Revocation of excise notice lifting ban on women Another FR petition to be filed by 20 females
BY Ruwan Laknath Jayakody and Kavindya Perera
Another fundamental rights petition is to be filed by 20 females against the Government's revocation of the excise notification lifting the ban imposed on the purchase of liquor by women and them being employed at a place of production and/or the sale of liquor.
Among the petitioners are Founder Chairperson of the Women's Chamber of Commerce, Chole de Soysa, actress Swarna Mallawarachchi and Savithri Rodrigo. De Soysa had signed the petition on 22 January.
De Soysa speaking to Ceylon Today said, "We argue that there is no difference between man and woman and that there cannot be any differentiation between men and women. Everybody is the same. A rule is a rule. If nobody can buy liquor, that is one thing. But if a man can buy and a woman cannot, that is not fair. It is ridiculous."
Previously, on 17 January, 11 women filed a Fundamental Rights case [S.C. (FR) Application Number SC/FR/25/2018] naming Minister of Finance and Mass Media Mangala Samaraweera, Secretary – the Ministry of Finance and Mass Media/Treasury Secretary Dr. R.H.S. Samaratunga and the Attorney General as the respondents.
The petitioners stated that their fundamental rights, as guaranteed in Articles 12(1), 12(2) and 14(1)(g) of the Constitution, had been violated by the first and second respondents who are not legally entitled to revoke or amend the said excise notification (dated 10 January).
Article 12 guarantees the right to equality and the equal protection of the law while Article 12(2) provides for the freedom from discrimination on the basis of sex which in Article 12(3) further extends to the right to non-discrimination in relation to access to shops, public restaurants, and hotels.
Elsewhere, Article 14 (1) (g) enshrines the right to engage in a lawful occupation, profession, trade, business and enterprise while Article 14(1)(h) allows for the freedom of movement.
Furthermore, the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women to which Sri Lanka is a State Party to, by way of being a signatory and having ratified the Convention too imposes similar obligations on the Government of Sri Lanka, with regard to women and their rights.
The Ministry of Finance and Mass Media on 18 January re-imposed the ban by withdrawing the two Gazette Notifications issued under the Excise Ordinance earlier, which had lifted the ban on women buying liquor and working in places where liquor is manufactured or sold, in addition to relaxing the business hours of liquor establishments. Accordingly, the prohibition on selling liquor to women and employing women in places where liquor is manufactured or sold has been re-imposed under Excise Notification Number 4 of 2018 signed by Samaraweera. The other Gazette Extraordinary containing the Excise Notification No. 03 of 2018 has re-introduced the previous business hours for liquor establishments.
Mallawarachchi was not available for comment.
- Khaleda Zia’s conviction and its repercussions
- China is biggest impediment to Korean reunification
- Trump’s Budget Priorities: Crimes Against Humanity?
- Mahanayake Thera of Asgiriya Chapter says Unity Govt should be scrapped
- Corruption case against Wimal on 16 May
- Govt won’t last till next General Election - JO
- Lankan fisherman yearns to return home
- EU awards 18 schols To promote sustainable consumption and production
- Ready for a rally
- Harassing tribal woman Lankan held in Andhra Pradesh
- People are very angry says Mavai
- Awards for bright religious students
- Delimitation Committee Report Govt must hold APC CaFFE
- Father of two requires urgent kidney transplant Seeks public help to raise Rs 1.5 M
- 2014 Aluthgama riot Govt to compensate victims in March & April
- Gajaba Regiment hands out schols
- Leadership training for principals suspended
- PAFFREL urges Appoint maximum number of women possible
- Tender irregularities hinted at A/L Tab Project temporarily suspended Project is being re-evaluated Rajitha
- CID wants INTERPOL ‘Red Notice’ on Mahendran
- Inquest into Bellanwila thera’s death Coroner complains to IGP Claims Boralesgamuwa Police ignored warnings
- 14 Hump Nosed Lizards born at Dehiwala Zoo
- EC informs party secys and ind group leaders 25% of 8,356 elected must be women Speaker says 25% quota not scrapped
- SL bidder for EAP Group chastises CBSL Over negotiation process
- Non-renewal of MoU Unity Govt cannot continue – Opposition
- In form CR to try and outmatch Kandy
- Havelocks face Navy SC at Race Course
- Madushanka doubtful for Nidahas Trophy
- SLSRFA to conduct workshop
- Trinity close on heels of St. Aloysius
- Khan leads Afghanistan to thumping series win
- Sri Lanka face India in the curtain raiser
- Third doping scandal hits Games
- Bayliss willing to step aside as T20 coach
- Brazilian match abandoned after brawl
- Shirantha promises transparency and accountability in NOC
- Rashid, Bumrah joint No.1 in ODI rankings
- Wigan shock Man City
- Black Caps coach rejects call to scrap T20
- Richmond in comprehensive win
- Arsenal announce record shirt deal with Emirates
- Olympics reels as ‘clean’ Russian curler hit by doping case
- Kandy SC too good for Airmen
- Red Stars SC emerge division I champions
- Hundreds participate in CISM Run
- Sampath Bank reports Profit After Tax above Rs 12B
- Dfcc Bank records impressive performance in 2017
- Hayleys Advantis partners IRONMAN 70.3 Colombo
- SL troops facelift Sakkotei tourist attraction
- Pantum becomes distributor for EWIS Peripherals
- Hyundai Lanka appoints AutoMaasters as authorized dealer in Jaffna
- Will online retailing outdo traditional retailing?
- Sarvodaya Finance joins LankaPay Common ATM Network
- JLanka Technologies to participate at Architect 2018
- Edirisinghe Brothers’ Hybrid Hub, SLIC to open Hybrid Vehicle Clinics
- NDB holds all-night Pirith ceremony
- AI-powered Dialog Voice Agent now on Google Assistant
- SLIM represents SL at prestigious conference in Asia
- NTB American Express travel around the world winners to visit five cities
- Munchee Super Cream Crackers ranks on top
- Ceylinco Life donates High Dependency Unit to Kalubowila Hospital
- Asian shares slip as dollar firms
- Cabinet approval underway for National Audit Bill Bill to be tabled in Parliament shortly
- Unpoliticized Maritime Promotion Bureau required: Ports Authority Chairman
- ComBank licensed for Microfinance operations in Myanmar
- Bouncing back from LG election drubbing
- Subramanian Swamy’s love-hate relationship with Sri Lanka
- Tea, haircuts and fish bones Letting the light into Pakistan
- REVISITING SRI LANKA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- Howlers that wreck language
- Welcome to Earth
- Can nuclear technology zap hunger?
- Trapped by the system Ethiopian workers in Lebanon see no freedom
- Current Marketing Practices Customer is King! Does it really apply to us?
- Writing project for young Syrian refugees
- Gota is Lankan Putin – Gammanpila
- President and PM are responsible for the election results
- Basil says…Await the return of ‘Spiritual Leader’ MR
- Rajapaksas’ Presidential hopeful is Gota
- Sins of the past Govt cannot be forgotten- Anura Kumara
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- REV. PROF BELLANWILA WIMALARATANA THERA
- Why Masses Brought Victory to Past President
- White Sapphire absorbs the power of Venus
- Partial eclipse that occurred on Feb 16
- Effects of Sun in Aquarius
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Never say never to anything!
- What’s In My Bag I want to carry my dog Ricky Ruchira
- Indian Elegance Raaya Clothing & Accessories
- Election promises that took people for a ride
- 7 killed in Florida school shooting by former student: sheriff
- Man with moustache who went to Rajarata a thousand times in a ramshackle Jeep