Kandy’s stranglehold continues
By Nadeesha Chathuranga
Kandy Sports Club were crowned champions of the inter club league tournament when they defeated Havelocks Sports Club by 30 points to 28 during their match which was held in Kandy Sports Club grounds in Nittawela on Sunday.
With that Kandy have won the league tournament 19 times and no other team has won more than them. It was a great performance from the Kandy team to win the league again after a memorable season.
Last year it was not easy for Kandy because they lost some matches in the first round and as a result of that they had to play their best game in the second round. But this time they have been super from the start of the season to the end of the season.
They remained unbeaten and great to watch.
The match against Havelocks Sports Club was the last game of Kandy's fly half Fazil Marija at home. He played a brilliant game and was able to score a hat trick of tries, which helped towards their win very much. All three tries of Fazil were unbelievable and only he could score tries like that.
Only other try scorer of that match was centre Gayan Weeraratne, who too played his best game. He is the one who scored the first try and gave Kandy the momentum and the team was able to take advantage from then on.
Havelocks tried hard, but they could not finish the game in style. Lasindu Karunathilake the number 8 was great again for Havelocks as he scored two tries.
Navy SC Vs Air Force SC
Navy Sports Club also won their game on the last day when they beat Air Force Sports Club by 50 points to 28 in a great game at Air Force Grounds in Ratmalana.
Navy scored some great tries in this match and their prop forward Kasun Silva scored two of those tries. Kasun Silva is one of the strongest players of their team and he did well in the scrums and line outs and was able to score two tries. Full back Thilina Weerasinghe is also a classy player who has scored many tries for his team. Last year also he played a super game for Navy and this season he continued his great performances for Navy.
Air Force hero Charith Seneviratne scored a try and did some conversions which was a good effort from him, but he has to improve on his defensive play.
Army SC Vs Police SC
Army Sports Club scored an outstanding win beating Police Sports Club by 50 points 36 at Police Park. Army's Gayan Salinda had a great match as he scored and put over some penalties and conversions together with some great runs. So it was a great performance from him.
Police tried hard until the last minute but they could not create as many chances as Army did in the game. That is why they lost the game.
CH&FC Vs CR&FC
CH & FC won in the last minute of the match when their winger Hashan Maduranga scored a great try to win the game by 25 points to 24. CH's other try scorers were Samuel Maduwantha, Sudarshana Muthuthanthri and N. Deshatha, while Maduwantha did the kicking to add extra points.
CR played well in the first half as Omalka Gunarathne and Kavindu Perera went on to score, but at crucial times CR made mistakes as a team.
- UNP vows to protect President won’t let jo own him
- UNPers to stand by Ranil
- Range Bandara quits as UNP Anamaduwa Organizer
- Appointment of 25% women to LG bodies Decision today Polls Chief
- Southeast Asia’s shifting sands of terrorism
- Katchatheevu Church Feast Sinhala mass for the first time 13,000 to land on island
- No-Faith against Ranil not needed – Gammanpila
- Civil society orgs demand referendum Want Executive Presidency abolished
- Kandiah Neelakandan no more
- Donation of necklace to Temple of the Tooth Principal warned CP Edu Minister
- Army recruits 50 Tamil youths Rehabilitated ex-LTTE cadres too
- Kalmunai Beach Mosque 196th Flag hoisting ceremony held
- NPC Women’s Affairs meeting
- Trump’s Immigration Plan: Sound Start for Compromise
- Congo justifies oil exploration in national parks
- To discuss premiership issue PM and Speaker meet Prez UNP claims problem solved
- City Coroner complains to Fort Magistrate Call to probe death of Bellanwila Thera Monk was moved from CSGTH against medical advice
- Will Transitional Justice wither? Int’l community in quandary over LG polls results
- INTERPOL REFUSES TO DELIVER SUMMONS TO MAHENDRAN ARREST WARRANT TO BE SOUGHT AFTER MARCH 8 IF…
- Govt now trying to postpone PC polls
- President has not consulted me yet – AG
- Govt brought in 19A to block Rajapaksas We also can change 19A – Basil
- November 2012 Welikada Prison Massacre Second eyewitness ready to come forward
- President pressed to find suitable PM Political crisis continues
- South China Sea Unmanned vessels and future operations
- Federer on top of the world
- Man Utd into Cup quarters
- Cavani, Neymar key as PSG rebound from Madrid gloom
- Barca grind out victory before Chelsea trip
- Kvitova powers through to Qatar final
- ISAC 2018 23 schools will participate
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Sumanasinghe scores second ton
- Packeer Ali to be appointed Head Coach
- England win but Munro ensures New Zealand in final
- Premier League Super 8 round NCC and Ports Authority CC win
- Sri Lankans win singles and doubles titles
- National Cross Country Championship 2018 Samantha and Nilani win Both athletes had to go through ridiculous bureaucratic red tape after returning to SL with Gold medals Officials show their vested interests instead of flexibility for International medal winners
- Premier League Club Cricket Tier ‘A’ Chilaw Marians CC emerge champions
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Kamindu Mendis scores fourth ton
- Unified Korean team lose again despite goalie heroics
- Loyola - Christ King Inaugural ‘Battle of Friends’ Big match ends in a draw
- Smith looks forward to pace challenge
- Mendis powers Sri Lanka to 210-4
- Mendis drives Sri Lanka to T20 series sweep
- Premier League ‘Tier ‘B’ Negombo CC emerge champions
- Global Independent Audit Regulators meet in Colombo
- Shares end the week positive
- Thailand to seek approval for FTA with Sri Lanka
- Rupee stabilizes despite political instability
- SL to purchase 12 train engines for upcountry line
- UK retail sales show weak growth despite gym wear boost
- Royal Mint gets first woman boss in 1,100 years
- CBSL prints Rs 606M
- Stocks closed mixed on the day Sharply higher for the week
- Allowing Financial Technology Will Reduce Borrowing Costs
- CSSL offers support for tech startups
- Ceylinco General Insurance records excellent results in 2017
- CA Sri Lanka Business Plan Competition 2018 kicks off this month
- HNB Grameen Finance Limited signs MoU with DIMO
- Raigam launches ‘DeveniBatha – Bundi Full’ instant rice noodle
- SL - high potential market for Database Security: Oracle
- Jack Ma’s secrets, hiring women for the profits and rising early
- Trumps Solutions brings the digital force to advertising with VLT
- Inaugural leadership programme conducted for students of Olcott Schools
- Fashion Bug bags Gold Award for Best Key Account Partner from Triumph
- Subramanian Swamy’s love-hate relationship with Sri Lanka
- Tea, haircuts and fish bones Letting the light into Pakistan
- REVISITING SRI LANKA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- Howlers that wreck language
- Pursuing Peace The UN’s lack of accountability
- Give women more time to give birth, make choices - WHO
- Ask “Dr. Love”: mobile app teaches Congolese youth about safe sex
- Bulgaria rejects treaty to combat violence against women
- Progress on global goals ‘unacceptably slow’ for women, says UN
- The Great American Buddhist Leader
- President and PM are responsible for the election results
- Basil says…Await the return of ‘Spiritual Leader’ MR
- Rajapaksas’ Presidential hopeful is Gota
- Sins of the past Govt cannot be forgotten- Anura Kumara
- Law and order is quite weak
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- REV. PROF BELLANWILA WIMALARATANA THERA
- Why Masses Brought Victory to Past President
- White Sapphire absorbs the power of Venus
- Partial eclipse that occurred on Feb 16
- Effects of Sun in Aquarius
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Never say never to anything!
- What’s In My Bag I want to carry my dog Ricky Ruchira
- Indian Elegance Raaya Clothing & Accessories
- Election promises that took people for a ride
- 7 killed in Florida school shooting by former student: sheriff
- Man with moustache who went to Rajarata a thousand times in a ramshackle Jeep