of President Maithripala Sirisena was prominently displayed while the music, echoing Tamil
aspirations was being aired.
Although such a tactic may not have a major impact on the elections however, it's a violation of the rules where race and ethnic based campaigns are prohibited, he further said. He added that similar activity was taking place in areas of Kilinochchi and Mullaitivu by several parties including the main Opposition Tamil National
He noted some of the TNA candidates 'silently' carried out campaigns airing such songs projecting Tamil nationalism.
CaFFE urged the political parties to refrain from such activities in order to hold a fair election that are not based on nationalist aspirations.
Tennakoon who met with several party leaders in Jaffna on Friday expressed his displeasure at the candidates who are using the LTTE as a tool to win elections.
"We have observed and monitored such malpractices in the Northern Province and we urge you to respect the law of the country," Tennakoon told the leaders.
Meanwhile, the Eelam People's Revolutionary Liberation Front (EPRLF) leader Suresh Premachandran told Ceylon Today during the last General Elections the ex LTTE cadres' Party known as 'Rehabilitated United Liberation Tigers Front' also aired songs of the LTTE in the presence of the Army.
"This is not a new thing to use such music," noted Premachandran.
Elections Commissioner Mahinda Deshapriya was not available for a comment.
- Long term conciliation in Korea
- Germany and Europe: A New Relationship?
- Key role to strengthen SLFP -Wijewickrama
- Blood donation at SEUSL
- Faizer Mustapha says Muslims must trust SLFP and President
- Construction of Kerawalapitiya LNG Power Plant Political pressure blocks tender award
- One cannot expect failed rebels to become effective administrators MR
- FTA with Singapore Professionals claim Govt misleading public
- Alleged manhandling of principal:CM QUITS EDUCATION PORTFOLIO, pending probe
- 60 arrested in Kataragama mayhem
- Call to roll back FBR rule for female workers Thousands of foreign jobs in limbo - ALFEA
- Alleged manhandling of principal: CM QUITS EDUCATION PORTFOLIO, pending probe
- Senior Journalist Jatila Wellaboda passes away
- Hunt on for missing Police weapon Team flees Jumbo charge during ganja raid
- ‘Gender-based violence on the rise at Pera Uni’
- New Ambassador-Designate of China arrives in SL
- Two SLPPers pledge support to President Sirisena
- Wants Armed Forces out of Jaffna
- Using a dog as live bait to capture Panmure leopard Environmentalists cry foul
- PRESIDENT TO TAKE OVER ECONOMY AFTER LG POLLS
- Only fraction of requested funds sent to NPC last year Lack of funds derails development plans – CM
- US Govt in shutdown
- PCoI report on Bonds issue AG holds back 103 pages
- Alarming Police statistics reveal 3 underage girls raped every day!
- LANKAN LAWS SUFFICIENT ARJUNA MAHENDRAN CAN BE ARRESTED – AG
- Acceptance of new NSFs by NOC NOC Members expect further clarification from IOC
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Cambrians win by an innings
- 92nd National Boxing Championship Army retain men’s title MAS Unichela emerge women’s champs
- Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon Madumali finishes 11th with PB
- Man City back on track
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Div.II Cricket St. John’s advance to semis
- Sainz survives dunes to win Dakar Rally
- Nadal survives test, Wozniacki turns on style
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Plate Championship begins today
- Premier League Club Cricket – Tier ‘B’ Panadura SC crush Galle CC
- Buttler serves up series success for England
- Police force a draw
- 58th Senior Nationals Hockey tournament Defence Services clinch titles
- All rounder Thisara saves SL blushes
- Premier League Club Cricket-Tier A NCC win by 10 wickets
- NOCSL Members came out together against current regime Rohan Fernando announces candidacy for presidency
- North and South Korea to compete under one flag
- Financial irregularities of NOCSL exposed in Audit
- HNB Sponsors Millennium Trophy Golf Tournament Dr. Scarth and Niloo Jayathilake clinch top awards
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Ireland beat Afghanistan
- China, Sri Lanka and the ‘Politics of Investment’ What are the sources and impact of China’s economic leverage?
- Swaps boost liquidity by over 1,000%
- Rocell among Top 20 Sri Lankan Brands
- Bupa Global Insurance to further develop SL operations
- What happens at the World Economic Forum?
- Investigate losses in the CSE, T-Bond issues from 2008-14: Presidential Commission
- IMF has choked Tunisia, and now the people are protesting
- Will we ever be able to trust driverless cars?
- Gateway Graduate School and Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University sign MOU Innovative Aerospace dual enrolment programme outside US
- World markets hammer higher on rising metal prices
- New research puts SL at 89th in ‘Doing Business’ index
- Browns to set up $5M pharma plant
- Norochcholai workers’ lives in danger
- Guidelines allegedly violated
- SriLankan posts highest-ever monthly revenue in December
- Shares gain for the first time in eight days
- India to become fastest growing large economy in 2018: Report
- PUCSL to sue CEB
- Emergency power costs SL Rs 40B
- Tourism earnings up 2.3% Jan-Nov
- Foreign missions’ failure to correct Sri Lanka’s tarnished image Tamil Diaspora vilifications
- Concretes & Abstracts Pitipana Committee and Public Debt
- Achieving true lasting reconciliation
- Dying art of sending postcards
- The Pursuit of Peace Starting at SCOPP
- Vote for women this LG Polls
- Block law’s lacunae Not letting bond thieves go scot-free
- Europe prods homeless with spikes and cold showers
- UN warns of South Sudan’s ‘lost generation’ grinding conflict
- Hazardous multi-plug on the way out
- Participatory citizenship is important - Rosy
- I have a master plan - Salley
- All set for Free and Fair LG Polls – Mahinda Deshapriya
- If given power We’ll develop country in two years -Chandrasiri Mahagamage
- Upcoming LG Elections a referendum
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Forecast your own destiny An astrological guide
- Kala Sarpa Yoga will test sustainability of government
- TIMING OF EVENTS –CHILD BIRTH
- Season for Marriage and Construction
- Cancer Causing Vastu Defects
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Indu & Sanwada We have so much in common
- The Writer’s Kitchenette Vietnamese Fusion Rice Wraps
- ‘Derana Champion’ Shines with OPPO
- A Possible Fallout as US freezes Funds for Palestinian refugees
- Jungle loving President Premadasa
- How Felix Dias became Bandaranaike
- IT IS MY CHOICE
- In your own skin be the barrel you want
- Dear Patriarchy,Dilshani Palugaswewa tells it like it is in this open letter