New UAE work visa rule
By Leon Berenger
Sri Lankans leaving the country for work in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) will now be required to obtain a Police Clearance Certificate prior to departure, a move the industry fears could dwarf the recruitment process in that sector.
The new regulation states that all foreign workers entering the country should obtain......a 'certificate of good conduct' from their home country prior to entering the UAE for work.
However, this is not applicable for tourist and visit visa holders, the officials said.
The announcement was made on Monday and the new rule will come into effect from 4 February.
The certificate should be issued by the country of origin of the person, or the country where the individual has been living for the past five years and it should be ratified by the UAE Embassy and later with the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation.
The certificate will only be applicable for the worker concerned and not his/her dependents.
The move is aimed at creating a more 'safer and sustainable society' in the UAE, according to the officials. President of the Association of Licensed Foreign Employment Agencies (ALFEA) A.C.A. Hassan said the move is bound to have an adverse effect on the recruitment of workers in that sector.
"It is a known thing that obtaining a Police clearance certificate is a long drawn process and could affect the employment chances of many locals."
An UAE visa is valued for only 45 days after it is issued and sometimes Police clearance could take several weeks if not months.
"It is most likely that the UAE Government will bring in some amendments to this new rule once the repercussions starts to set in," Hassan added. Upul Deshapriya, Working Director, Sri Lanka Bureau of Foreign Employment (SLBFE) disputed the claim by ALFEA saying that all that is needed is a clearance letter from the area Police which could be obtained in a few days.
The Police clearance letter for 'Permanent Residency' (PR) overseas takes time since there is finger printing involved which is carried out at Police Head Quarters and other branches, he explained.
"The industry should not worry about these matters," he added.
- Can Russia Broker A Syrian Peace Deal?
- Whither Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman’s ‘Moderate’ Islam?
- Trump Pushes for American Authoritarianism – With Success
- SL to host World Health Day celebration
- M.H.M. Salman resigns Seat vacant in Parliament – Speaker
- Colombo School of Arts and Sciences ‘Food Fest’ to help differently-abled
- Marsoof Committee report on MMDA Compromise on minimum age of marriage Quazi permission mandatory
- South Eastern University Students pledge support for reconciliation
- Singapore firms bullish about SL amid news of FTA
- PCoI bonds scam probe and PRECIFAC Reports tabled in Parliament
- Amendments to IP and Trusts related laws in the offing
- Bond Commission Report:Recommendations should be implemented responsibly - COPA
- Supplementary allocation of Rs 7.9B for Dec 2017
- Central Bank Bond Issue PCoI report submitted to Parliament
- Due to incomplete Bench Gota’s FR case postponed to May
- Alleged manhandling of Principal Uva CM surrenders to Badulla Police Enlarged on bail
- Landslides threaten approx 6,000 settlements in Badulla
- Kataragama mayhem Sagala slams the IGP Orders him to ‘police’ the Police
- Contempt of Court case against Ramanayake AG to decide after viewing media briefing video
- Rejection of Nominations lists SC rejects 4 SLPP petitions
- Causing death by drunken driving Ex-HC Judge allowed bail
- Disappearance of 11 children Ninth suspect remanded
- Revocation of excise notice lifting ban on women Another FR petition to be filed by 20 females
- Five new envoys present credentials to President
- CBSL has failed to control finance companies’ crisis AKD
- Bangladesh rout Zimbabwe
- Third Test Wanderers record a boost for India
- 12th ICC Under 19 Cricket World Cup Pope steers Australia to semi final
- NOC sends Notices for AGM
- Injured Nadal retires on day of upsets
- World Cup boost for VAR after ‘positive’ tests
- ICC U-19 World Cup 2018 Boyagoda ridicules U-19 management with record breaking 191
- Premier League Cricket SSC, Marians advance to Super 8
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 cricket Muditha steers D.S. to success
- Root to miss T20 tri-series
- Kandy SC made to labour for victory
- Huge upsets at Australian Open
- Liverpool lose unbeaten 18-match run
- Pundits hail 'new Warne'
- Mudannayake ‘Sir’ no more
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Ranasinghe steers St. Anne’s to victory
- Failed attempt to justify Auditor General’s report regarding mismanagement of NOC Funds Maxwell accepts lapses in NOCSL Accounts
- Has Hathu caught a tiger by the tail
- Zimbabwe will look to improve
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Canada and Zimbabwe win
- Notes on the Sri Lanka - Singapore FTA
- Delegation representing 70 Japanese firms in SL
- “Be unique or face failure”, warns prominent academic
- ‘Be Apped with B-App from BOC’
- Softlogic Life awards Rs 1 M via ODEL promotion
- NDB’s cash management to provide quality services
- A gateway to integrate with advanced economies
- HNB relocates Nawam Mawatha Customer Centre
- Com Bank signs new Collective Agreements with CBEU
- DFCC Bank, National Eye Bank conduct eye donation campaign
- Toyota Lanka crowns ‘Stars’ at Staff Convention 2017
- Amadi designed SDB Calendar 2018
- OPPO to launch A83 for ‘Full-Screen Selfies’
- Sky-Fox deal not in public interest, says regulator
- Ravi Abeysuriya appointed to HNB Assurance PLC Board
- Kevin Spacey cost Netflix $39 million
- Rupee at its lowest
- Asian shares soar following end of US govt shutdown
- e-commerce sector to grow via S’pore FTA S’pore Minister
- Atlas acquisition to boost Hemas’ defensive cash flows: Fitch
- The March of Folly A disgraceful Attorney General
- Kenyan doctor goes to Court To legalize female genital mutilation
- Foreign missions’ failure to correct Sri Lanka’s tarnished image Tamil Diaspora vilifications
- Concretes & Abstracts Pitipana Committee and Public Debt
- Achieving true lasting reconciliation
- Beijing breathing easier?
- Denial then defiance Former sex slave in Argentina fights for justice
- Political Leadership is the root cause for laws delays
- Saudi-led coalition to give $1.5 b in Yemen aid, expand port capacity
- Sparks fly over Power and Energy Sector CEB, PUCSL and Ministry clash as electricity crisis looms
- Mahinda cannot destroy Maithri
- Govt has not lost a red cent from Bond transactions
- Participatory citizenship is important - Rosy
- I have a master plan - Salley
- All set for Free and Fair LG Polls – Mahinda Deshapriya
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Forecast your own destiny An astrological guide
- Kala Sarpa Yoga will test sustainability of government
- TIMING OF EVENTS –CHILD BIRTH
- Season for Marriage and Construction
- Cancer Causing Vastu Defects
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Indu & Sanwada We have so much in common
- The Writer’s Kitchenette Vietnamese Fusion Rice Wraps
- ‘Derana Champion’ Shines with OPPO
- A Possible Fallout as US freezes Funds for Palestinian refugees
- Jungle loving President Premadasa
- How Felix Dias became Bandaranaike
- IT IS MY CHOICE
- In your own skin be the barrel you want
- Dear Patriarchy,Dilshani Palugaswewa tells it like it is in this open letter