RICE WATER FOR SKIN AND HAIR
BY PANCHAMEE HEWAVISSENTI
Rice is the staple food in many Asian countries including Sri Lanka and is often eaten for all three meals. In the process of cooking rice, water that is used to wash rice is often drained and wasted, but that can be used to treat skin as well as hair. Rice water had been extensively used by ancient women in Asian countries such as China and Japan to treat hair and to obtain longer, healthier, manageable and black hair.
Even today, many women who are fans of rice water claim that it helps repair damaged hair and prevents hair breakage while promoting hair growth. Rice water also works as a natural conditioner for hair.
Rice water is said to contain vitamins B, C and E which help nourishing the skin and the scalp. It also contains powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds which minimize the damage caused by free radicals during the process of ageing. So, rice water can be a good anti-ageing beauty treatment.
Many Asian women who use rice water for their skin have experienced that rice water helps tighten the saggy skin and help shrink pores on facial skin. It is also used to treat acne, pimples and blemishes on face and proven treatment to enhance skin
Rice water is commonly prepared in three ways and each is an effective care to the hair and skin.
Rice wash is obtained after rinsing rice and it is an easy and effortless process. Organic rice is highly recommended for eating as well preparing rice water for the beauty purposes as it has no or very less toxic substances or chemicals. When making rice wash, first wash off the rice lightly to remove any dirt and then soak the rice for five minutes and wash well to obtain highly nutritious rice wash. Thus obtained rice wash can be used for the face as well as hair.
Pour the rice wash in a bottle and keep it in the refrigerator and use it as a face wash and a toner. You can also pour the rice wash into a spray bottle to use as a skin toner. Sprinkle the rice wash on your face after washing face and leave on. This works as an excellent skin toner and can be used regularly instead of your present toner which is made of chemicals.
You can also sprinkle rice water on your skin to soothe skin irritation caused by rashes and allergies. Rice water is also a good treatment for sun burns due to its cooling effect.
Boiled rice wash
You can also prepare boiled rice water at the time of cooking rice. When preparing boiled rice water, you need to add three times more water to the rice than you usually use when cooking rice. When the rice starts boiling, you can strain the additional water and leave sufficient water in the rice cooker for the rest of the rice to be cooked. Boiled rice water is highly concentrated and you can add a tea spoon of lime juice and little water to dilute the rice water concentration to use as a face wash. Apart from using as a face wash, the thick solution of rice water can be used as a face mask too.
You can also use the boiled rice water as a hair mask. Massage the boiled rice water into your scalp and leave it for 15 minutes and rinse off.
The leftover boiled rice water can be stored in the refrigerator up to a week.
Fermented Rice Wash
Fermented rice water can be made by letting the rice wash ferment for 12-24 hours in the room temperature. It is said that the composition of the rice wash transforms during fermentation process. It is scientifically proven that the pH value of fermented rice water is consistent with the pH value of hair. Hence, fermented rice water can be an ideal hair treatment.
It is also found out that during the process of fermentation of rice, a chemical substance called Pitera is released which helps regeneration of cells in skin. Fermented rice water can be used as a facial wash and can be added when making face masks. It helps prevent wrinkles, fine lines and reduces scars.
Apart from application of the rice water on skin and scalp, many people in Sri Lanka prefer drinking boiled rice water for health purposes due to high nutrients present in the boiled rice water. Some people prefer drinking the raw rice water that is obtained by washing rice after removing the dirt.
You can also make a body and face scrub with rice, if you use rice specially to prepare rice water. Without wasting the rice grins that are used to prepare rice water, you can finely grind the rice and add lime juice and olive oil (you can also add coconut oil if you prefer) to the grinded rice to make rice scrub. This rice scrub will exfoliate your skin while giving it essential nourishment.
Rice water can be easily prepared at home as a part of your daily beauty regime and is totally cost effective. By making use of the drained rice water to enhance your beauty, you can minimize the wastage while saving on expensive skin and hair care products.
- UNP vows to protect President won’t let jo own him
- UNPers to stand by Ranil
- Range Bandara quits as UNP Anamaduwa Organizer
- Appointment of 25% women to LG bodies Decision today Polls Chief
- Southeast Asia’s shifting sands of terrorism
- Katchatheevu Church Feast Sinhala mass for the first time 13,000 to land on island
- No-Faith against Ranil not needed – Gammanpila
- Civil society orgs demand referendum Want Executive Presidency abolished
- Kandiah Neelakandan no more
- Donation of necklace to Temple of the Tooth Principal warned CP Edu Minister
- Army recruits 50 Tamil youths Rehabilitated ex-LTTE cadres too
- Kalmunai Beach Mosque 196th Flag hoisting ceremony held
- NPC Women’s Affairs meeting
- Trump’s Immigration Plan: Sound Start for Compromise
- Congo justifies oil exploration in national parks
- To discuss premiership issue PM and Speaker meet Prez UNP claims problem solved
- City Coroner complains to Fort Magistrate Call to probe death of Bellanwila Thera Monk was moved from CSGTH against medical advice
- Will Transitional Justice wither? Int’l community in quandary over LG polls results
- INTERPOL REFUSES TO DELIVER SUMMONS TO MAHENDRAN ARREST WARRANT TO BE SOUGHT AFTER MARCH 8 IF…
- Govt now trying to postpone PC polls
- President has not consulted me yet – AG
- Govt brought in 19A to block Rajapaksas We also can change 19A – Basil
- November 2012 Welikada Prison Massacre Second eyewitness ready to come forward
- President pressed to find suitable PM Political crisis continues
- South China Sea Unmanned vessels and future operations
- Federer on top of the world
- Man Utd into Cup quarters
- Cavani, Neymar key as PSG rebound from Madrid gloom
- Barca grind out victory before Chelsea trip
- Kvitova powers through to Qatar final
- ISAC 2018 23 schools will participate
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Sumanasinghe scores second ton
- Packeer Ali to be appointed Head Coach
- England win but Munro ensures New Zealand in final
- Premier League Super 8 round NCC and Ports Authority CC win
- Sri Lankans win singles and doubles titles
- National Cross Country Championship 2018 Samantha and Nilani win Both athletes had to go through ridiculous bureaucratic red tape after returning to SL with Gold medals Officials show their vested interests instead of flexibility for International medal winners
- Premier League Club Cricket Tier ‘A’ Chilaw Marians CC emerge champions
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Kamindu Mendis scores fourth ton
- Unified Korean team lose again despite goalie heroics
- Loyola - Christ King Inaugural ‘Battle of Friends’ Big match ends in a draw
- Smith looks forward to pace challenge
- Mendis powers Sri Lanka to 210-4
- Mendis drives Sri Lanka to T20 series sweep
- Premier League ‘Tier ‘B’ Negombo CC emerge champions
- Global Independent Audit Regulators meet in Colombo
- Shares end the week positive
- Thailand to seek approval for FTA with Sri Lanka
- Rupee stabilizes despite political instability
- SL to purchase 12 train engines for upcountry line
- UK retail sales show weak growth despite gym wear boost
- Royal Mint gets first woman boss in 1,100 years
- CBSL prints Rs 606M
- Stocks closed mixed on the day Sharply higher for the week
- Allowing Financial Technology Will Reduce Borrowing Costs
- CSSL offers support for tech startups
- Ceylinco General Insurance records excellent results in 2017
- CA Sri Lanka Business Plan Competition 2018 kicks off this month
- HNB Grameen Finance Limited signs MoU with DIMO
- Raigam launches ‘DeveniBatha – Bundi Full’ instant rice noodle
- SL - high potential market for Database Security: Oracle
- Jack Ma’s secrets, hiring women for the profits and rising early
- Trumps Solutions brings the digital force to advertising with VLT
- Inaugural leadership programme conducted for students of Olcott Schools
- Fashion Bug bags Gold Award for Best Key Account Partner from Triumph
- Subramanian Swamy’s love-hate relationship with Sri Lanka
- Tea, haircuts and fish bones Letting the light into Pakistan
- REVISITING SRI LANKA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- Howlers that wreck language
- Pursuing Peace The UN’s lack of accountability
- Give women more time to give birth, make choices - WHO
- Ask “Dr. Love”: mobile app teaches Congolese youth about safe sex
- Bulgaria rejects treaty to combat violence against women
- Progress on global goals ‘unacceptably slow’ for women, says UN
- The Great American Buddhist Leader
- President and PM are responsible for the election results
- Basil says…Await the return of ‘Spiritual Leader’ MR
- Rajapaksas’ Presidential hopeful is Gota
- Sins of the past Govt cannot be forgotten- Anura Kumara
- Law and order is quite weak
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- REV. PROF BELLANWILA WIMALARATANA THERA
- Why Masses Brought Victory to Past President
- White Sapphire absorbs the power of Venus
- Partial eclipse that occurred on Feb 16
- Effects of Sun in Aquarius
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Never say never to anything!
- What’s In My Bag I want to carry my dog Ricky Ruchira
- Indian Elegance Raaya Clothing & Accessories
- Election promises that took people for a ride
- 7 killed in Florida school shooting by former student: sheriff
- Man with moustache who went to Rajarata a thousand times in a ramshackle Jeep