Screening ‘No Fire Zone’ illegally Lena Hendry found guilty

  👤  3935 readers have read this article !
By 2017-02-22

Activist Lena Hendry has been found guilty, by a Malaysian Magistrate's Court yesterday, for allegedly screening a documentary on the Sri Lankan civil war without the approval of the Censor Board.

Magistrate Mohd Rezan Mohd Aris found the Pusat Komas programme manager guilty of censorship charges after the defence failed to prove reasonable doubt on the prosecution's case.
He did not hand out any sentence after Hendry's lawyer, New Sin Yew, requested a written submission to be handed in. "He found her guilty but he has fixed sentencing for another day. He wants a written submission by first of March," New told reporters after the case today. Yew added if convicted, Hendry would face up to three years' jail or a fine not exceeding RM 30,000, under Section 6(1)(b) of the Film Censorship Act, 2002 in Malaysia.

Mohd Rezan also set March 22 for the next hearing and sentencing. The prosecution was represented by Nor Akma Farhan Aziz. Hendry, meanwhile, said she was disheartened by the decision and said it was done without any proper evidence against her.
"I'm very disappointed. I don't think there was any proof. The conviction was based on the lawyer's allegations," she said adding that her legal team would be filing an appeal. The High Court in September last year reversed the acquittal of Hendry, who was charged in September 2013, under the Film Censorship Act 2002, for screening 'No Fire Zone' without approval from the Censorship Board, and ordered her to enter her defence.

She was alleged to have screened the documentary without authorities' permission at the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Chamber of Commerce Hall on 3 July 2013 at 9 p.m. (Agencies)

COLUMNS

PRINT EDITION

News

Read More

Columns

Read More

Sport

Read More

Focus

Read More

Opinion

Read More

Features

Mosaic

Read More

Lite

Read More

Hello

Read More