Kandy SC made to labour for victory
By Nadeesha Chathuranga
Kandy Sports Club had to work really hard to beat CH & FC in their match held at the Kandy Sports Club Grounds Nittawela.
Kandy SC was under pressure until the very last try of the match scored by Oshan Perera, the wing three quarter, to win the match by 34 points to 23.
CH took advantage of mistakes made by Kandy in the early stages of the game to score. CH centre Lee Keegal was outstanding during this period and scored a very good try.
Kandy buckled down to their task to score a couple of tries and reduce the pressure. Full back Nigel Ratwatte had a marvelous game, scoring a try which he himself converted and putting over a penalty. It was an amazing performance from him.
CH winger Hashan Maduranga had a good game and also scored a try and it looked like CH were on the road to victory, but at the crucial moment they conceded a try and with it hopes were lost.
For Kandy Sreenath Sooriyabandara the scrum half had a great game. He passed the ball and defended well. He also scored a try. His experience playing for Sri Lanka was used so well it was beautiful to watch.
Senior man Fazil Marija, the fly half and Gayan Weeraratne, the captain, also played a good game. Both scored tries which helped the team to overcome their gritty opponents.
Navy SC vs CR&FC
Navy SC easily beat CR & FC by 34 points to 18 in their match played at Navy Grounds in Welisara.
The Navy team knew they were up against a dangerous opponent and had to play their best rugby if they were to come on top and rose to the task magnificently.
Navy skipper and flanker Dhanushka Perera led his team from the front and scored a great try aswell. Full back Thilina Weerasinghe also had a good game and was one of the try scorers.
Another player who impressed was hooker Dulanjana Wijesinghe who came up with a good performance and was rewarded with a try.
CR is going through a rough patch. Only prop Kokila Sammandapperuma and winger Sashan Mohamed managed to cross the line, while place kicker Tharinda Ratwatte put over one penalty and one conversion. CR will have to get their act together if they are to climb up the points table.
Air Force vs Army
Air Force Sports Club beat Army Sports Club in their match played at the Air Force Grounds in Ratmalana. Air Force won a great game by 33 points to 10.
Winger Pabasara Hewage scored a great try and he was ably supported by winger Ishara Madushanka who also scored a great try.
Their forwards also played their best game and put pressure on the Army team. Fly half Gayantha Iddamalgoda also scored with prop Lahiru Udayakumara completing the try fest. So it was a great game by them.
S. Dikkumbura and Sampath Rosa were the try scorers for Army, but overall they lost very badly.
Draw at Police Park
In another league match the match between Havelock Sports Club and Police Sports Club ended in a 24 all draw.
Ramesh Fernando and Sharo Fernando scored the tries for Havelocks. Wajith Fawmy and Chanaka Udara scored for Police, who played exceptionally well as a team to hold the Havies to a surprise draw.
- Power Play in Syria: What Turkish Moves Mean For US And Russia
- Houthis’ Ballistic Missiles Triggering Regional War Or Concealed Iranian Tests?
- Zuma’s Fall: Why is South Africa So Divided?
- Karuna backs SLPP, set to meet Rajapaksa this week MR must merge North and East - Karuna
- Cry Sis! Women insist on 25% quota
- Ban on Philippine workers in Kuwait Increases demand for Lankans Job agents told to seize opportunity
- Lasantha murder suspects re-remanded
- Conference on Disarmament UNSG welcomes SL’s decision
- No show in Court Warrant re-issued on Jaliya
- Lankan maid commits suicide in Kuwait
- SEUSL VC advises new intake
- Aranayake landslide victims Families still languish homeless
- Sivalingam resigns as CWC Chair Thondaman takes over
- Academics come out in support of Ranil
- EC Chair meets Speaker Proposes reforming LG law
- Active Liability Management Bill presented to Parliament
- Govt to initiate artificial rain generation Projects near hydropower plants
- Karu writes to Maldivian counterpart Requests intervention in Malé crisis
- Politicos pontificate on LG Polls result Opposition’s dream of toppling Govt failed – Rajitha Sampanthan accuses MR of racism
- Decision on future of Unity Govt UPFA awaits SC interpretation Thilanga confirms Prez seeking SC opinion on PM’s removal
- More electorates than members - PAFFREL
- Considering the country at large Pro-Sirisena faction to stay in Govt - SB Dissanayake Demand significant changes to power structure
- PCoI Bonds scam and PRECIFAC reports Debate today
- Tighten laws to curb narcotics – Cardinal
- Delimitation Com report handed over
- Black Caps coach rejects call to scrap T20
- Richmond in comprehensive win
- Arsenal announce record shirt deal with Emirates
- Olympics reels as ‘clean’ Russian curler hit by doping case
- Kandy SC too good for Airmen
- Red Stars SC emerge division I champions
- Hundreds participate in CISM Run
- Australia’s most-capped female player Blackwell retires
- Kohli limps off as India beat South Africa in first T20
- Kvitova takes Qatar title to clinch top 10 return
- Real Madrid win eight-goal thriller
- Watson’s wait ends with third Riviera triumph
- Coleman breaks 60m indoor world record
- Federer wins Rotterdam for 97th title
- No majority in Galle UC
- We played as one family – Chandimal
- Pakistan’s Imran Khan marries for third time
- Federer on top of the world
- Man Utd into Cup quarters
- Cavani, Neymar key as PSG rebound from Madrid gloom
- Global interest in Hilton and Hyatt Colombo Hotels
- New rule for hiring SL domestics in UAE
- Cost of construction to go up by 7% - RIU
- DIMO mulls expansion in Cambodia and other ASEAN countries
- BOC appoints new GM/CEO
- Sri Lanka Tourism promotes niche products in India
- ‘Spot’ falls 35 cents to Rs 155.35/45
- Facebook told to stop tracking in Belgium
- Asia trades higher as markets in China on holiday
- Banking restrictions - major barrier to Iran trade relations
- Foreign exits from GSM top $50M
- Seylan Group reports Profit-After-Tax over Rs 5 B
- Huawei to participate at Mobile World Congress 2018
- Fairway Holdings vertical luxury high rise apartments - Elements
- Maha Shivarathri Pooja at Sri Lanka Insurance
- Emirates transports UAE’s first satellite
- Indian Bank ramping up overseas operations
- OPEC and Shale keep oil prices at $60-$75
- EU joins global growth bandwagon
- CHINT launches ‘CHINT POWER Series’ switches and sockets
- Subramanian Swamy’s love-hate relationship with Sri Lanka
- Tea, haircuts and fish bones Letting the light into Pakistan
- REVISITING SRI LANKA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- Howlers that wreck language
- Pursuing Peace The UN’s lack of accountability
- Current Marketing Practices Customer is King! Does it really apply to us?
- Writing project for young Syrian refugees
- The March of Folly A simple solution – Ranil goes
- Civil society group writes to EC, Speaker & Party Leaders DON’T default in implementing 25% quota for Women
- Give women more time to give birth, make choices - WHO
- President and PM are responsible for the election results
- Basil says…Await the return of ‘Spiritual Leader’ MR
- Rajapaksas’ Presidential hopeful is Gota
- Sins of the past Govt cannot be forgotten- Anura Kumara
- Law and order is quite weak
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- REV. PROF BELLANWILA WIMALARATANA THERA
- Why Masses Brought Victory to Past President
- White Sapphire absorbs the power of Venus
- Partial eclipse that occurred on Feb 16
- Effects of Sun in Aquarius
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Never say never to anything!
- What’s In My Bag I want to carry my dog Ricky Ruchira
- Indian Elegance Raaya Clothing & Accessories
- Election promises that took people for a ride
- 7 killed in Florida school shooting by former student: sheriff
- Man with moustache who went to Rajarata a thousand times in a ramshackle Jeep